Thread: House to House

Just got Roger Landes' & Randal Bays' live cd, just fantastic. #The mix between the zouk and the fiddle is perfect, everything can be heard clearly -- it's like a master class, really, as much as a concert. #Roger's mandolin playing is mighty as well.

Roger, the cd notes mention that there is more information available on the website, but i couldn't find it. #Is there any way you could point me to it or elaborate here on what instruments and tunings you played on what tracks?

Again, really great cd, highly recommended to anyone into trad or just plain great acoutic music.
    Foley #268
    Janish #183
    Newell #22
    Weber D-hole Hyalite

I've got the CD too.. it's really excellent. I am continually enjoying listening to it.

Regards

Marc
    Old Wave A Type Oval Hole Nr. 289
    Paddy Burgin OM Nr. 20128
    Weber Sweet Pea

Thumbs up

They were both here last week for a workshop and concert.

I must mention Shannon Heaton. She was pretty danged amazing. Great flute and whistle player. Her singing 'Wow'd the House' as well.

Anyway, it only takes a few emails and a little financial support from your community to get them to your local venue!

You know, I've probably posted here three times in a couple of years and today I'm doing it twice. I'm proud to say that I was at the house concert in MA where part of House to House was recorded. It was a brilliant night of great music and fun. Both Randall and Roger are great musicians and also great guys.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by (acumando @ May 19 2006, 18:58)
    Just got Roger Landes' & Randal Bays' live cd, just fantastic. The mix between the zouk and the fiddle is perfect, everything can be heard clearly -- it's like a master class, really, as much as a concert. Roger's mandolin playing is mighty as well.

Roger, the cd notes mention that there is more information available on the website, but i couldn't find it. Is there any way you could point me to it or elaborate here on what instruments and tunings you played on what tracks?

Again, really great cd, highly recommended to anyone into trad or just plain great acoustic music.
    Glad you're enjoying the CD. Sorry about that info on the website. Not sure what happened with that, but I can tell you that I played a 4 course flattop and back bouzouki by Stephen Owsley Smith on that record. I tune it GDAD and the low G and D strings are in octaves. It has Black Walnut back and sides and a Western Red Cedar top, Mahogany neck, Pau Ferro fretboard, 24" scale. Steve made it as a spec instrument in 1998 and Chipper Thompson grabbed it right away. I have had the loan of it for a couple of years. I used a capo a lot in those concerts, often at the 3rd, 5th or 7th fret.
    The mando is also by SOS: Koa back, sides and neck, Engelmann Spruce top and Pau Ferro fretboard. Standard tuning. On the slow track "The Piper's Farewell," I played SOS's 1st bouzouki, a 10 stringer called "Ol' Rattler," Tuned DAEAE capod to the 1st fret for Bb.

Quote Originally Posted by (daltai @ May 21 2006, 21:19)
    You know, I've probably posted here three times in a couple of years and today I'm doing it twice. I'm proud to say that I was at the house concert in MA where part of House to House was recorded. It was a brilliant night of great music and fun. Both Randall and Roger are great musicians and also great guys.

Pat
    Thanks Pat. I remember that one fondly. It was hot and the skeeters were out in force! Were you at the Christmas party in that house later that year? That was some night of music, too!

Yes, I was as that one too. I've been to many fine nights of music at that house. Beautiful place too, and really nice folks.

Pat

Hey Roger,

I listened to a couple of snippets on your site. Sounds lovely.

Regarding 'The piper's farewell': it sounds like a tune from the North-East of Scotland to me, but I can't place it. Perhaps something by Skinner or Marshall. What was your source for that? It sounds Scots rather than Irish, to me at any rate.

Cheers

Dagger
    David A. Gordon

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

This is a wonderful recording, on all counts. Kudos to the artists and certainly to the recordist as well.

It's my favorite of the works of both Randal Bays and Roger Landes, that's my personal, subjective indulgence. <GG>

And they make great gifts, kids! <GG>

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Quote Originally Posted by (Dagger Gordon @ May 23 2006, 08:18)
    Hey Roger,

I listened to a couple of snippets on your site. Sounds lovely.

Regarding 'The piper's farewell': it sounds like a tune from the North-East of Scotland to me, but I can't place it. Perhaps something by Skinner or Marshall. What was your source for that? It sounds Scots rather than Irish, to me at any rate.

Cheers

Dagger
    Hi Dagger,

Thanks. You are right about "The Piper's Farewell," which is the name we made up for it. I'm not sure of Randal's source for that tune, perhaps the recesses of his deep tune memory, but I'd love to know the actual title and provenance.

Quote Originally Posted by (sliabhstv @ May 23 2006, 13:14)
    This is a wonderful recording, on all counts. Kudos to the artists and certainly to the recordist as well.

It's my favorite of the works of both Randal Bays and Roger Landes, that's my personal, subjective indulgence. <GG>

And they make great gifts, kids! <GG>

stv
    Thanks Steve! I am really proud of that one.