Thread: Canīt make it work

Hi all,
    I have this country band I play mandolin with. Acoustic mandolin works fine (for bluegrass related and slow songs) and so is clean electric mandola for shuffles and swing tune (jazzier playing, clean humbucker tone). Not exactly up to Tiny Moore standards, but hey, I get by.
    The problem are the rock songs (CCR stuff, Sweet Rome Alabama....) I cannot make the thing sound anything like convincing rock electric guitar, particularly for rythm playing. Finally swiched back to acoustic for these tunes which works better (thanks, Sam!) I tried everything including electric octave mandolin but I canīt get that sound. Itīs bad with the rockabilly stuff but even worse with rock. Any sucess stories out there?

thanks Klaus

Who am I and if yes, how many?

I play rock and metal on my emando, power chords and all. It's all about the pickups and mostly the amp for the "sound".

As far as chords go, try not to use the E string becuase it tends to make the sound harsh.

Interesting, what I find lacking is
    1)the closer guitar voicing (essential for rythm vamps and riffs) and
    2) Guitar like bending licks

But I must admit that my setup is far from perfect; neither my current axe nor my amp are anywhere suitable for the genre. I do own an original tubescreamer, though...:D

I hope it's not too obvious to just say, well, a mandolin is not a guitar. It is going to sound like a mandolin, not a guitar. I think the electric and the acoustic/electric mando do have a lot to add to rock tunes, but it is a unique contribution, not the same as a guitar.

If you want an electric guitar sound, the obvious solution is to get an electric guitar. This reminds me of the threads that start a couple of times a year where a guitar player wants to get "that mandolin sound" by either stringing a mando like a guitar or buying a Gibson M-6. That doesn't seem to work either.

I am using a 5 string emando which makes a BIG difference in playing chords. Are you using a 4, 5 or 8 string emando? An 8 string is very tough to make it sound like a electric guitar and less like a mandolin while the 4 and 5 strings can get that rockin guitar sound much better...and the 5 string is better than the 4 because you have the low C which really helps...chord wise.

I agree with Dfyngravity. A 5 string is the best way to get close to electric guitar sound. I use a Rono that is a long scale (a fifth below stand mandolin) and can rock pretty seriously. A lot of the crexdit goes to the POD XT Live, with lots of amp simulations and devices to choose from. Last night I used a Marshall Plexi-45 with some classic compression and it screams! Even my Fender Mandocaster screams. Sustain that would make Santana jealous. And eing a blues guy, I bend all over the place.
    Finally, make sure you are using minimal (e.g power) chord forms an d let the bass and other instruments round out the chords. Then just wait for your solo and KILL.

Clem

My 4 string Ryder sounds just like a rock guitar when I use distortion. #I use a English Muffin and Big Muff pedal into a Blues Jr. and it rocks!!! #Add a little octave and the sound fuzzes up like crazy in a cool way.

Will Hardy

Ithaca Strings Instruments
    Mowry Custom Four String Electric OM (2 years or so)

yup power chords all the way.....and the great thing is that since a mandolin is tuned in 5ths all you have to do in most cases is just bar the strings across one fret(power chords are in 5ths) and just add certain notes to change the power chords around a little.

See My P5 eletric mandolin in the classifieds, if you play in a rock/country-rock band full of guitar dooods, who favor E Maj its Ideal as that its root key, position one..
    just an inch longer string length and its string bending tension perfect.
    {i just dont have any jobs [gigs] that justiify my owning it}

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

The amp only accentuates and exagerates what you've got going with the hands. If you are playing like a bluegrass player, with bluegrassy technique, vocabulary and attack, amping up or fuzzing out is not going to solve your dilemma.

If it is an instrument tuned up to standard mando tuning, I'll opt for an 8-string. There's a lot of voicings and things on it that are not possible with a longer scale/lower pitched instrument. There's too much stuff using string splitting (getting a fat sound) to make it worth (for me) playing electric 4-string.) There's a whole set of tricks and techniques to compensate for being in the higher register, and to fool the ear into assuming that you are lower than you really are.

For single string instrument - I'll opt for a 17"-19" 5 string, tuned and octave down GDAEB or GDAEA. #It's a short scale elec guitar in a "tuning".

If you aren't familiar with rock and blues rhythm guitar figures, you lack a substantial part of the prerequisite knowledge for playing within the genre.

Personally, I like a power trio situation (bass/drums), but with someone else doing the singing, so I don't have to dumb down the playing behind the (my own) vocals (in some cases). I think I prefer having an instrument with a translucent sound quality (organ, pedal steel) over a guitar as a 4th piece. #Of course if you can find the right gtr player it can be great (ala...QMS, Wishbone Ash, early Fleetwood Mac etc.)

