Thread: Shipping a mandolin

I am selling one of my mandolins. I was wondering if there are any precautions that I should take when packing it up. I have heard some people talk about slackening the strings, but I'm not sure if I should do this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

perhaps tune flat a little bit, not so much as the bridge will shift and have intonation go off enroute. # lightly pad it inside its case, and then a big box with lots of padding to keep the case in the middle of the padding of course #bubblewrap or styro p-nuts wont add too # much #to carton total weight. #but crumpled comics pages will add amusement , perhaps to the recipient.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've never shipped one, but have received a few. My last mando had the strings tuned down and had the neck bubble wrapped in the case; Shipped all over the place with no problems.

We have a place nearby that makes custom cardboard boxes. I take my stuff there so the box fits just right-- then plenty of peanuts

Cheers
    Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I agree with the turning down of the strings (about a 1/4 of the way), I was also told this by a luthier that builds and ships them cross country all the time. I would also strongly suggest having insurance added in on the S&H costs to be on the safe side.
    You can never over do it on the "Popcorn" and "Bubble Wrap". I know of and have received mandolins in the past where the mandolin was intact in the case but the case itself was wrapped well with bubble wrap along with it sitting in the middle of the box with "Popcorn"... enough Popcorn to where the case isn't resting on the "bare bottom" of the cardboard box... kind of like free floating but stable in the popcorn.
    'Tis better to know that you have a True Enemy than to know to have a False Friend "...(quoted by unknown).

I would go further than this. Loosen the strings enough so that the bridge can be removed and put the bridge in the storage pocket of the case. Put some bubble wrap or other light padding between the strings and the top of the mandolin. Doesn't hurt and could prevent damage.

For an EXCELLENT tutorial with pictures, see this link:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPa....g1.html

I've read on other forums about receiving instruments with the peghead broken off. If you follow the instructions given in the above link, you greatly minimize your chances of any damage.

Lance

Definitely tune down before shipping. The last instrument I received had been shipped fully tuned. Evidentlty the box had been dropped somewhere en route and the force pulled the neck away from the body. I was able to effect repairs myself, but I believe if the strings had been tuned down to reduce tension on the neck, this wouldn't have happened.

Also check with your local retail music store for boxes. There is a guitar seller near where I live who also stocks a few mandos. He's always glad to get rid of his extra shipping boxes as otherwise he has to cart them off to the recycling place himself. You can usually find one just the right size. He offers to let me have them free, but I always give him a couple of dollars for them. Beats what you'd have to pay at one of the specialty shipping places. I do recommend double-boxing, though, with plenty of peanuts.
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"