Thread: K-4 Mandocello

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

Looking for some insight about K-4 Mandocellos. Please share.
    dunno

Had one for a few years. An interesting instrument, but the fact that it's tuned in fifths makes the stretches quite unpleasant, so far as I was concerned. When I realised I was not ever playing it for that reason, I sold it.

Whoa. Um. Tuning in 5ths is what this site is all about.

I hardly ever see K4s for sale. K1s and K2s are easier to find. If you don't have a cello but you're interested in them, I wouldn't wait for a K4 if I were you. Get something else and move up to the K4 later if you find one.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ Oct. 01 2006, 23:15)
    True - and playing long-scale instruments tuned in fifths is quite a work-out if you're playing any kind of melody. I sold my Weber Sage OM for that reason, though I loved the sound. I now have a shorter scale OM that plays well enough, thogh it doesn't have the clarity of tone. Oddly enough, I would love a Weber Tamarack or other 'cello for the deeper notes. I've only pIayed a Tamarack - no other 'cellos - but absolutely loved the sound.

I simply won't be buying one for quite a long time without good fortune making a sudden appearance.

-Phil

I got an K4 awhile back and it mostly sits in the corner waiting for someone to come over and say whats that dang deal, pick it up and play for a little while.
    I have the same issue with the long scale, just can;t get the fingers to obey. I am still hanging on to it with hopes that as my mandolin playing gets better my cello skills improve.
    i play bass in a band and thought that would help, but its a different beast all together.
    I do love the tone of the mandocello at some point i will put some time in on it. I also love the look of the scroll and its great size.
    dryseptember

Registered User Justin Carvitto's Avatar

Yeah, I don't think I'll wait for a k-4 to pop up. So Iam in the market for K1 or 2.

In the mean time, Iam going to build one. But, I don't have access to a cello. So Iam searching for a willing soul to ask many of questions.
    dunno

Quote Originally Posted by (PhilGE @ Oct. 02 2006, 17:54)
    Quote Originally Posted by (mrmando @ Oct. 01 2006, 23:15)
    True - and playing long-scale instruments tuned in fifths is quite a work-out if you're playing any kind of melody.
    Yes, but it helps you learn some good habits. Takes the slop out of your left hand. Strengthens your pinky. Helps you learn to play up the neck, to shift a lot, to find workable fingerings. These skills can translate back to shorter-scale instruments.

There's a blacktop teens K2 with Handels coming online soon at Dusty Strings in Seattle. And dryseptember: if you ever want to unload the K4, I know a good buyer.

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls