Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345627 ... LastLast

Thread: Loar Picture of the Day

What a neat and appropriate thing to do in closing the thread. I hope Charlie just got a small glimpse of what folks thought of him before his passing. His skill and knowledge of building mandolins appears to be dwarfed by his genuine kindness and friendship that he spread around so freely.
    Linksmaker

Charlie once asked me why I didn't own a Loar ..... especially since my runnin' buddies all do. I told him that I was married.

He never asked again! Charlie, we are missing you! Joe
    ..... f5joe

April 25, 1923....
    A big pile of them went out the door......
    Busy day in the shipping department???

Darryl, thanks so much for starting the Loar Pic of the day thread. What a fitting tribute to Charlie it is that that thread has been locked in his honor. This thread has far and away been my most favorite. I will reference back to it over and over, as I have done for quite some time, as it is so rich in information. I wish Charlie had posted more. Also, I wish that a few more folks who really know about this stuff would post more too. This will be read for the ages to come, and I believe there are those among us who really know probably more than any future generations, except what they learn from those of us who have swam across rivers and walked through fire just to see, feel, touch and hear these great mandolins. Darryl, it goes without saying that you are the guru, the ultimate authority on these mandolins, and I want you to know I appreciate your work and dedication to the furtherance of information concerning The Loar F5s all vintage mandolins.I wish to publically thank you and acknowledge all you have done and continue to do. I would like also thank Ken Waltham for his posts. His knowledge and experience with these is vast, and I wish he would share more. Tommy Isenhour is another whos knowledge and experience I wish would be given here more. Perhaps sometime, we could get Frank Ray to chime in here- talk about a walking catalog. All you guys I mentioned have been such a great help to me down through the years when all I knew about Loars you could write on the back of a postage stamp, and that I wanted one. When I bought my first Fern, I got it from Frank Ray. I talked to Darryl, Ken, Tommy, and Charlie. Every one of these guys was so willing to help me in any way they could then, and any time after that too. I feel like I am rambling a bit, but I guess what I am trying to do is let you guys all know how much I appreciate you. There comes a time one way or the other, as we have so tragically just faced with the loss of our dear friend Charlie, when we can no longer say these things to someone we care about and want to be sure they know it. Thanks all.
    A wrong note played timidly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority is an interpretation.

Brian,
    Great post. You are a good man..Put yourself on that list.
    Richie

Are there any photos of the underside of the repaired soundboard of Bill's Loar? I would love to see how it was repaired.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Jim,
    I actually asked Big Joe that question today!
    From what I understood, Charlie had to put a lot of tiny little pieces together to form pieces large enough to be able to attach them to the top..Minimal cleating.
    Richie

Thanks Richie,
    I guess we could sneak a peak inside with some dental mirrors if we could get past security! What a tremendous restoration.
    Jim
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Jim,
    You handle the security, I'll provide the dental mirrors!
    Richie

P.S. Don't forget to wind your watch!

Peghead of Charlies mando (81250) A DanB shot I believe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie_loar_peghead.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	17672  
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

81250 in a large Calton

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie_loar_face.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	17674  
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

It looks lonely. Every time I pick up my F-9, I'm grateful that Charlie came along and helped Gibson build great mandolins again. Although I didn't know him personally, I still find it hard to believe that he's gone.
    --Prof PT

Don't hate me because I know how to spell and punctuate!

That large Calton is a honey of a case...a heavy honey at that.

CD had 81250 in one of the prototype Gibson Caltons at Bakersfield. I liked it pretty well, and in fact decided I would get one when they became available.
    A wrong note played timidly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority is an interpretation.

Hi, this is Charlie's daughter Anna. I have really enjoyed reading about my dad's accomplishments and want to read more of the things he has said here on the cafe. I am trying to learn more about the mandolin and want to read things my dad has said. Can someone tell me how i can read some of my dad's old posts. Everything you all have said has been very comforting to my mother and me, thank you all for your kind words.

Hi Anna,

You can do a search (upper right) and use the poster name (Charlie Derrington). Go down to the bottom of the search page and click "and older" so it gives you all the old posts. You have my heartfelt condolences. Charlie will be missed.

