Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman 615: too much mandolin for a beginner?

I'm looking at buying my first (left-handed) mandolin.
    I've been playing guitar for 40 years, and for the last 6 have been focusing on fingerpicking.

I've been enamored with the mandolin sound, and love how it fits in with other instruments (esp. guitar), thus my desire to get one and learn how to play. I still believe, though, that guitar would be my primary instrument, and I don't know at this point how deeply I will get into the mandolin.

I've been reading a lot about mandolins (what a great site this is), and learned a lot about the various brands in the low to medium price range. I do like quality instruments - my primary guitar is a Martin OM28V.

I don't want to go too cheap, as that would probably hinder my learning the instrument. I don't like the look of the Mid-Mos; I haven't heard good things about the MK lefties (righty nut??); the Kentucy 250S @$250 looks interesting, but I would then have to pay for a conversion to lefty; and I LOVE the look of the scroll.

I have a contact that could get me a lefty Eastman MD615 at a really good price, but that is still a few hundred dollars over what I anticipated spending (although I can afford it). I also just found out that Eastman has discontinued all lefties in the 500 series.

So, is the MD615 too much for a mando-newby to start with, considering all this, or should I just take the plunge?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

LeftFrank
    Eastman MD615 Lefty

Frank,

Most of us will tell you that we started off with a less than high quality mandolin and upgraded as soon as our pocketbooks would allow. The advantage is an instrument that you can enjoy playing. If your first mandolin is a quality instrument, you will keep it and play it; and if you decide not to continue, you will probably not sustain too much of a loss if you have to resell. That is the only real disadvantage...giving up a few of your hard earned dollars should you decide not to continue playing. I started with a $125 pawn shop special and within a few months had purchased my first solid wood mandolin. I lost about $75 on that first instrument. If you can find a place or a person who will let you try out a decent mandolin, that would be best, but I know lefties are hard to come by. Hope this helps some.

LeftFrank-
    as someone who has high standards for instruments already (e.g. you're new to mando, but not to fretted strings in general), I think starting with the best instrument you can afford is a good strategy.

However... you have said that this instrument is a bit more expensive than you wanted to spend. Taking the plunge is certainly one option, and only you can weigh the consequences of what the difference in price will cost you.

Other options exist, however. One is (and I'll say this b/c you're new to the Cafe and I'll assume you haven't read this over and over again) that the scroll is a feature that many people love the look/style of, but it adds a lot to the cost of the instrument to build it, and it doesn't contribute substantially to the sound. Some would go so far as to say that they are fancy strap hangers. So, you can get more mando for your money if you aren't attached to buying a scroll. A lot of people don't care for the aesthetics of the Mid-Mo, but they are about the best mando value out there and you'll find many enthusiastic fans of Mid-Mo here on the Cafe... they put all their resources into quality woods and workmanship, and nothing into the frills and decorations. As such, you get a very plain looking but great instrument for the money. There are lots of other great A's that are a little more $ and a less plain looking than the Mid-Mos that would also do you well.

OK... so you might be one of those people who aren't willing to make that particular sacrifice. In which case you can get more mando for your money if you buy a used instrument rather than a new one... and you will be better able to recoup the cost if you ever decide to sell it. Buying new (just like with cars) means that the price tag takes a dive as soon as you drive it off the lot.

I understand that the range of choices available to you are narrower b/c of being a lefty...so it may be harder to shop around. You might ask some of the lefties around here to chime in on what they play and where they found 'em...

good luck on your quest.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

I'd guess that after 40 years of experience with guitars that you won't find the 615 to be too much mando. If you weren't facing the "lefty problem," I'd suggest picking up something through the classifieds here, where good deals abound. You might just try searching through them.
    Hondo

Strange, I tell ya! Lefy 504. I'd take it as a sign that a lefty shows up in the classifieds on the day of your post! As far as the 615 goes, I love mine! I don't think you can find a Lefty F in the price range that compares.

"We are the music-makers,we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thumbs up

Frank I agree with Hondo. With your background and understandanding of music as it is I would say anything less than an Eastman 615 would be a hinderance. I had a 615 and it was a really good mandolin. Go for it and don't look back. Remember to have the instrument properly setup and then get to picking. BTW welcome aboard the cafe. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I started learning the mandolin in January. My first mandolin is an Eastman 815. As a guitar player you already know that starting on a quality instrument with make learning more enjoyable. Just don't forget MAS. Next you'll want a Kentucky to carry around and a super mandolin from some custom builder! Since I started I got the first two, saving up for the third.
    "Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence."

Another point to consider: what kind of music do you play? Will an oval hole suit you, or do you need f holes? If the oval hole sound is fine, I'd certainly consider that lefty 504 in the classifieds.
    Hondo

And ditto to everything that Otterly said. As one who owns both an Eastman with a fancy strap hanger and a Mid-Mo, I don't think you can go wrong with either (though one of them may look a tad nicer)...
    Hondo

One of the things that I consider when getting in to a new hobby, is what if I don't like it after I start. So, I always try to buy the best equipment I can afford to start out with. That way, if I decide to give up and get out, I can usually get most of my money back on a resale.

