Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eastman Mandolin Review

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a recent experience. I've owned and played several really nice mandolins in the past. I'm also very familiar with the "pac-rim" mandolins of today where every manufacturer uses the same mandolin and just puts their name on it. However, the local guitar shop in town had a used Eastman 515 hanging on the wall. I grabbed it down and played a few licks on it. You know what, I just had to have it. It sounded as good as many of the high end instruments coming out these days (not a Gilchrist, Gibson MM, or Nugget of course) but good. Played amazingly well too. So I bought it. Compared it with some other instruments and found it to be a really great little mandolin for $600. I definitely don't have any financial interest in saying this, but I just wanted to pass this info along to the fellow cafe members, I definitely know what it's like to play mando on a budget and have owned a couple of those mass produced "pac-rim" F-Styles before and never was really pleased with them. But these Eastmans are really built using close to standard construction as many of the higher end instruments and very much so surpass many of their competitors such as Fender, Morgan Monroe, MK, etc... The only thing I didn't like about it (as said many times here) was the logo. So I put band-aid over it, problem sovled... Take care...
    Philip Halcomb

Hey, I love my Eastman 605. It's not a Gibson, or an F for that matter, but it's got nicer wood than my custom Gibson 335 CMT DOT guitar (made the last year out of Kalamazoo, which explains that. It shouldn't). If I get to do this for a living I'll invest in the MM.

They seem to like better bridges pretty well. I've put on Cumberland Acoustics and the Husky walrus with notable improvement in focus etc. An easy tweek.
    Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by
    But these Eastmans are really built using close to standard construction as many of the higher end instruments and very much so surpass many of their competitors such as Fender, Morgan Monroe, MK, etc...
    Actually the little 504's are better than many old Gibson A's,F2's and 4's.from the teens and 20's.

chuck

I've got both a 505 and a 604 and love them both. I do have to say that straight out of the box they sounded terrible for about 20 minutes then they both seemed to come alive. each time I play them they require a little time to wake up but that time gets shorter if I play them daily. I have 2 small pet peeves on both of them. 1) the screws on the TRC stick up way too much and will need to be replaced at some point, more on the 505 than the 604, the neck angle is less on the 505 and I can't get a flat strap under the strings at the nut. 2) both had to have the bridge moved back for proper intonation and now there is a finish blemish where the bridge originally was located, almost like they fit the bridge before the finish had completely dried. Other than that I can't find a bad word to say about Eastman and their customer service has been great!
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

My 504 is great. Currently getting the money together for another Eastman - an 'f' hole model... maybe even a scrolly one!

I have mates who have pac rim laminate mando's. There is quite honestly no comparison. In physical and acoustic terms an Eastman mando is more closely resembles a Gibson than it does a Rogue or an Ozark.

Everyone comments on the volume and sustain of my 504 - and on the creamy bass and low-mids.

Smile

I love my 804, sounds great.

Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Quote Originally Posted by (jackofall @ Aug. 31 2006, 09:52)
    My 504 is great. Currently getting the money together for another Eastman - an 'f' hole model... maybe even a scrolly one!

I have mates who have pac rim laminate mando's. There is quite honestly no comparison. In physical and acoustic terms an Eastman mando is more closely resembles a Gibson than it does a Rogue or an Ozark.

Everyone comments on the volume and sustain of my 504 - and on the creamy bass and low-mids.
    what strings are you using on that 504? I took off the J74's on my 604 and put on some GHS PF250's but I am still up in the air over them. I am thinking of trying the J73's next. not sure I want to go any lighter on the D and G like the J62's.
    Jason

I'm using J74s. I'm toying with trying a slightly lighter G and maybe a 12 on the E - Just to see what difference it makes to the overall sound balance.

That's just curiosity really. I'm very happy with what I beat out of the J74s! With FastFret and a rubdown they last reasonably well, even though I play them hard.

Marks on the front usually buff out if they're not too deep. I countersink in the truss rod cover screws. Still a tight fit for a strap. I've put the strap above the first pair of tuners and under the strings before. And around the body under the fingerboard extension. Can soften up/break in the instruments with a vibration system or by squeezing them a bit. Carefully.
    Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by (giannaviolins @ Sep. 01 2006, 00:24)
    I've put the strap above the first pair of tuners and under the strings before. #And around the body under the fingerboard extension.
    On my 805 I find that the strap doesn't sit very well around the body due to the fingerboard extension which seems to be attatched to the top for more of it's length than other A-styles. This means that the strap sits further toards the bridge than I'd like (does this make sense?).

