Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holoubek Mandolins

Fellow owners!
    To date, Ondra has built 47 mandolins (out of a total of 152 instruments). Mine, built in Nov. 2002, is No. 117.

It would be interesting to know where in the world they are. Where are you and what No. is it?

Ray

Nice to hear of another Holoubek owner.

I own 130 (actually 130/49--or is it 47? I've wondered what this second number means, perhaps the number of f5s or ferns?.) Built, I was told, in 2003. I bought it used from a fellow cafe member. It's more bright than woody, strong base end, very loud. I've played instruments that I had to admit were better but they cost at least twice as much. And it's beautiful. I've had compliments from Roland white, who gave it a whirl, and Skip Gorman at Mando Camp North who was beside me in a jam and hearing it, turned to ask me what kind it was. In short, I love it.

I am going to Prague for a few days in October. I believe he lives nearby. I would certainly enjoy meeting him.
    Cary Fagan

here's a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holoubekAt12thfret.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	17928  
    Cary Fagan

Hi Cary,
    Now that's confused things! Although mine has only one number (117), I've heard of recent mandolins with the two numbers (i.e. x/y) and a recent post from Ondra (see below) indicated that he had built 152 instruments including 47 mandolins. From this I assumed that the first number was his total instrument production with the second the number of mandolins. Whether or not this is the case, yours falls outside this range. Mine has a date on the label and, apart from the pick-guard is almost identical to yours. If anything the middle is stronger than the bass and top. He is based in Lounovice but I'm not quite sure how far from Prague this is. He's currently in process of getting a web site up and running so you may be lucky before you go.

Good to hear from a fellow owner.

Ray
    Interesting link

Hi Ray,
    Thanks for the link to the threat. very interesting. I guess Bryce Milano sold his H. Probably he's playing his Heiden (magnificent mandolins, without question).

Perhaps my second number is 47 and not 49--it's a bit hard to read. Which would make mine the last mandolin he has built. I think I'll email him and ask.

There is a Holoubek for sale in the classifieds and I think Elderly has a new a style and a used f. Perhaps august watters, if he sees this, will chime in. He imported Holoubeks to the U.S, including mine. I met him briefly at mando camp north.
    I'm in toronto, canada by the way.
    Best, Cary
    Cary Fagan

Hi Cary - Bought mine from TAMCO (Brighton UK) in Jan '03 - great shop if you're ever in the UK - they had an "A" style with F-holes (whatever you'd call it!) which came in the same batch so I assume that't somewhere in the UK. The one Bryce Milano sold is now in Italy and, I'm told it was a copy of Chris Thile's Dudenbostel. Been to Toronto twice - in transit to Vancouver and back so I've not exactly seen much of it! I'm in the UK about 20 miles south of Manchester. Cheers, Ray

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    I'm told it was a copy of Chris Thile's Dudenbostel.
    Not true. Ondra has developed his own design over many years and it's not a "copy" of anything. Like many of today's builders he views the F5 as the basic platform upon which he's built an original design, and he's (I think rightfully) proud of it.

Ondra told me he uses the Gilchrist-style x-bracing, which centers beneath the bridge. Maybe that's where the "copy" idea came from.

BTW, Ondra told me he redesigned the carving of tops about a year ago. The last one I got was a nice improvement over #124, which has been my favorite mandolin for the past few years. It has a gorgeous low "woof," and huge brilliant power on the high end. My private students sometimes complain it hurts their ears. #

Quote Originally Posted by
    He is based in Lounovice but I'm not quite sure how far from Prague this is.
    Ondra lives in a small village way on the south side of Prague. I've visited his workshop there, and he's very personable. His English is good enough to get the job done (and far better than my Czech!).

August W
    http://www.augustwatters.com

Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Blog Entries

Cary

I'm glad that mandolin has worked out for you. It was a very good sounding and exquisite looking instrument. It was a very good deal for you, considering that it backs as much bunch as mandos twice the value.

Jim

Good to hear from you, Jim. Yes, the Holoubek has really grown on me. I guess I've now owned it and played it the longest though you broke it in. As you say, the Holoubek is a lot of (beautiful) mandolin for the money. It's traditional sounding yet it's voice is its own. It gets a good work-out every day and a jam once or twice a week. So thanks.

By the way I found the string placement a bit off for me and had Richard Starky of Nashville (have I got his name right, fine guitar player on Skip Gorman's cds) adjust it which was a big help.

I understand you are playing a Kimble A now?
    Cary Fagan

#125 was my main mandolin for a while, I've since gone back to A style instruments. I've been a dealer for Holoubek and Capek for a couple of years and thus have had the chance to meet Ondra and play a number of his mandolins. #131 lived here for a while.

