Thread: Bill Monroe's "I'm blue, I'm lonesome"

I am having a hard time finding any bluegrass tabs for mandolin on the internet. Some of my favortie songs are really hard to find apparently.

blue moon of kentucky
    I'm blue, I'm lonesome
    orange blossom special

there's a bunch, but I am looking for "I'm blue, I'm lonesome" to get started with. So far, I have been playing stuff from ear, and from seeing guys play on TV, like Del McCoury, and a few other bands... Marty Stewart playing with earl scruggs... very nice stuff! Also, A band from Texas, The Geezinslaws... Very Very VERY funny and talented!

Anyhow, if anyone has any tabs, or can point me in the right direction. (tab sites are being shut down, because it appears to be some sort of copyright infringement)

Thanks,
    John

I got it from acousticdisc.com along time ago. Click on the Music Studio button. You can find it listed. For some reason my computer is having a problem opening this PDF file.

Tom,
    Thanks a bunch!
    If only I had my E strings, I might give it a go. I have been playing banjo, fiddle and guitar for years. Even though, my fingers are acting like they have no callouses at all, from pounding on the mandolin. That little stinker has 'em raw!

Thanks again!
    John

I've found the best way for me to learn these songs is to learn em myself by ear. It helps to have one of those programs that slows the tunes down but keeps the pitch constant (and maybe adjusts the pitch too since sometimes the old recordings aren't exactly right). I was just listening to "I'm blue I'm lonesome" yesterday and marked it as one I want to learn.

Jeff,

I'm not a big computer person. What is the name of that program? I have a really old computer, I'd probably have to get something better with a more capable sound card.

How would you go about learning a fast song by ear? I have learned all my fiddle tunes by ear, but with the mandolin and the banjo, I'm afraid I am gonna have to go by tabs. The stuff is just too fast for me to pick up.

I agree though, it is a really good song, and it sounds like fun to play.

John

There are a few out there. I use Transcribe!, and there's another called The Amazing Slower Downer (I think). Transcribe! has worked great for me so I never tried the others...

I have used the demo of Amazing Slow Downer for years. Finally bought the full version. Very configurable regarding pitch and speed.