Page 103 of 297 FirstFirst ... 3537899100101102103104105106107128153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 7403

Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

Yeah, I did my best but there were some heavy hitters on it from the collector's scene. I know most of the folks bidding. I think that that one was smaller than piccolo and prob tuned an octave above a mandolin. The overall length was, as I recall, 12.5" so the scale might have been something like 7" or 8".

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

What is a good price for a Martin Style 5 Mandolin in good condition?

Thanks Joe

Quote Originally Posted by (chey47 @ Nov. 10 2006, 14:01)
    What is a good price for a Martin Style 5 Mandolin in good condition?
    You mean like this one?

Bear in mind that I am the owner of a style 6 Martin... and I am in awe of it in some ways.

However, as far as a playing instrument, I think you can do just as well with a plainer model, Martin, Vega, Washburn (or a host a Italian instruments and a fraction of the cost). Of course, if you have the buck to burn for such a thing and it gets you going, why not. They are prime examples of incredible artistry and workmanship. OTOH you are paying for all that without any increase in tone or playability, necessarily.

Just my dos centavos...

In a more direct answer to your question: VG Guide (published earlier this year) says about $2000-2400 for a style 5. YMMV.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Or perhaps this one?

I concur with Jim; while I have a few over-the-top bowlbacks, the problems associated with tiny bits of inlay and generally delicate doodads make me reluctant to play them much. And for the most part, they are not superior as musical instruments, however much they may be visually provocative. (Let us not get into exactly what it is they provoke; tastes vary with the time and the company.)

What Jim and Bob said.

I do prefer to play my A styles (Kevin Mathers, Oldtime Mandolins or Eastman 604) but there is something so intriguing about bowlbacks.

Did see the one at Bernunzio's when I was in the store today. Very nice. The one at Elderly's in Bob's post looks to be in excellent condition, even the case!

Well I am much more interested in tone and playability than looks, any suggestions if I am willing to spend about 2,000?

Forgot to mention I had a Washburn Bowlback and I want something much better, I definitely want to put my money towards tone and playability.

Depends on how you want to go. New? Used? Vintage Italian?

At that level, you have to think along the same lines as if you were spending, oh, 5-10 times as much on a US F5. In other words, that's a lot of money for a bowlback. At that level, you should be refining your sight picture toward a particular maker, by reason of having experienced a number of different instruments, and have an idea of just what you want.

You could get a new Calace or Pandini (I think Pandini is closer to 3k now that the dollar is sucking mud). You might luck into a low-end Embergher. You could get a nice Martin, or a Vega Pettine (if you could find one). You could get 3-4 midlevel Italian instruments from the turn of the century. Ceccherini, Salsedo, De Meglio, etc. It sort of depends on what you find that you prefer.

You could also go toward a Lyon & Healy carved-top; a style B or C should be approachable, and they're very fine instruments. Don't be put off by the fact that they aren't the top of the line - they sound and play just as well as the style A, they just don't have the same level of trim.

If you are anywhere near Washington DC you are welcome to slide by and play with my instruments. I have several, and you might get an idea of which way you'd like to proceed. Or you could spend some money on shipping, and have a few dealers send you stuff on approval. This usually involves buying the instrument; then you have a trial period of a day or two to decide whether to keep it.

Rare on this side of the Atlantic: a higher-end Washburn.

Martin

Nice Washburn!

I was high bidder on a DeMeglio #280044321090

Another DeMeglio, #330045637641, sold for 110GBP, $200 more and wasn't in anywhere as good condition. #It did include a couple of books though

Haven't purchased a vintage bowlback mandolin over a year, since September '05, and this week acquired two more.

Wow, Doreen, you are quickly getting to our level of insanity

Congratulations! How many Demeglios do you have now, or was your first Italian mandolin a Ceccherini -- I can't recall?

BTW the reason your sold for less was that yours was a "Vincerro de Meglio" and the other, more pricey one was a "de Melio". Also, yours was missing one string and this other was missing 5.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks, Jim. Yes, I've crossed the line . . .