Eastmans usually hold their value pretty well; more so than the MK or Kentucky 250 that you were considering.

Since you can afford it, go for the 615. I don't think you will regret it.
    Mark

Frank, I’m a lefty as well so I understand the frustration of trying to find a good left handed mandolin, much less an F style. Karen is right about A style mandolins, you generally get a much better instrument and sound for the same money. I too have scroll envy and my next mandolin (due in a year) will have one, but I had to order one from a small builder. Meantime I am playing a great custom built A style from a builder who gives a discount ($1!) to lefties.

I think that any of the Eastmans would do well for you. They produce a reasonably good mandolin at a fair price. In the mandolin world it will not measure up to your Martin, but then you probably didn’t start out with that guitar. Right now you can choose from an Eastman 504 at 499 (Café Classifieds), 515 for 699 (Mandolin Store) or a 615 through your friend. Anyone would be a good start.

You would enjoy the 615. It will look good, sound good, and play good. Be SURE to get a proper setup done, though. A more expensive mandolin would need the same.
    Roscoe Morgan

2000 Sim Daley signed Gibson F-5L

www.sunsethillmusic.com

Based on the premise that since I did it you should too, I say get the Eastman. #I've got a couple of nice Martins guitars, one of which I've had for well over 30 years and I recently decided to try my hand at mandolin. #I ordered a tobacco-burst HD-815 from Steve at Gianna and am very pleased with it. #I haven't played many other mandolin's and therefore can't compare it to others, but it is certainly a well-made instrument and is far above my skill-level at this time. #I'm starting to make progress but the frets sure are small and close together compared with a D-35 and an 000-28VS.

Tom

I love my 605, and the addition of the Scroll should do you quite well. But my advice as a guitarist who recently came into the light ;-) would be to hear the various types and then decide if the scroll is worth doubling down on your innitial investment.

Blog Entries

Go for it. I have an 814 that is more mando than I need but hope to grow into it. If you play stuff other than bluegrass exclusively that lefty oval hole A style in the classifieds is a real good deal.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thank you all for your responses - very very helpful.
    There seems to be a real fork in the road regarding Oval-hole tone vs F-hole tone.

Examples of some sounds that really attract me are David Grisman's sound (esp. on the "Pizza Tapes"), and Mark O'Connor's sound on the "Trio" album, esp. on the song "Rosewood Casket". Would these be characteristic of Oval- or F-hole tone?
    Eastman MD615 Lefty

Frank

My story is very similar to yours. I've been playing guitar for 25 years and fell in love with the mando after building a flattop at a bluegrass camp. I like playing the mando more than the guitar and have become more technically proficient in the last 18 months than I ever did on the guitar. It has actually pushed me to try some new stuff on the guitar too. There is a thread somewhere on this site about guitarist turned mandoliners.

I then purchased a Kentucky 380s (which is a nice mando after I made some setup adjustments). It was hardly a year later I got an Eastman 615. If you find a good 615 and you don't mind plunking down the bucks, do it. If you get a 615 cheap enough, you could probably sell it for nearly the same price. By the way, I end up playing my Kentucky alot still. It's my "beater".

I have a lefty Eastman 615. I play lefty guitar as well. My guitar is a Taylor 710. You will enjoy the Eastman 615. For the money it is an excellant buy. Good Luck. I know exactly what you are going through.

My first (and only) mandolin is an Eastman 614. I'm very happy with it.

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. I play guitars sicne I don't know when and have a rather expensive taste over the years. I was just a little bit interested in the mandolin sound and thought I could get me a $200 instrument off ebay. But after finding this message board I went for a 614 and really love it. I just bought an old vintage German mandolin, still having MAS.....anyway go for the 615 !!! You won't be happy with anything cheaper
    Eastman 614 #090 / Framus 1950s Mandolin
    1952 Les Paul, 1954 Les Paul, 1963 Stratocaster, 1955 Martin D-18

Check out the Mandolin Store. They have a used 515. On Ebay it is listed as a lefty. On their website lefty is not noted.
    You'd better hope your CRAZY cause there's no cure for STUPID

Tony Bare

Just a thought, but some cafe members are putting kits together and comming up with some nice mandos. Ken Wise at International Violin is a Cafe member and he may be able to set you up with someone who will set a lefty up for you. It will be better than the MK and Kentucky and be in the same ballpark money wise. Sorry no scroll yet in the kits but- give me a good A over a So-So F any day.
    Tony Bare

Frank,

To answer your question regarding F hole vs. oval, Grisman is playing an F5 (with F holes) on Pizza Tapes. I'm not certain in O'Connor's case (as I don't have that CD) but as he's played an F hole mandolin whenever I've heard him play elsewhere (live or on CD) I presume this to be such as well.

Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

I would hardly call a Eastwood 615 a "So-So F"
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Quote Originally Posted by
    There seems to be a real fork in the road regarding Oval-hole tone vs F-hole tone.
    I like the sound of an old Gibson A and I also like that ringing, sustain sound. Therefore, I prefer an oval. I have #13 MD 504 Eastman. I use J74 D'Addario Med String and get an awesome sound.

You are going to get differant ideas based on what style of music they play, so make sure you are listening to those that share your preferences.

Chuck