Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Champions Of Ireland - Mandolin

A Google search reveals that she has released a singer/songwriter album and seems to have lived in NYC for some time. She learned the mando as a child from her dad, and there were apparently lots of sessions in the house when she was growing up.

No mention of regular Irish dance band gigs that I could see. She was with a band called the Raheny Band. It's not clear whether that was a folk group or a dance band, but she does seem to have been singing with them.

CD Baby: MARINA MEYLER: Rosy Remedy

David A. Gordon

Paul,

I know what you mean about less than perfect tuning sometimes being effective, and it's perhaps a subject worth exploring in its own right. #

Reading about her, I wonder if that's the case here. I would be surprised if a young woman with a city background (Dublin and NY) was going for a deliberately out-of-tune approach but I guess you never know. That's me stereotyping, I suppose. Would you expect it more from someone who lived out in the sticks?

BTW, I'll be seeing Paul Machlis for dinner at a friends house on Friday. Was he playing piano with you on one of your CDs?

David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by (Dagger Gordon @ June 22 2006, 03:54)
    A Google search reveals that she has released a singer/songwriter album and seems to have lived in NYC for some time. She learned the mando as a child from her dad, and there were apparently lots of sessions in the house when she was growing up.

CD Baby: MARINA MEYLER: Rosy Remedy
    I saw that in eMusic too, but are you sure it's the same person? It looks like it comes from a completely different world.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Quote Originally Posted by (glauber @ June 22 2006, 08:00)
    are you sure it's the same person? It looks like it comes from a completely different world.
    Hmm... could be. Her CDBaby page says she plays mandolin. I sent her an email through CDBaby asking if the mandolin album is also hers. Will let you know what she says if she responds. Be nice, because she'll probably see this thread too.

g
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

Steve,

I have the music by the artists you mention and a lot more besides. #I still appreciate this CD -- as Paul said, nobody is heralding it as any kind of triumph, it is a set of tunes handily played in traditional style on an instrument for which we have precious little in the way of recordings.

I feel pretty certain Ms Meyler did not choose the title of the CD. #It is part of a "Champions of Ireland" series.

I'm sure your post was well-intentioned. As Paul said, if one listens to recordings of older players (if you haven't yet, try finding some from Mrs Galvin of Moyasta, County Clare if you really want an ear-opener) one's notion of what is "acceptable" in Irish traditional music broadens considerably. #

You may have done a lot of listening and still think the Meyler recording is sh!te, then okay, we respectfully have our differences.

Foley #268
    Janish #183
    Newell #22
    Weber D-hole Hyalite

Paul and Acumando (in particular): After posting I realized I should have put in a disclaimer that I wasn't meaning to impune yours, or anyone's opinion ... though that is often what happens when you critique a work. I am well familiar with your work (Paul)... Open House spent many hours in the cassette deck when I first got it. And in some ways I wasn't offering an Ad Hominem attack on Ms. Meyler ... but that too is often the outcome of a critique.

Accumando ... I've been listening to and playing Irish music on stringed instruments for the past 25 years ... and yes I've listened to a lot of the old "stuff" including mandolin. I don't find Ms. Meyler's work comparable ... sorry. Yes there are similarities in the "qualities" of the recordings ... Moyasta, Morrison, Coleman, Kimmel etc. all had the excuses of "ancient" recording technology ... I don't think that's the case here ... if it is then Champions of Irish Music needs to find some new producers. There's really no excuse in this day and age for out of tune instruments, hackneyed tune choice and poor recording quality. Another man's opinion.
    Steve Bennett

Hey Steve, no disrespect intended, i appreciate your experience and opinion.

I'm listening to the recording yet again, i agree the production is not good but i still don't see anything horribly wrong with the playing... it's steady, though she sounds a bit nervous in places. She has a really heavy right hand and i think maybe the mandolin and string gauges are a little light for her style. After listening to some classical mandolin downloads i have, i agree that it sounds like a bowlback.

As i said before, i think the recording sounds like it was done in a hurry and yes, probably could use a better producer and a different instrument. I still appreciate it for what it is. I'm going to leave the thread to those who are better players and more experienced listeners than myself, i think i've analyzed this thing enough.

Peace.
    Foley #268
    Janish #183
    Newell #22
    Weber D-hole Hyalite

Acumando: None taken ... and now that I've had coffee and a moment to reflect and "mellow" out I realize I might have come off as a bit strident ... when what I really meant was "it's all good" though some is better than others.

Steve
    Steve Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by (Dagger Gordon @ June 22 2006, 04:59)
    Paul,

I know what you mean about less than perfect tuning sometimes being effective, and it's perhaps a subject worth exploring in its own right.

Reading about her, I wonder if that's the case here. I would be surprised if a young woman with a city background (Dublin and NY) was going for a deliberately out-of-tune approach but I guess you never know. That's me stereotyping, I suppose. Would you expect it more from someone who lived out in the sticks?