EDIT - You might also want to select "ALL OPEN FORUMS" in the middle of the screen so it doesn't just search this one

-Andy

"First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

Wanna be manodlin player

Anna, Welcome to the Cafe. Our hearts go out to you and your family. I'm glad to hear you are learning more about the mandolin. As stated, just use the search function and don't be afraid to ask the people on here.
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Hi Anna and welcome!

While most of us here on the Cafe never had the pleasure of meeting Charlie in person, many of us felt that we came to know him through his posts here. #There is another thread up in the General Mandolin Discussions forum that has notes on our feelings about him.

One post by TJG provides some insight into Charlie's posts and I'll quote it here for your convenience...

=> Quote:

I hope nobody minds, but listed below are a few Cafe quotes from Charlie over the years. #It gives you an indication of the type of person Charlie was:

"However, if you are not happy (in any way), PM me and I'll see what I can do. I am the head of Joe's and Dave's department and want to make sure every customer is happy."

"I always said if I were to win the lottery, I'd just play bluegrass music until the money was all gone."

"I refuse to mislead anyone for the sake of a dollar. That sort of business behavior only hurts one's credibility in the long run."

"Anyway, even if I weren't, Gibson was a force in the industry long before I came along, and would continue along just fine if I got hit by a truck tomorrow. Danny is one of the best mando players on the planet and has had things directly in his hands for a couple of years."

"I'm going about 5 miles down the road. I'll be starting another project that's important for the company. It's a little early to offer any details, but needless to say, I'll still be involved with the mandolins. Heck, regardless of where I go, I'll always be involved with the mandolins. It's who I am. I think you all know that....."

"Face it. The Loar is the model. Stray too far, and you are flirting with danger on all sorts of fronts. #At least that's my humble opinion."

"I think you all know that if any, and I mean any, of our customers are unhappy with their Gibson mandolin, we will stand behind it..... period."

"Next time you're down (and it's warm enough), I'll take you to this little private lake I fish, and we'll throw a lizard around."

"If it were mine, I'd chalk it up to experience and learn to live with it. Small marks like that just add charm to an instrument. It can't stay perfect forever, if it's being played."

"My dad was Mr. Derrington, I'm just Charlie."

"Send me the serial # and a picture on a pm, and I'll try and answer any questions you may have."

"I am so shocked by his (Cliff Sargent) death. It's a good thing to know that there will be a great human being and mando builder waiting for us when we get there."

"However, if I were to get hit by a truck tomorrow, there is no one I would trust more (to leave things in the hands of) than my right hand mando man, Danny."

"I haven't seen the mandos in question, but if the owners have a problem, I would imagine they'd contact us and then they'll get it fixed for free or a brand new Master."

"Joe holds very strong opinions (and certainly isn't one to keep those opinions to himself), but I really love that big lug and worry about him greatly. I actually don't know how I'd operate without him."

".......and I appreciate hearing about it when we do it wrong."

"And a snafu it is. That's my fault for not thinking far enough ahead. Email Joe and we'll get you a new one."

And finally:

"Give me a call tomorrow. I need to talk with you."

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Blog Entries

Anna,
    Welcome and I am so sorry for your family's loss. #Here is a link to all the threads your dad contributed to. #I hope you can use this to help learn more about the instrument your father was so passionate about.

Jamie Stanek

edit. You can see by his user name in his posts he had only ~600 posts since 2002 while I seem to prattle and post on and on. With your father it was quality over quantity.

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Nice photos of Bill's Loar at CMHF from Pat

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Check out the engraving on the tailpiece cover at the "Ears" there..
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Another
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

On Bill's, at the time the inlay was restored and before it was attacked, was there any re-finish work done?

From what I understand, the reason that he scratched out his inlay was because they did a refinish.
    Saving my 2 cents for a dollar.

I can't track it down on Google, but there's a photo of Larry Barnwell of Gibson returning the mandolin to Bill.
    I thought it had been properly re-finished at that time. But maybe it was after the Derrington repair. I can't really remember but I thought it was from before it was destroyed.