Thread: non-guitar mando players rollcall

just interested? seems like most everyone who posts was or still is a guitar player who plays mando now. are there any folks beside me who never played guitar/ a stringed instrument before pickin up the mando??

I started out with the mandolin, but I am slowing picking up the guitar. I'm not too good though, mediocre at best

Does it count if I've never played a guitar or other stringed instrument well?
    Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

I'm a bass player, learning the mandolin.

Got pretty tired of lugging the old dog house around everywhere!

Z
    Member since 2003!

I started out a few months back on the Mando, previously I was great and accomplished at the air guitar, but that didn't translate well to the wonderful instrument # #

I have picked up a cheapo guitar since, just to learn those foreign chords. #It helps to see what the other guy is playing as my ear is still being trained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Joe

I took guitar lessions for about 6 months when I was about 10 years old...I then played drums in Jr. and Sr. High Band. When the band director was teaching theory...us drummer where hitting each other with our sticks I should have been listening! Although, I think coming from a percussion background has been an advantage with the mandolin.
    I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

I would fall into that category! #I played clarinet in middle school for 1 year and that was it. #I got my first mandolin 3 years ago. #As a lefty, went through the dilemma whether to learn right-handed, or seek out the right lefty mandolin for me. #I decided, with some help of fellow pickers, to go ahead and try it right handed. #I caught on fairly quickly and it felt comfortable to me. #Now my Martin Guitar is my second instrument!

Happy Pickin'~
    Michelle

Grew up on violin; way back a long time ago before folk had made a resurgence. Got tired playing classical and stopped. Years later I wanted to play something and figured on mandolin. I've tried guitar but it's completely hugely alien.
    Wye Knot

I actually did play some guitar but I don't think it counts in my case because I never really learned it well, just played for 2 years or so and just played very easy rhythm. Before that I had never touched a stringed instrument.

I waited until I was 62 to pick up any stringed instrument. I can tell you that being able to play bassoon and saxophone doesn't translate worth a hoot to mandolin. However, this mandolin thing is really a disease. In three years I've owned five, built one and have my first electric being delivered today.

Dave
    Dave in Loveland, OH
    dvoyles276@fuse.net

I have dabbled in a number of musical instruments over the course of 46 years, including a little guitar strumming in college. But never stuck with any instrument long enough to say I could actually play it. My last attempt was the violin/fiddle about 12 years ago. Gave it up after a year. I've been playing mandolin now for a little over a year and half and have reached a point where I can play, and I learn more every time I pick up the instrument. This is it for me. I intend to master this thing as well as my middle-aged fingers and mind will let me. No guitar or anything else. Just mandolin.

Mandolin is the first instrument I've ever learned. My wife is learning guitar, so maybe I'll give that a try down the road. Way down the road...

Jason

Mandolin was the first instrument I've attempted to learn to play. I just wish I would have started a lot sooner.

Ditto Darren above.
    Mike McManus

Violin player (parents started me on the Suzuki classical program when I was 2 1/2.) I've started on the fiddle recently

My wife bought me a bowl back about a year ago. I'm just about ready to purchase a flat-back mando.

played fiddle (mostly jazz-rock) from age 16 to about 28, then started on mandolin (i'm 41 now). never could play guitar -- the fourths thing throws me off. i actually started on fiddle cuz everybody else i knew played guitar, so i figured i'd try something different.
    Foley #268
    Janish #183
    Newell #22
    Weber D-hole Hyalite

Mandolin, then tenor banjo. Don't play banjo all that much and went to tenor so I could use manolin chords. Do not want to play Guitar.

the mando is my first and only instrument that i play. ive been playing for over a year now, and im slowly trying to teach myself violin, but thats another story.
    "A mando is a terrible thing to waste."

started my musical journey on the mando 31 years ago. never wanted to play guitar, never did, never will.

Blog Entries

Tried the trumpet in elementary school, but it didn't take. Tried the guitar in college, but it was poorly set up and hurt, so I dropped it right quick. Wanted to learn mando 10 years ago but was told that the local teacher would on;y take students with stringed instrument experience. Only came back to it 2.5 years ago on a trip where one person brought one along: I tried it, and got stuck in it!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Played mando first, but learned guitar to play backup to myself. I went to the dark side.... But only once or twice a month. Do I need help?

Bass Strum, Strum, Bass I'm confused? Dan
    Play em like you know em!