NH

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Currently I am using the Neubauer emando which you can see in the eye candy section which is a great instrument but essentially it is a jazz box so not the right instrument for harder, more amplified styles. I plug that into an AER acoustic amp which is great for my Kimble but definitely not the way to go for a rock setting either. The Neubauer is tuned DAEB (a whole step above mandola) which complements the guitar nicely. Maybe the key is that allthough I have been exposed to electric guitar a lot and I know what I want to hear, I never really played electric guitar enough to have worked it all out and thous, I donīt know what I am supposed to emulate in my playing (of course, I also want to add more mandolin like concepts because if I donīt, why not play guitar in the first place?).
    I have seriousely been thinking about picking up guitar because insisting on playing the mandolin doesnt make things easier as a giging (giggling?) musician.
    Niles definetely nailed it insofar that applying bluegrass concepts and particularly phrasing to rock just doesnīt work.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by
    Maybe the key is that allthough I have been exposed to electric guitar a lot and I know what I want to hear, I never really played electric guitar enough to have worked it all out and thous, I donīt know what I am supposed to emulate in my playing (of course, I also want to add more mandolin like concepts because if I donīt, why not play guitar in the first place?).
    Put electric guitar stuff (solos etc) onto mandolin as close as you can get it sonically (paying special attention to attack, tone, vibrato, slurring etc). You want to at least learn what they are doing before putting "mandolin like concepts" into it. This will occur organically when you look for fretboard solutions to really difficult (on mando) passages and bits - finding something that is more mando fingering friendly but essentially does the same job. #Then again, you may find that the technical stretching you are forced into but putting vocabulary from another instrumen opens up a whole different way of thinking about the fretboard, and you'll decide, as you do it more and more and acquire those alternate skills, that it really isn't "too hard" for what you can add to the palette.

When I learned the Hendrix opening for "Little Wing" (on mando), it took months and months of playing to get that. #It's pretty much 90% of what he did - a few bits had to receive some editting for a playable alternative. #Some really "awkward" position shifts and passages, but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right? #Now, years later, it doesn't seem that big a deal as it's all gotten integrated into the way I play. (Hint: trying to restrict yourself to "normal mandolin fingerings" is keeping your mind halfway closed.)

Of course, it you really want the strengths of guitar backup grooves, you could play a mandola/guitar doubleneck, and switch between them for the best sonic outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by
    I have seriousely been thinking about picking up guitar because insisting on playing the mandolin doesnt make things easier as a giging (giggling?) musician.
    It'll eliminate a lot of instrument prejudice (the Charley Pride syndrome) you deal with as a mando player. I won't even use the "M" word if I've got the electric 5-string out among electric players. "I've got it in a Keith Richards tuning" or "Ry Cooder danelectro set-up" - any bs that will provide a plausible (face saving, for them) explanation about why your chord shapes and such are 'different'. #Use the "M word", and someone is sure to suggest playing "Rocky Top" and, presto, you've been pigeonholed right back into the hillbilly ghetto.

(Guitar players tend to get real defensive if you can convincingly rip out something like "Pride & Joy", "Stone Free", or Santana, etc. on a mando. Well, they get rattled if a woman guitar player does the same.)

NH

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

I agree with you there mandocrucian, the acoustic and electric are def. two different beasts. Learning solos from electric guitar on the emando can be hard becuase of the fingering, so yeah you absolutely have to get use to that. I am kind of furtunate in that I started off my music playing on the electric guitar so I have sort of an advantage in learning emando material.

You know a good way to get into the mood and it will help you hear how you want to play is to listen to a bunch of music like you want to play before you pick up the emando to play. You want your brain to listen to electric stuff, you'll be suprised in that you will probably play a little different that if you were to listen to acoustic music.

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Niles is on to something with his indication to work on pick attack. I used to play (acoustically) a lot with a guy who came up as a metal player, and has since branched out to mostly focus on acoustic guitar, and his pick attack would make fiddle tunes sound like metal solos.
    Aside from that, and learning to use pedals well (not an easy thing,) what I most focus on when playing electric rock mandolin, is increasing the lyricism of my lines, something we don't normally associate with the mandolin. That also helps me out quite a bit...

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

I find it really interesting how ten years of (mostly) bluegrass mandolin playing erased practically all knowledge that I had when I was still a (admittedly bad) electric guitar player. That constant 8notes shuffle thing causes a real train wreck with any blues-related rock tune and monroe style is great but not ALWAYS the way to go...