Quote Originally Posted by (giannaviolins @ Sep. 01 2006, 00:24)
    Can soften up/break in the instruments with a vibration system or by squeezing them a bit. Carefully..
    Mine is a couple of months old and it seems a little bit less harsh than when it was new. It's subtle and seems most obvious when playing loud chop chords - the "bark" is a bit less distorted/metallic sounding and a bit warmer/woodier.

I am however intrigued by the "squeezing them a bit" idea. Could you elaborate at all Steve?

Brendan

Grab around ribs with fingers, palms push top or back in a little a few times, flexing the wood. Work around the instrument, top & back. Don't break it! Opens up the bass and generally smooths things out a bit. Some get a big effect, some don't. I've not broken anything so far. A violin technique. At least that is what I learned it from and for.
    Stephen Perry

YIKES the post above is SCARY. . .about the comment about not liking the "logo", do you mean the peghead, because I do think the pegheads are goofy.

Yup. Should be scary. Pretty standard thing to do to violins, at least some makers. Doesn't take much movement to really help an instrument along. Just a little bit of flex. I'm not recommending anyone do this or not do this. Simply a useful and common technique.
    Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by (giannaviolins @ Sep. 01 2006, 03:31)
    I'm not recommending anyone do this or not do this. #Simply a useful and common technique.
    Thanks for that Steve. It sounds interesting but I don't think I'll be trying it! (Could be a recipe for disaster with a half-wit like me doing the squeezing.)

Quote Originally Posted by (dobnc @ Sep. 01 2006, 02:49)
    ..about the comment about not liking the "logo", do you mean the peghead, because I do think the pegheads are goofy.
    I think that a lot of folks on here don't like the Eastman logo. There was a competition to design an alternative a while back (some looked great) but nothing seemed to come of it. Personally, it doesn't upset me enough to resort to electrical tape but I think that Eastman are missing a trick by not having a properly designed, classy logo on there.

However, I dislike the two-pronged peghead on the Eastman A-styles and I'd much prefer see a plain, tapering peghead or a snakehead design.
    I quite like this Eastman asymmetrical peghead: http://www.12fret.com/new/Eastman_MD805_mandolin.jpg but I've never seen this design in the UK.

While I'm at it, I prefer the look of the non-extended fingerboard and nickel (rather than gold) hardware that you get on the 5 series models.

Perhaps if I'd gone with a 505 I could have used the money I'd saved to pay someone to take a hacksaw to that peghead #

Brendan

I actually like the shape of the head on the Eastman A's I think it would be fine on an F too... who needs all that scroll work up there anyway
    Jason

Blog Entries

I'm with Jason. I dig the Monteleone style A peg head and would like one on an F. BTW. What Stephen was describing is part of his Mando Voodoo process he does on instruments and its very good. NFI for me - just satisfied with the results.

I have the JazzMando flatwounds on my 814 and like the tone a playability an awful lot.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Ok guys, I have been sorting through message boards and post trying to make a decision between an Eastman 915 and a Gibson F5G. What do you guys think, I am very very close to buying one of this instrument. Let me know what you think!

Gibson F5G or Eastman 915

Thanks
    Tim
    Playing Morgan Monroe F5 MMS-7
    Pickin Makes Me Grin

which ever one sounds better. i'd lean towards the gibson, but if the eastman were to sound better why not get it.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Two thoughts on your dilemma. Play them side by side and choose the one that sounds best or consider that the GIbson will most likely retain its value better. If you're serious player, I always have chosen tone and play-ability over maker. Plus I tend not to part with my instruments meaning I add and not subtract.
    Loved playing guitar until the day I realized on the mandolin all the notes are in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by (Boomerts @ Sep. 01 2006, 15:13)
    Ok guys, I have been sorting through message boards and post trying to make a decision between an Eastman 915 and a Gibson F5G. What do you guys think, I am very very close to buying one of this instrument. Let me know what you think!

Gibson F5G or Eastman 915

Thanks
    Tim
    I don't think they are comparable. For one, they are more than $1,000 apart in price.

For me, it would be a no-brainer if I had the money. But it doesn't matter which one I would choose. You ought to play them each, not make a decision to spend more than 2 grand based on people chatting on a message board.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I finally got to play my first Eastman. Dropped into the local music shop last night and they had 3 on the wall. For the price I was impressed. They cream the other Asian makes. Responsive and easy to play, but with a few setup issues and no where near as clean and warm sounding as my mandolins. The F hole A was quite nice, but the oval hole sounded wierd. The top was braced wierdly, which probably explains the wierd sound. I suspect Eastman will put Kentucky and Samick out of business here if they can sort out their supply chain.