BTW, I'll be seeing Paul Machlis for dinner at a friends house on Friday. Was he playing piano with you on one of your CDs?
    Hey Dagger,

I have no idea whether Ms. Meyler intended for the mandolin to sound that way or not, but I guess I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt on this. I have a certain fondness for raggedy, rackety music, and this one certainly qualifies. Maybe I'm just not critical enough, but to me the clips just sound spunky and old fashioned, and they remind me of a lot of the pre-Bothy Band/Planxty/De Danann recordings of trad Irish music. I certainly wouldn't want to subject anyone else to my tastes, though.

Yes, Paul Machlis and i did play together quite a bit for a while there, and I'm hoping we'll have the opportunity to do so again before too long, although PM has pretty much retired from performing, alas. Please give him my regards. We made a little CD with fiddler Sara Hiebert called Moving Cloud Orchestra (I know, I know, but we had the name first), and I'll stick one in that bundle of CDs I owe you. (No, I haven't forgotten, I'm just incredibly slow.) The CD was recorded "live" in a recital hall in Santa Cruz, and it's very simple and sweet.

I swear I did my best to make sure the mandolin was in tune, and all clams, hackneyed tunes, and intonation problems are purely unintentional and entirely my fault.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by (Paul Kotapish @ June 22 2006, 19:54)
    I have a certain fondness for raggedy, rackety music, and this one certainly qualifies. Maybe I'm just not critical enough, but to me the clips just sound spunky and old fashioned, and they remind me of a lot of the pre-Bothy Band/Planxty/De Danann recordings of trad Irish music. I certainly wouldn't want to subject anyone else to my tastes, though.
    My thoughts, exactly.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

Paul,

You're quite right. Why not give her the benefit of the doubt? If people like her stuff, that's great, and if not, well there's plenty other stuff to listen to.

I've heard your Moving Cloud stuff. Grand, I thought. Very well recorded, too.

Maybe next time you should try to rough it up a bit, eh?
    David A. Gordon

Greetings:

I keep telling myself that "the worst thing about being talked about is not being talked about"...

First, I'd like to thank all of you for the attention my name has received in this forum. #I'd also like to provide you with some clarification. #I want you to know that the Champions of Ireland CD being marketed under my name is a recording I did as a child over twenty years ago in Dublin. #I was paid a nominal sum of money and was not told that the recording would one day be published. #I also want to say that I am not a "champion" in the sense of the word as it applies to Irish traditional music - nor have I ever presented myself as a "champion." #The use of the word champion in conjunction with my name is strictly a fabrication of the publisher of this recording. #Furthermore, if I were a "champion" it would not be in my character to say so.

I was happy to see that some of you have taken the time to read about my debut CD, Rosy Remedy, on the CDBaby website. #The songs on Rosy Remedy are my original works. #While Rosy Remedy is not an album of traditional tunes, I do play mandolin on the last track, "Behind You." #I hope that those of you who've not seen my page on CD Baby will go to it and have a listen to the songs.

This discussion may have provided me the inspiration to produce my own recording of mandolin music. #I play the banjo as well. #After all, I'm a balladeer. #Stay "tuned!"

I'll try to return to answer any other questions you may have as to the Champions of Ireland recording. #I am also available by email, marinameyler@yahoo.com.

Kind regards,

Marina Meyler
    marina meyler

Well, one thing's been made clear...Ms. Meyler is a class act! I, for one, really appreciate her graciousness and hope we hear from her again.
    Steve

Marina, thank you so much for replying. #I hope you won't be shy about contributing to the discussions here, if you'd like to join in.

As a child you could outplay many of us older folk here; i've no doubt any tunes you'd care to record now would be mighty. #Do keep us informed about any future projects and welcome to the Cafe.

All the best to you in your life and work.

Foley #268
    Janish #183
    Newell #22
    Weber D-hole Hyalite

Agreed-- you are a class act, Marina. And my apologies if my remarks were hurtful. Having auditioned some of your Rosy Remedy tracks, I'd really look forward to a new recording from you of mandolin music that represents your current musical sensibilities, skills and style.

That said, I will also say that I think the purveyors of the "Champions of Ireland" series are to be criticized for exploitation of young musicians... IMHO, they owe you (and probably other musicians) an apology at LEAST, and ideally some royalties.

best to you, and I hope you will come back to the cafe sometime...
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Ms. Meyler: I must also apologize and wipe some of the egg off of my face. Nowhere did I read that I was listening to a child/young person playing mandolin ... I though I was listening to a "champion.

Reading a little about the "Champions" series I assumed it was a "make a quick buck" scheme ... and I was probably right ... but it's obvious you were not part of the scheme. It sounds like some unscrupulous folks took advantage of you ... and I'm sorry I added insult to that injury.

Steve Bennett
    Steve Bennett

Always level-headed, you are Paul. The sound of the mando would drive me bonkers (that metallic sound) and I'd be obsessing about getting it to sound "right" to my ears. It feels a little painful to be so critical of someone's playing, but I suppose that if one makes a cd and names it as this one is named, a critique is hard to resist. I'm glad the link to it was listed, though. Maybe I don't have to feel so bad when my own playing sounds choppy. BTW, the Boys and Girls from County Clare is a sweet film. Judith
    Judith

Ever since this thread started I had one thought about the whole thing:
    "Champions of Ireland" - made for Tourists".
    In a strange way I am releived but not surprised to find out Ms Meyler is being misrepresented.