Thread: Good starter electric for performing?

My wife and I want to incorporate electric mandolin into our duo but I don't want to go very expensive until I know it'll work. On the other hand, I don't want to go so cheap that it's destined to sound bad and fail. I'll be a beginner as well. :-) Any ideas out there for what a good starter electric under these circumstances would be for us?

Okay, what do you want to sound like? Answer this question before you answer any other questions. What kind of music are you trying to play? Full-blown electric? Amplified acoustic? The answers to this question will narrow down you choices. Next figure out how much you want to spend. I'm just about to try and sell a couple of electric mandos, but before you even start shopping you should have an idea of what kind of sound you're looking for. Post any questions, and I'm sure other folks will jump in after they finish celebrating the 4th of July. Happy birthday America!
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

To expand a bit on mikemando's comments, do you want a sound like an acoustic mandolin, only louder (in which case an acoustic with an on-board pickup is probably what you'd want) or a sound more like a small electric guitar (in which case, a solid-body 4- or 5-string electric is what you might want)? Do you want an instrument that will only be used plugged in or something that you can use either plugged or unplugged? If the latter, you'll probably have to spend more for good acoustic sound. The American-made Ovation mandolins, I understand, sound quite nice plugged in. Although they have an acoustic body, most folks seem not too crazy about their acoustic sound. Rigels sound good either plugged or unplugged but cost considerably more than an Ovation. Some relatively inexpensive solid-body electrics are available that have more of a "little electric guitar" (especially the 4- and 5-string models in comparison to the 8-strings) than a true mandolin sound and can't be played acoustically. But their electric sound is pretty good for the price. Within each general type, there are more expensive and less expensive options with the more expensive ones generally costing more for a good reason. All of the above is generalization, of course, and there are exceptions but I think that the issues I raise give you some idea of why we need a bit more information to be most helpful in guiding you in the proper direction.
    Bob DeVellis

First of all, thanks to mikeomando and bobd for the replies. What I want is a sound like an acoustic mandolin that I can also play unplugged. I'm hoping for at or under $500. As a novice I'm not certain if that's asking for too much so any advice would be very helpful. I'm going to check out some mandolins at the music stores. I'm just trying to find out if there are any particular models I might want to look at. Also, I didn't notice until now that this is a four and five string section. Is there another place I would be better off asking? I think I'd most likely want to start on eight strings. Thanks.

You might want to do a search on the boards here for open discussions on some of the following instruments that seem to be around your pricepoint of $500:

Ovation *
    Applause *
    Crafter *
    Giannini GBSM-3EL (Choro-style mandolin with pickup, solid top, laminated back & sides)
    Morgan Monroe MM100E (MM's all solid Rigel knock-off)
    Fender FM62SE (Fender's all solid Rigel knock-off)

* All three carry multiple models with composite backs, solid or laminated wood tops, and on board electronics.

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

apple, you're asking for a lot. Most mandos built as acoustic/electrics are pretty wimpy when played acoustically. Do you own an acoustic mando right now? You might try getting a transducer pickup (under $100) and sticking it on your acoustic if you own one.
    Don't worry about this being the 4 and 5 string section. An emando is an emando. The kind of pickup you use really changes the tone. An acoustic mando with a DeArmond pickup (a no longer made magnetic pickup), sounds more like an electric instrument than an acoustic instrument played through a microphone. If you try and play tremelo mandolin on an electric mando that sounds like an electric guitar, it doesn't really sound right. So if you're trying to play bluegrass, for example, you either want a microphone, or a mando with an internal microphone, or a transducer, just so you can retain that sound. If you go full-blown solid body electric, you should at least consider the idea that you have to adjust your playing to more of an electric sound: chords and individual notes sustain longer, bends and things like hammer-ons and hammer-offs work a lot better, and tremelo works in very small doses. I started playing an acoustic, added a couple of different kind of pickups, experimented with microphones, then finally bought a few electrics. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of lousy electric mandolins out there. Some are just toys, others are built wrong, so they never fret true up the scale, some have a really bad action, some buzz all over the place, etc. Go to a music store, and you'll be lucky if they have ONE in stock. Try it anyway, and really listen to the way it sounds. DON'T BUY THE FIRST ONE YOU PLAY, just because it plugs in somewhere.
    Ask all the questions you want, everybody here has an opinion. If you are going to spend your hard-earned cash, you may as well be happy with your first purchase.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Try searching eBay for an Ovation MM68 or Godin A8. Might be able to find the Godin new within your price range (with haggling).

Look at the Godin (if you can find one). Maybe a used Weber Y2K with pickup will turn up somewhere, or maybe you can find a Mid-Missouri and have a pickup installed. Or, get hold of Rick Felkel at Elloree Guitars and see what he's charging for his basic mandolins these days.

Of the ones jimmacd mentions, the only one I'd mess with is the U.S.-made Ovation, because I'm picky about things like tone and playability.

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks everyone, I have a point of reference now. It appears my question should have been, "How much should I expect to pay for a good starter acoustic electric mandolin?" Hopefully I'll be back shortly with questions about playing rather than buying. #

I like the Godin A-8 (plugged in) a lot, but it has virtually no acoustic volume. #Check out the Fender FM-62SE, which has (IMHO) a pretty good sound both acoustically and plugged-in. #Musician's Friend has them new for $550 (NFI), and I think they'll fit (I haven't checked!) in the MF F-style mando case that MF is selling for $30. #The FM-62SE ounds more like an amplified acoustic mando than most of the other "electric mandos" out there.
    EdSherry

I owned a Godin A-8 for a long period of time prior to obtaining a 5 string Rono. It was OK, but lacked seriously in the areas of tone and sustain. The Fender electric is certainly no better than the Godin. In fact, the tone is worse. I sold off the Godin after I got my Rono, but still have the Fender and would let go cheap, if given the opportunity!

Frank

The US-made Ovation (MM68) sells new for about $1200 and sometimes can be had used in very good shape for $700-$800. I have one, and i really like the way it feels and plays, both acoustically and electrically. However, the acoustic sound from an Ovation is not as loud as the acoustic sound from a good acoustic mandolin.

The Korean made Ovation Celebrity can be had new for about $800 and used for $400-$500. It plays very well electric and a little as well acoustically. It's useable, however, you may find that the action is higher than you may want, and the arm is thicker than it should be. Considering the price difference, i would recommend getting the US made. I used one for gigs, before i had the US-made; i kept it as a "beater".

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!