Having said that, I am more than just a little bit annoyed at Eastman. *** annoyed in fact. Two years ago I offered to market their cases and mandolins here in Australia, but before committing funds to this endeavour I needed a sample mandolin to check out the quality. Many emails later and over a period of 12 months all they managed to deliver was one case! I liked the case so much I was going to supply all my instruments with an Eastman case. The Eastman guy seemed to be happy with my proposal but I got utterly exasperated with their unreliability. I had a buyer lined up for one of their mandolins and a case, but despite ordering 3 cases and a sample mandolin and sending credit card details what did they send? Bugger all NOTHING! They seem to have decided to totally ignore me and now that they are finally getting their act in order have decided to continue to ignore me again and use another importer. I was prepared to support their product here (repairs, setups etc) and give them feedback and tips from my experience on how they could improve their instruments. Over time I suspect Eastman will come to be the desired entry level mandolin here in Australia and I am going to get stuck with their repair and fixing setup problems because the guy importing them does not know how to set them up properly. That is already starting to happen. Not impressed.

Anyway, there was one consolation. The buyer I had lined up also got fed up waiting for nothing to arrive and bought one of my mandolins. After playing the Eastmans in the shop, he definately made the right decision.

Sorry, end of rant.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

23. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by (Eric F. @ Sep. 01 2006, 16:23)
    I don't think they are comparable. For one, they are more than $1,000 apart in price.
    Eric, I not really sure they are not comparable. I've owned Gibsons before, an F9 and a F5G and I actually sold the F5G pretty quickly because it didn't do much for me. (That's not a Gibson bash because I have played some outstanding F5G's) This particuliar Eastman blows that particuliar F5G away believe it or not. And the sound is not any worse than the F9, maybe different but not any better or worse. It's definitely not the best sounding instrument I own or have owned however it sounds nice. I've been playing it exclusively for the past week however it's probably gonna end up being an instrument I'm not afraid to take anywhere or I'll give it to my son when he gets old enough to play.

As Peter Coombe said, it surely needed a little setup work. I took the nut slots down quite a bit to make it real easy to play. I adjusted the badly positioned bridge so it's intonated. Scored the finish on the top in the process. One good thing for sound but bad thing for looks is that it appears they use a very soft thin finish that is easy to scratch. Then as someone else recommended I replaced the bridge all together with a radiused saddle bridge from Cumberland Acoustics. I had to remove quite a bit of ebony from the base and saddle to get the action at an acceptable level because of the particuliar graduations of the top. But it's all set now, not a tremendous difference in sound right off the bat but hopefully it will settle in and sound a little better. The only other thing that should be done to it although it's not extremely necessary is that I should reinstall the tailpiece so that it's in alignment with the neck. As with many mass produced archtop instruments the neck and tailpiece are not in good alignment, not terrible either. I agree with Peter on setup though, bad setup is one of my pet peeves, because no matter if it's Washburn or a Gibson it seems I always end up setting it up in the end myself anyway or if I'm feeling lazy drive it down to my friend who deals with these headaches for a living. At least in this case it didn't need to have the fingerboard planed and refretted out of the box like some mandos from one famous *ahem* maker that we all know and love.

Anyhow logos and brand names aside, a famous player once told me that the true aesthetics in an instrument is in it's sound and playability. I've always known this however some makers make such "nice" looking mandolins it's easy to get caught up in the "gear" quest to have some object of pubicly known worth which serves as sort of a status symbol. However I say if the Eastman sounds better than the Gibson then go for it. What good is an immaculate looking expensive mandolin if it sounds like poopy. The best mandolin I've ever owned had a bazillion cosmetic issues with it, but it's sounded and played tremendously. Good luck...

Philip Halcomb

a famous player once told me that the true aesthetics in an instrument is in it's sound and playability
    Amen to that.

However I say if the Eastman sounds better than the Gibson then go for it. What good is an immaculate looking expensive mandolin if it sounds like poopy.
    And to that, too!

I recently bought a Breedlove KF and a eastman 615. Well, all this hype about Eastman, well, they can keep them. Bought them Both within the last year. Everyone talks about the eastman bang for your buck. Well, I know I will get lots of hate comments about this but this is my opinion. I dont see, feel or hear the bang. I have a Korean Martin Mandolin from the 70's that looks, plays, and sounds as good if not better. I will give it a chance and send it in for Mando voodoo but for now, Its not worth the money. Im not saying they are bad, they are just not good. Again, in my opinion. The breedlove totaly kicks. Everything about it is just wonderful. It plays nice, sounds nice and you can see and feel the quality of the workmanship. Eastman on the other hand has a slopy finish especialy around the scroll. Definately not a lot of care going into these things. Maybe on the higher end ones but I dont know. Just telling it as I see it. May not be worth much, I understand. Im not a breedlove spokesperson or anything just a guy with an opinion. Ok, you can hate me now.