Now, I have two DeMeglios. My first bowlback was a pretty, rather ornate Stridente ordered from Pamela's, UK, in October 2004. Since then, besides the DeMeglios, I've acquired a Ceccherini, a Marcelli (German) and the Ciani.

As a way of paying it back for the first bowlback I won the money for at a raffle, I donated the Marcelli, which was a very nice mando with an equally nice case, to an auction to raise funds for my high school class' next reunion. The person who purchased it, a guitar playing attorney, is now taking mandolin lessons and loves it.

Nice one, Doreen. It's this one, isn't it (I think the Ebay number in your post had an extraneous digit in it)? Looks to be in fine condition, and that's a decent price for it. More frets, too, than most of them. I strongly suspect that the "crack" at the headstock/neck joint is no such thing but rather the normal transition from veneered neck to stained headstock. The first time I saw one of these, I thought there was a crack, too. Good to see the tailpiece cover present, although it's upside down and pushed under the strings. Looks like the "anchor" part that attaches to the tailpiece pegs is either missing or bent. But that's trivial: this one looks in unusually good condition, really.

There've been a lot of de Meglios on Ebay UK lately, with a wide range of conditions and a wide range of winning bids. As usual, no correlation between the former and the latter...

Martin

Martin,
    Thanks! Yes that's the one. Thanks too for the info. Didn't realize it had extra frets. I was hoping that the the "crack" at the headstock/neck joint was insignificant and it probably is just what you say it is. Interesting about the tailpiece cover It is good to see one though. When I receive the deMeglio, I'll bring it in to the luthier who has worked on my others for string change (Lenzner) cleaning, checking for cracks etc. I'll also bring your post. It may claify some things for him. Thanks again. Doreen

Ain't nobody here innarested in <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-1904-MARTIN-BOWL-BACK-MANDOLIN-with-CASE_W0QQitemZ200047689240QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1

0179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">this Martin bowlback?</a>

Three+ days to run, no bids, they're asking $250.

Go for it Bob... that Martin does look pretty nice. Maybe a good one for chey47?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Ever since Eugene put a jinx on the price of Martin bowlbacks the prices have skyrocketed :~)

Makes me want to put mine up on the market.

Now this one sits here tempting us (and fate.)

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Sorry, Mick.

Not for me, thanks, but it could be a steal for someone who needs a good bowlback.

Another Ceccherini, from the same seller as the best of my three. This one seems in good condition, but is more worn than mine. Pity the bridge is non-original -- it spoils the asthetic somewhat and may be inferior in function, too, although at least it seems to be a bowlback-appropriate bridge and seems to have been well-fitted. This is the first time I've seen an inlaid fretboard finial like this, and I'm not sure I like it.

Overall, very similar to mine, though, and should make a good instrument.

Martin

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Yes, I was eyeballing that one myself. Hmm, maybe I'll have to sell a Martin to raise the $$$.

Bob's bid up to $431 without hitting the reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....=1&rd=1

Now if the kids would just be satisfied with an orange and some coal in their Christmas stockings.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Here's another Martin Style O with a side pickguard.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I think this 1919 de Meglio is the youngest one I've ever seen.

Not many American bowls in the UK, so this plain one is unusual here. Never heard of the maker, "Frank Jones, Walbridge, Orange, NJ".

This Loveri looks very clean indeed, and I wonder if the top has been sanded down.

Martin

Interesting deMeglio. My new/old deMeglio was made in 1903. The other one I have 1897! Both are 1A's, have the same woods, tuners, very similar scratch plate. The 1903 has a much larger label and an additional metal piece on the headstock, a different shaped neck and is a bit heavier than the other. Also has the original bridge (with brass insert). It will be interesting to see if they differ much in sound once in is cleaned, repaired (cracks on top) and restrung with Lenzners.

Really like the Loveri. Agree with you on the Ceccherini, Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Nov. 20 2006, 08:02)
    I think this 1919 de Meglio is the youngest one I've ever seen.
    This one was dated 1923 -- very similar to the current one -- was on eBay in April of this year.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99_1_b.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	19851  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: