Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holoubek Mandolins

Default Re: Holoubek Mandolins

Hi all
    I am the proud owner of Holoubek mandolin #69 (F flower pot), but haven't been playing it a lot due to the somewhat smaller size that doesn't seem to work as well as I would like to with my stumpy fingers. Actually, I might consider selling it one day.
    Superb instrument though and possibly a nice opportunity for a Holoubek enthusiast. Especially as I understood that the guy has stopped building mandolins.

Hi Ben, Welcome to the forum (and the small group of people who own one of Ondrej's mandolins).

It sounds like you have a relatively early one. I'm not sure whether he has stopped building mandolins and I suspect that he simply makes them to order rather than to put on spec sale. Ondrej has a reputation for being difficult to contact. His mandolins are not noted for having particularly thin necks although there are always exceptions - have you tried a Givens?

It would be nice to know whereabouts in the world you are.

Ray

Adrian Minarovic

I don't think he stopped building mandolins. I guess he is backordered with guitars, he builds slowly and may take him long to get back to mandolins. Reminds me I haven't called him in quite a long time...
    BTW, the latest mandolins were built to Loar specs so the neck won't be the same as on some of his older work.
    Adrian

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit sales and trades to the Classifieds>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Nov-30-2013 at 8:10am.

Ben - If you're looking to swap it for something more to your liking, you could do worse than taking a trip over "La Manche" to visit TAMCO in Brighton. A least you will be able to compare neck widths between the Holoubek and many other quality instruments.

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit selling to the Classifieds>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Nov-30-2013 at 8:09am.

Hi All!

I'm happy to say I just received a Holoubek F5 that I purchased from a store in MO. I don't know much about the history of the instrument, or anything really. It is number 131/42. He signs his name in pen in the inside middle of the back, is that consistent?

I got it for a steal. there are a few deepish pick groves below the E strings, but that's character.

It sounds nice- woody, warm, barks when chopped. I think it needs new strings, so I'll replace those (with j-74s) and give another report. I'll also post pics asap.

This is my second mando. I used to own a weber special edition from The Mandolin Store. It was like a Gallatin, but with a complete scroll. I sold that mandolin a couple of years ago. It was a nice instrument and sounded fine, but I really always wanted a fully bound, nitro finished instrument.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to researching and becoming more of an expert on this maker.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIFIDELITY View Post
    Hi All!

I'm happy to say I just received a Holoubek F5 that I purchased from a store in MO. I don't know much about the history of the instrument, or anything really. It is number 131/42. He signs his name in pen in the inside middle of the back, is that consistent?

I got it for a steal. there are a few deepish pick groves below the E strings, but that's character.

It sounds nice- woody, warm, barks when chopped. I think it needs new strings, so I'll replace those (with j-74s) and give another report. I'll also post pics asap.

This is my second mando. I used to own a weber special edition from The Mandolin Store. It was like a Gallatin, but with a complete scroll. I sold that mandolin a couple of years ago. It was a nice instrument and sounded fine, but I really always wanted a fully bound, nitro finished instrument.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to researching and becoming more of an expert on this maker.

Can anyone help me identify anything about this mando based on the serial number? For example year of build, etc.?

Hi SCIFIDELITY. There has been previous discussion on Andrej's serial numbers. Mine is number 117 and dates from 2002. Some time after that, he changed to a two figure reference and my guess would be that yours may be his 132nd instrument and his 42nd mandolin. As for date, I would say mid to late 2000's. Is there not a date on the label?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Hi SCIFIDELITY. There has been previous discussion on Andrej's serial numbers. Mine is number 117 and dates from 2002. Some time after that, he changed to a two figure reference and my guess would be that yours may be his 132nd instrument and his 42nd mandolin. As for date, I would say mid to late 2000's. Is there not a date on the label?
    Thanks for the reply and info! There is no label. He just signed and numbered it in the center inside of the back.

Curiouser and curiouser! Never heard of that before. Perhaps he's run out of labels!

Quote Originally Posted by SCIFIDELITY View Post
    Hi All!

Here is the link to my flickr album with images of my mando!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/380703...7646686811583/

Nice looking mandolin although I would say that - its almost identical to mine.

Yours seems to have a redder sunburst (although that could be something in the photographic chain) and mine came with gold hardware and a fern headstock inlay rather than flowerpot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Nice looking mandolin although I would say that - its almost identical to mine.

Yours seems to have a redder sunburst (although that could be something in the photographic chain) and mine came with gold hardware and a fern headstock inlay rather than flowerpot.
    Thank you! I also started a Holoubek Mandolin Group here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=290

In my best Gwen Stefani voice:

"I ain't no Holoubek Girl!"

I am not a woman and have heard nothing but good about the mandos. Simply, I just had to post this silliness or it wasn't going to leave my head!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!