I'm the one who has #126/37 listed on the classifieds, it's a nice mandolin.

Seth

Default Re: Holoubek Mandolins

No 131/42 now lives in the Missouri Ozarks, and I suspect it probably will for quite some time. I suspect the mandolin that Cary listed is probably 130/141 as Ondrej's ones look like sevens.
    Greg Potter

"Tiller of the land and feller of trees"

Oops, I meant 130/41 on Cary's mandolin.
    Greg Potter

"Tiller of the land and feller of trees"

Hi . I live in Llandudno, North Wales and bought my Holoubek A5 about 6 years ago. It is no.# 089-, Date 5/6/2001. I have had a maple bridge to replace the original adjustable bridge made and fitted by a violin restorer consequently he used a violin pattern for it. I feel it has improved the tone/volume and am very happy with it. I am one of the organizers of 'The Coastline Bluegrass Event ' held annually in June here in North Wales. www.coastlinebluegrass.co.uk
    John P.

Hi John - did we not meet at a gig in Buxton about 3/4 years ago?

Hey Ray, Tim here; nice to discover a fellow mandolin player in the Peak! I live in Waterhouses, can't be far from you? I looked at Holuobek mandos last time I was in TAMCO; really nice kit.

Hi Tim, we're in Chapel-en-le-Frith perhaps we could meet up sometime? Send me a PM if you fancy it - there's a Thursday session at the Queens in Bakewell which is more or less half way. TAMCO - It must have been a long time ago. As far as I know Trevor has only ever had two (an F and an A) I bought the F in 2002 but I think the A hung around for a year or so.
    Ray

Hi does anybody know where to buy or get in contact with Holoubek mandolins. I live in Denmark , not so far from Prague, so I could go there. I cant find his website or anything, and the mandos seems to be very good value for money.

Best from Hans in
    Copenhagen

Hey guys!

My name is Lewin and I'm the one who bought Brice Milanos custom F5 Holoubek. Just thought I'd chime in here and let you guys know that last night I played with another guy who had a GREAT sounding mando. I was thinking the entire time "That has to be a holoubek... it sounds just like a holoubek". Then at the end of the night I asked what it was, much to my surprise he said it was a Nugget! So basically, if you're playing a holoubek, rest assured you made the right choice and spent a fraction of the money that most people pay for that AMAZING tone!

FYI the mandolin and I are now in Philadelphia, but yes we did live in Italy for a while. I'm playing in a band called Marc Silver & The Stonethrowers, you can find us at http://www.YouTube.com/StonethowersMusic

Peace

Lewin

Hi Lewin

This thread is 6 years old this year! Glad to hear that your Holoubek is still going strong. I think we corresponded elsewhere some years ago.

I know what you mean about the Holoubek tone. I've since supplemented mine with a Kimble and, when push comes to shove, I think the Holoubek sounds more like the one and only Nugget I've ever played than the Kimble. The Kimble is loud and strong but the Holoubek has the volume and depth together with a lightness and transparency.

Ray

If you're still watching Hans, Andrej Holoubek said that he was intending to get a website up and running at about the same time as I started this thread but it doesn't seem to have happened and I've not heard from him since. You'll find his 'phone number in the makers section of the Cafe so you could give him a ring.

Hey Ray, I would be VERY interested in getting in touch with Andrej. Would you be willing to share his contact info with me?

I'll send you a PM.

I stopped working with him because he was hard to keep in contact with..
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Hi Trevor

Am I correct in thinking you only ever stocked 2 of his instruments? (i.e. the "F" I bought and an "A")

Ray

I'm too old to have a memory that good, but yes I think so.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbarringer Holoubek F5 View Post
    Hey guys!

My name is Lewin and I'm the one who bought Brice Milanos custom F5 Holoubek. Just thought I'd chime in here and let you guys know that last night I played with another guy who had a GREAT sounding mando. I was thinking the entire time "That has to be a holoubek... it sounds just like a holoubek". Then at the end of the night I asked what it was, much to my surprise he said it was a Nugget! So basically, if you're playing a holoubek, rest assured you made the right choice and spent a fraction of the money that most people pay for that AMAZING tone!

FYI the mandolin and I are now in Philadelphia, but yes we did live in Italy for a while. I'm playing in a band called Marc Silver & The Stonethrowers, you can find us at http://www.YouTube.com/StonethowersMusic

Peace

Lewin
    Hi Lewin, just recently sold an amazing Gibson F5G to a real great player... Buuuut since now no longer have a mandolin and am missing it I started my search and found your Holoubek demo pretty interesting. Problem is nowhere do I se any Holoubeks for sale or even any clue as to who keeps them in stock?? BTW great demo and playing!!