Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Reischman/ IBMA

Dave Berry

Default Re: John Reischman/ IBMA

This seems like a good time to bump this to the top. I see my dearly departed old buddy SternArt was last to post and as usual, his observation is spot on.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

John's talent level and accomplishments are beyond question - how much more cred does one need than having been a member of the Tony Rice unit? But it's possible that these days he's not touring, recording and putting out and promoting content of himself as much as some of the other players that get nominated. I also don't see him listed in festival line-ups as much which is one way that other artists garner familiarity and name recognition.

I don't know the man but given his talent and accomplishments I doubt that lack of IBMA nominations keeps him up at night.

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    If the Jaybirds were out of Nashville I'll bet they would be on the ballot.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    . I don't know the man but given his talent and accomplishments I doubt that lack of IBMA nominations keeps him up at night.
    Bridging 2006 and 2022, I agree with both comments, and I can’t imagine any of those stellar Jaybirds living in Nashville. The awards for them might be there, but the life isn’t.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    When "O Brother" came out and revitalized roots and bluegrass music, guess who didn't win mandolin player of the year? I haven't paid attention to any of these awards since then. That showed how silly they really are. And I agree with Alan. Contests seem to favor those who can play the most notes, not those who can express something meaningful.

Plus John's from the left coast. That's already two strikes against him. His band has the best total band sound of any band I've ever heard. Everyone is totally locked in to supporting the vocal or the lead player. It's a real treat to listen to and watch.

John does deserve more recognition.
    You reminded me of a quote that I believe is attributable to Voltaire in "Candide"; he said: "Music nowadays is little more than the art of executing difficulties." Yes, it seems like the fast, bucketful of notes players get the greater amount of credit. Not to disparage them or their playing, but it would be nice for people like John Reischman, who play such beautiful licks, to get their due recognition. I'm further reminded of musicians like John Popper, who can play a gillion notes a minute on the harmonica; fine, but listen to John Sebastian's "Night Owl Blues" or his playing on Judy Collins' "Thirsty Boots"--that's harp playing beauty. Or Miles Davis--sure, there have been more technically advanced trumpet players come along, but in my opinion nobody's playing exceeds "Kind of Blue" for its rich and soulful depths.
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

Kudos to Tristan Scroggins.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 12.39.57 PM.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	201429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 12.39.57 PM.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	201429

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog Dave View Post
    You reminded me of a quote that I believe is attributable to Voltaire in "Candide"; he said: "Music nowadays is little more than the art of executing difficulties." Yes, it seems like the fast, bucketful of notes players get the greater amount of credit. Not to disparage them or their playing, but it would be nice for people like John Reischman, who play such beautiful licks, to get their due recognition. I'm further reminded of musicians like John Popper, who can play a gillion notes a minute on the harmonica; fine, but listen to John Sebastian's "Night Owl Blues" or his playing on Judy Collins' "Thirsty Boots"--that's harp playing beauty. Or Miles Davis--sure, there have been more technically advanced trumpet players come along, but in my opinion nobody's playing exceeds "Kind of Blue" for its rich and soulful depths.
    I don’t now recall the people involved but one stellar player referred to another, saying, “He only plays a few notes, but he OWNS those notes.” One of ‘em may well have been Paul Butterfield.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I don’t now recall the people involved but one stellar player referred to another, saying, “He only plays a few notes, but he OWNS those notes.” One of ‘em may well have been Paul Butterfield.
    That's a great quote, Kenny, and it may well have been about the great Paul Butterfield. I saw him at the Atlanta Rock Festival the weekend of July 4, 1969--even though that festival included Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Creedence, and bunches of others, I actually went to it to see Butterfield. Definitely worth it!!
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30

[OT]The first college I went to was west of Chicago and on weekends we’d hop onto the commuter train into the Loop then walk to the clubs where Butter and many others played. We saw many of the greats in those funky, smelly rooms but LORD! The music! I played a lot of sax back then so Gene Dinwiddie outranked Elvin Bishop in my mind at the time. I can’t for the life of me remember who it was but somebody sat in on mandolin with Butter one night when they played In My Own Dream. [/OT]

This year I will make every effort to get out to see John Reischman and the Jaybirds. I sure live close enough!
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    [OT]The first college I went to was west of Chicago and on weekends we’d hop onto the commuter train into the Loop then walk to the clubs where Butter and many others played. We saw many of the greats in those funky, smelly rooms but LORD! The music! I played a lot of sax back then so Gene Dinwiddie outranked Elvin Bishop in my mind at the time. I can’t for the life of me remember who it was but somebody sat in on mandolin with Butter one night when they played In My Own Dream. [/OT]

This year I will make every effort to get out to see John Reischman and the Jaybirds. I sure live close enough!
    Awesome!

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30

Dave Berry

I'm a member of IBMA and reasonably technically capable but can't figure out how to cast a vote for artists. Can someone possibly explain this? I'd bet I'm not the only one.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Boy View Post
    I guess my thought on this is, "So what." I'm sure that winning an award is a very rewarding experience for anybody, but, it sure aint the be all and end all. John's playing and work is certainly recognized and he's got a great music career. I have no idea what the dynamic/politics of who wins are but any effort to define "best" in music or art seems meaningless to me.
    IMHO, awards shows are mostly about promoting the organizations that hand them out. When discussing the elite levels of anything artistic, the concept of "best" begins to lose relevance. Was Rembrandt better than Van Gogh? Beethoven better than Brahms?