Thread: Case cover for Eastman fiberglass case

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I'm getting an Eastman fiberglass case (famous for limited storage), so now I'm looking for a case cover. I need to fit a tuner, music books, strings, picks, etc, and would appeciate some weather protection too.

For people who have this case, what worked best for you? Small Dog, Colorado, or 3-Raq Tennis Bag (Dunlap Bullet)?

Thanks, Larry

Well, you can get one from Colorado Case or Small Dog for $110 to $150. Or you can get a triple tennis racquet bag for $15 to $30. Your case should fit it like a glove. It should do everything the mando case covers will do, for a lot less. I actually took my case to a tennis store and found the one that fit the best and had the features I wanted. The tennis store guy looked at me a little funny, but he didn't really care. He got a sale out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by (jflynnstl @ July 22 2006, 22:21)
    The tennis store guy looked at me a little funny...
    I imagine he did

I don't use a cover on my Eastman. I probably should they do scratch easily. Mine is red, I'm assuming the white won't show the scratches. The base appears to be white fiberglass, at least on mine it is. I carry my picks and tuner in a small digital camera bag attached to the shoulder strap. Beyond that it's a nice lightweight case that protects the instrument well.

A good sized backpack would have advantages over something shaped, for fitting music books into , for example.
    Music sheets in plastic page covers in a 3 ring binder , then cry out for a decent music stand that will support the folio.

I find my older A cases fit A drybag style backpack #I found at REI,[base an oval like 4x10 speaker] #thicker, better padded TKL type cases wont fit.

given the slim outline that case may fit #well ..
    alternatives: #GI surplus duffle bags # # .. sailbags .. big LLBean totes?
    Johnny B Goode autographed Gunny Sack?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Up at greyfox I spent some time with the guys from small dog. He really liked the case and was going to call Eastman to get one so they could make one that fits. It probably won't have alot of storage though. I finally started using the case for my intellitouch beacuse the belt loop fits right on the strap.
    On another note I must have depressed the latch on the strap last night going through the door of my gig with the strap from my fiddle case. The mando fell 3 feet hit the ground, bounced and hit again. There was no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by (Fred G @ July 23 2006, 22:56)
    On another note I must have depressed the latch on the strap last night going through the door of my gig with the strap from my fiddle case. The mando fell 3 feet hit the ground, bounced and hit again. There was no damage.
    Fred G, if you go to the Eastman Case forums http://www.eastmanmandolins.com/ and check out "if anyone has the misfortune" thread, you will see that this has been a problem. I was one of those who had the strap come off inadvertantly and broke the headstock during the crash to the ground. I was just walking! This has happened several times. I was quite furious because I was just carrying the case normally. Eastman said that they could not and would not do anything about it. Since then, I changed the strap and it hasn't happened again. So I advise you to change your strap!
    I wish I wrote the last minute of Mahler X

Thumbs up

Just a tip here. Colored auto wax will fill scratches and shine those Eastman cases so they look brand new. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Quote Originally Posted by (JLP @ July 24 2006, 16:15)
    Just a tip here. Colored auto wax will fill scratches and shine those Eastman cases so they look brand new.
    I was wondering about that. I seemed to recall some products made for the boating world that did the same thing.

Won't auto wax rub off on your pant leg?
    Dan

thanks Chinamando, sound slike a plan.

Corvette #finish care products seem like a great match, theyre Fibreglass bodied you know..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

This casecover fits the eastman case like a glove...but you need to take the hardcase completely out of the cover to get to your mandolin because the zipper doesnt open wide enough. #It also does not offer much in the way of extra storage, though there is an small pocket for picks and such.

silver case cover