Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam Bush as sideman

I saw Sam Bush at Rockygrass 2002 in Lyons Colorado,he played music in his own band,with doc Watson ,he played in an all star jam and maybe one other grouping .Mr Bush was fantastic that weekend. I will never forget his contribution that year at Rockygrass. His playing is so strong and true, his tone i just love.He is a great entertainer in my opinion .

if you search around youtube there's plenty of songs with him backing up Emmylou Harris to look at.
    Frank

I love Jorma, but it's his backup band (Sam, Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Byron house) and his song selection that make this one of my most favorite albums ever.

Sam really gets the old-tyme vibe in this album. Great, tasteful playing.
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

He plays rhythm on a couple tracks of my teacher Jason Dennie's CD Just Enough

Here's one off his website: http://jasondennie.com/images/Just_E...away_Horse.mp3

Cool song
    Garnet Bruell

Don't forget the Short Trip Home CD. Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall, Joshua Bell. 'BP' has so good work on it and 'Death by Triple Fiddle' is really fun.

One of my all-time favorites was his break on "Washington County" on Butch Robins' "Forty Years Late" project.

There's also an album out there by Dan Crary called "Guitar". It's pretty awesome and features a lot of Sam's mandolin playing. The Stanley Brother's Medley and the Bill Monroe Medley on that album are awesome. If you like to hear good bluegrass guitar playing too, it doesn't get much better than Dan Crary too. Also, be aware he released an album in the 70s or 80s called "Bluegrass Guitar" which features no mandolin unfortunately. But the newer album called "Guitar" is all about Dan and Sam. Enjoy...
    Philip Halcomb

Yeah but did he play pedal steel on CSNY "Teach your Children"? Huh? Did he? Did he?

Just injecting humor.

I listen to a bunch of Sam stuff mentioned above, but still not near enough, and have seem him live and he is without question an exceptional musician as frontman or sideman, live or in the studio.

Oh, and on Tuesday, you can catch Sam at noon on www.wvdx.com

Internet is wierd ain't it. I live in MA and my favorite radio stations is in TN.

Anyone catch Sam and Emmylou on Leno last week? I was watching just before hand and must have fallen asleep.

Default Re: Sam Bush as sideman

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdamerung View Post
    I know you mentioned Me and My Guitar, but one noteworthy solo stands out therein--in "Port Tobacco"--it has all the great texture of a Sam Bush solo: speed, grace, light and lilting and perfect for the song (and a great percursor to Vassar's beautiful solo later in the song).
    Anyone know where the tab is for this tune?

-Ol' Phil

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    John Hardy solo on Rice's Cold On The Shoulder.
    Good gracious yes! That is one of my favorite mando solos ever.

His work on the first Alison Krauss album is also among my favorite stuff from Sam.

I've long been more attracted to Sams sideman efforts rather than ensemble efforts, with the exception of Sam and Alan, Together Again for the First Time.

I'll submit:

All the fiddle solos on Bela Flecks first rounder Album (Crossin the Tracks??)
    OMAC2, Mark O'Connor, Sam, Byron Berline, hot as hell
    On the Butch Robbins record 40 Yrs late, Washington County is my fav

For More Monroe style playing
    Peter Rowan , The First Whipporwill
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Wow, an old thread...

Ol' Phil - get with John McGann. He is a transcribing whiz.

Pete - forgot about Crossin the Tracks, what a great record for Bela. Agree that Sam was the man on this. The mandolin work by Bob Applebaum is also terrific.

Thanks alan.

Hi Alan

Yes, an old thread, but it is the first time I've seen it.

First Sam solo that comes to my mind is Tipper, off whatever Tony Rice album that was. Me and My Guitar I think.

Another is on the Bela Fleck recording Drive where they play a tune that sound really close to the old fiddle tune Off to California, which is usually played in G but on their recording is in A. Great tone by Sam with just right triplets also.

First Sam solo that comes to my mind is Tipper, off whatever Tony Rice album that was. Me and My Guitar I think.
    Hi Bill,

Yep, Tipper and Port Tobacco both on MAMG. There is a youtube of Rice band (with Gaudreau) from the late 80's/early 90's I suppose, where they do this number - Tipper. Great tune. Port Tobacco is so cool too.

I re-read the whole thread, and mon ami Christian actually sent me that banjo record he talked about. It is terrific, and Sam really shines on it.

I like his playing on John Hartford's version of "Gentle On My Mind". I also like the way Hartford says "Sam-my Bush" partway through his solo.

I was blase' about Sam's mandolin work on Lonesone Fiddle Blues from the green Starday Newgrass Revival record, having heard it hundreds of times.
    Imagine my surprise when I tried to capture the arrangement note-for-note!!! Holy ####!
    Astounding playing.

Mike S

Oh Sam....Saaaaaaammy Bush

Sam played on a Doc and Merle Watson album called "Pickin the blues", I think. His mandolin solo on "Hobo Bill's last ride" is one of my favorites.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

get you a dose of Sam on Tony Trischka's recently (Tuesday oct 21st) re-released record "Hill Country." Sam plays on about 2/3rds and kills it. it was recorded in the early 80's and features Fleck, Douglas, Rice, McCoury among others.

straight up bluegrass

I was blase' about Sam's mandolin work on Lonesone Fiddle Blues from the green Starday Newgrass Revival record, having heard it hundreds of times.
    Imagine my surprise when I tried to capture the arrangement note-for-note!!! Holy ####!
    Astounding playing.
    I *agonized* over that whole solo when I was just starting out. That and his rocking break on Great Balls of Fire.

Dave Peters, in his Masters of the Mandolin 'oeuvre', noted out several of Sam's breaks over the years, many from Tony Rice sessions. He (Peters) accurately captured the up-front flurries to Gasology, before the actual melody. Also, the wonderful playing on Mar West.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    I've long been more attracted to Sams sideman efforts rather than ensemble efforts, with the exception of Sam and Alan, Together Again for the First Time.
    Hey Pete - nice avatar, is that the Calton version of the Gilchrist mandolin?

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Keith

I just got the new Charlie Hayden CD, "Rambling Boy", which is pretty cool and worth checking out. Charlie (a pretty famous jazz bassist) grew up in a family band a la the Carters, and with this CD he gets back to his country roots. Sam does some great work there, in the "I don't even have to check the credits, I know who it is" mode. He can make simple rhythm parts sparkle (though of course Jerry Douglas, Ricky Skaggs, Russ Barenberg et al don't really hurt the CD either).