Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254647484950
Results 1,226 to 1,236 of 1236

Thread: Loar Picture of the Day

Blog Entries

Default Re: Loar Picture of the Day

Well Jim its possible, but I have a feeling most all Virzi's were "retro-fitted" As they were the new "gimmick" in the mando world, We know Loar had them installed in all his personal instruments-violin included so I'd lay some $ that he talked a few people into getting one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    Sure?
    Next question is why the PP isn't dovetailed, top included.
    Almost looks like a pencil line though.
    As I haven't looked at each and every Loar F5, I can't tell whether all point protectors were "dovetailed". However, the picture in post 1205 clearly shows the typical "black" glue seam between the pp and the back binding. It also shows that the back binding is shallower than the top binding (especially towards the neck). I would like to see a picture of this pp from the other side.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Ahrend View Post
    As I haven't looked at each and every Loar F5, I can't tell whether all point protectors were "dovetailed". However, the picture in post 1205 clearly shows the typical "black" glue seam between the pp and the back binding. It also shows that the back binding is shallower than the top binding (especially towards the neck). I would like to see a picture of this pp from the other side.
    Agree with that. Not many folks have seen and thoroughly studied enough of them. General knowlegde has grown in last 10-15 years but some details emerge now and then and it will take time till hypotheses are validated or not.
    As I said before you can see whole lot of odd features on Loars before mid 23. Then they somewhat settled and except binding/ inlay styles the construction was quite consistent.
    The early Loars show different tone bars, slightly different headstock shape, different tuners, f-hole shape, wood selection, lighter finish, three piece necks, maple fingerboard supports etc. so I wouldn't expect such tiny detail like point protector to match later examples. I think they were dialing in the production methods and specs on the earlier batches.
    Virzi has been advertised in those times for all stringed instruments including violins (I believe Heifetz had one installed in his strad? violin and was proudly shown in ads). The backwards Virzi could be part of the first experiment at Gibson as I recall violin virzi had just two feet.
    Adrian

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Thanks to everyone. It's been very informative.

Here’s more of the Loar being discussed. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3u_atz...NA8J8T5Xz2EC_U

thanks Darryl for this

So I got to have my way with the Karasik and took some photos of the points. I think in this one you can see the saw marks left from the back removal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1261 (2).JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	200733  

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hilburn For This Useful Post:

Emily was able to catch up with Tim O'brien at a festival in New Mexico and he graciously played the Karasik. It was filmed by Wesley Six, the videographer for the festival and really captured the wonderful look of the mandolin, and the sound! Turn it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ4r97071aM&t=6s

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    Emily was able to catch up with Tim O'brien at a festival in New Mexico and he graciously played the Karasik. It was filmed by Wesley Six, the videographer for the festival and really captured the wonderful look of the mandolin, and the sound! Turn it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ4r97071aM&t=6s
    Here´s the video embedded:

You´re not a shabby picker yourself, Mr. Hilburn.
    Olaf

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

Posted this on the Cafe notices as well but wanted it to be posted here too:

In Tacoma, Washington, someone has broken in and stolen John West's Lloyd Loar F-5 known to the mandolin community as "Scratchy," along with all of his flattop vintage Martins from his storage locker where they were kept.

The story on the Loar is as follows: 1924 Gibson F-5 Lloyd Loar Master Model Mandolin Serial #79833 with Virzi Tone Producer #10400. The Master Model and signature labels are scratched and defaced so no clear date or serial # is visible as is normally seen, but it is in fact a December 1, 1924 example in very clean condition. When Charlie Derrington was working on it some years back he nicknamed it "Scratchy" in honor of the scratched-off labels

There were no threads in the pickguard screw hole that one would normally see so it is likely no pickguard was installed at the Gibson factory and it also had hardware from an F-4. With those features and issues as well as the time period it was produced, it is speculated that this mandolin was possibly "shoplifted" from the factory prior to being fully completed and some rumors of it being removed from the factory by Lloyd Loar himself as he departed the Gibson factory under less than friendly terms at the end of 1924. The labels were carefully steamed off some years back to verify and reveal the clear penciled in serial number of 79833 - but the labels were glued on again so that number is no longer visible.

Further information is coming as we can make it available regarding the other items stolen. Image here is courtesy of the Mandolin Archive.

I'm listing this as a friend and confidant of John's. John is not as comfortable with email and the internet so replies will be directed to me. I hope everyone will share this wherever they can. Social media, forums, personal sites, etc.

Will be on the lookout up here in Bellingham...