Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'A' model mandolins

Can you all give me some good brand names of new 'A' model mandolins in the $1800-$2200 bracket. I Know about the Gibsons and the Collings, how about some others.
    Thanks

In that price range, you can't go wrong with the Collings MT...If you have a bit more you won't be bummed with the MT2...I A/Bed most every A (Breedlove, Eastman, Mid-Mo, Epiphone, Rigel, Kentucky and others that I can't think of right now) I could get my hand on and talked with more seasoned mando players and it kept coming back to the Collings...Sorry for just stating the obvious, but I thought I'd put my .o2 in...

That's a nice bracket! In that range, you can get a killer mando. have a lookk at the Eye Candy A style page... If I had that amount to spend, I'd get an Old Wave (http://www.oldwavemandolins.com/), or one of Will Kimble's (http://www.kimblemandolins.com/) if you can find one in that range...

Germain

Check out Amdrew Mowry's work. First class in every way. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

JLP - How do I find info on Amdrew Mowry?
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Arches and Rigel may fall into that range and are an excellent small builder / larger builder. Weber is nice too.

I gotta admit I love my Eastman but that may not be what you're considering... I like how their A's have non traditional headstocks. (I also really like their asymetric two point here is an example at Gianna's violins.

I don't have any financial interest in any of these other than to say I think all of the companies/luthiers/dealers I've listed are great folks.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by
    I gotta admit I love my Eastman but that may not be what you're considering... #
    You beat me to the draw. I agree that the little 504's are very similar to the A series Gibsons in tone.The problem is finding one. These got bought up quickly and I think Eastman is concentrating on there 600 and 800 series more.

The quality of finish is excellent and even superior to some high end name brand products.

I live near Steve Perry's place. If you want I can go down and help you pick one out over the phone, but of course Steve could to.

chuck

Gosh, I cant believe the help i'm getting. Appreciate it.
    I mine for sale right now and if it sells, I will be looking for a replacement real fast.
    Thanks.

Thumbs up

Jack Andrew has a site --- www.Mowrystings.com

I just got my Mowry A about 4 weeks ago and I could not be happier. Pics of the construction process are in the post a pic of your mando forum, Mowry A threads. PM me for more detais if needed. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Another vote for Old Wave, Bills oval hole mandos and dolas are the best I've heard.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Keith Newell, I play #9 and love every minute of it. There is pictures of it else where on the site. Check out Newell #9.

I checked with Old Wave and he has a 9-10 month waiting and Elliott has a year.
    Also I should have mentioned, I'm looking for a strong Bluegrass style mandolin.
    Couldnt get the Mowrystrings.com to work.

If you're just looking for a good bluegrass instrument, just about any used Gibson, Collings, or Flatiron will do.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by (bluegrassjack2 @ May 20 2006, 22:54)
    Couldnt get the Mowrystrings.com to work.
    http://www.mowrystrings.com/ works for me.

Are you looking at something available immediately? Most of the good small builders have a long waiting list, for a good reason. If you want something right away, you might want to check the second-hand market, or the bigger builders such as Eastman and Weber (and Gibson and Collings you mentionned)...

Currently in the classifieds:
    - '93 Flatiron Festival A = $1500
    - '97 Old Wave C = $1800 (2-pointer body, f-holes)

Germain

pick up a 600 series Eastman and take the leftover cash and get a Mid-Mo for camping or the office.

Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Did you see this add in the classified section?

Reply to Ad #18799

chuck

Thanks grandmainger, that Mowry adr worked fine for me. Dont know what went wrong on the other one.

How about that Old Wave C# in the classifieds. I have an Old Wave A5 and it's great for bluegrass as well as anything else.

I'll consider the OW, but I've owned an 'F' because I thought since I played BG, the 'F' was the only way to go. Now I've decided that you dont really have to have an 'F'. Now you're wanting me to look further off the BG standards by looking at a 'C'.
    I'll have to think about that.
    There are too many 'A' choices around. I like OW mandolins though, all the ones i've heard sound good.
    Wonder why i have not heard anyone mention the Heidens, Labedas, Ratcliffs etc. Mowery just told me he had a yr waiting list.

Blog Entries

Heidens cost above $2200. I love my Ratcliff, but don't feel the need to advertise it each and every time someone asks what they should buy. What they should buy is what speaks to them, not what speaks to me, IMHO.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I dont have the tools, know how and patience to build one myself, mandopluker. I'd like to have that ability but I think it takes a special person.

Well there are not many available right now, seems like most luthiers are 4 mos to 2yr waiting. Kratzer has one ready right now. I never heard of the Bulldog mandolin but his pic look good and the price is ok.
    I'd like to get one from an independant Luthier in fairly short time and great quality and sound. Hope I'm not asking for too much. I cud go for an A9 or Mt but would really like to support the independant guys.
    Jack

I've owned the Collings MT, Gibson A9, an Eastman, and played Ratliffs, and if I had the $1800, I'd be all over that Old Wave C in the Classifieds. I sold my Old Wave A to a Cafe member here, and it's one of the few trade-ups I still regret, enough so that I just bought a used Old Wave A from the Classifieds here about a month ago. No regrets whatsoever. Bill is the man. Worth every minute of his waiting list, or just get that C#, and if it's not your thing, you can surely sell it here, maybe to me. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

The Lebeda A5 (US dealer Jeff Cowherd) lists at $2400 for the basic model. This is one nice mandolin for the money. Also, you could search on the board for comments on the Glenn Student A -- it has very good reviews and the price is unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by
    I Know about the Gibsons and the Collings
    My first question would be, what do you know about them, that they exist or that you've played them? #Just curious.