Thread: Collings mt or gibson a9?

I posted earlier about looking to buy an F in the $1,500 range. You people actually talked some sense into me, and I think I am going to shell out a few hundred more bucks for a good A instead.

I'm looking at the Collings MT and Gibson A9, and I would appreciate any input regarding these instruments or others in the $2,000 range. I haven't had a chance to play either of these Mandolins, and it will be difficult for me to find them in my area.

Thanks!

I haven't played or heard the Gibson, but I have no complaints about my Collings MT...I bought it from a dealer close by never having played one. I had heard Amy Finders play hers and read the Fretboard Journal article on Collings and decided that I'd give it a try....sell it if I didn't like it. It's not for sale!

Another vote for the MT,a fine sounding mandolin.
    Also Collings tone is consistent, a safe long distance purchuse.

The last time I was in Gruhn's I thought an MT was the best mandolin they had for less than $5,000. The sales person agreed. On the other hand, another guy played it and said it sounded thin. So it does come down to personal taste and it's impossible for me or anyone else to know what you will respond to. Further, you can sometimes find a used A9 for a grand or even less. That's a mighty fine mando for the money.

Another option might be a Breedlove Cascade. Cotten Music has THIS one for $1895.

I like Breedloves, but they are not everyone's cup of tea.

I've played both and they can both be nice but they sound different. Try them and buy what works for you.

PS. I bought the MT.

Owned both. Miss the MT every day. Both great, MT won overall in playability, volume, looks, etc... Worth the extra $$$. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I've played both as well, I prefered the tone of the particuliar A9 over the MT that I played on that day. Both these instruments were at Mandolin Bros in NYC. Your mileage may vary, as I always say you gotta play em' to get a true comparison of what you like best.
    Philip Halcomb

Never played an A9, but I miss my now ex-MT every day. It was very versatile, I thought - could play just about anything, playability was excellent, and as someone else said, Collings consistency means that it's a safe long-distance purcahse (how I bought mine).

Kirk Albrecht
    Eastman 315
    Epiphone MM-20
    Martin D-16H
    MIJ reissue 62 Strat
    Gregory Furan custom L-49

Both are excellent instruments. I just helped a friend with this same decision - she opted for the MT mainly because she wanted a radius fretboard. The Gibson will have a flat fretboard. What music do you play? If you play mainly Celtic or folk the MT can't be beat for it's versatility. If you play Bluegrass you want the A-9. There is a distinct difference in sound. I prefer the sound of the A-9 - which does not mean there is anything wrong with the sound of the MT.

Wayne
    Smile Anyway

I've owned 2 A9's. One was good and the other was great. THe one I recently sold was made in 04. Perhaps the 04's to current are more consistent than the earlier ones. This A9 had the Gibson tone in spades and it sounded better than the MT's I have played. The A9 has a Sitka top and the MT has an Engelmann top.

The A9/F9 is the only Gibson mandolin I've played that I didn't think was way overpriced. But I still think the MT is better. Get a used one though.

My vote is for the A9.
    I've owned my A9 for 3 years and have yet to find a better sounding mandolin that I can afford (<$3000). I played a few MT's at a local music store last night with both gloss and matte finish. I realize my mandolin is "broken in", but I found the MT's sound incomparable. Basically, there was such a sound difference that I couldn't imagine the Collings improving enough (to my ear) with even 5 years playing time. They sounded really tight and shallow in comparison to my Gibson.
    On the other hand, I do think the MT models look nicer.
    This is just another opinion.
    Josh S

So, the answer is try them yourself and see what (if either) really talks to you. I would think in Southern California it shouldn't be that hard to find a place that carries both, and before putting down $1,000-$2,000 I'd want to try them out. And if neither really seems to have it there are other options (as in Weber, used Flatiron. . . .).

Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Hey guys, I live in the Scottish Borders and trying good mandolins here is incredibly difficult. I play a couple of Jimmy Moon A's and a brilliant Bouzouki he made for me last year. (Jimmy is a great guitar and mandolin family builder in Glasgow)

Today in Edinburgh I was amazed to see a Gibson F9 'masterbuilt, brand new on the wall of a retailer @ just under £3000 (pounds sterling) At todays exchange rate, thats almost $6000! The finish was very average, flat non gloss top, no binding a fingerboard that seemed slightly shrunk compared to the neck. It sounded pretty good with a bark like tone with slightly dull trebles compared to my Moon A's. A dear freind and probably one of our best mandolin pickers#here in Scotland had a Kentucky F that sounds ten times better!
    I tried a couple of Collings MT's at Mandolin brothers in Staten Island back in June, they were brilliant! And I want one (I should have bought one there and then) #or possibly a Mowry? Loud clear and beautifully put together, unlike the Gibson I saw today. My Moon 'A+' is three times the mandolin @ a third of the price. I find this very confusing? #
    I play a lot of guitar and Gibson seem to be lapsing back to the state they were in 10-15 years ago. Most Martin, Santa Cruz, Collings, even Taylors and Yamaha's are put together far better than most Gibsons we see over this side of the pond, In fact Santa Cruz and Collings are in a different class, all together. Do you keep all the good Gibson Mandolins and guitars on your side?
    Please, this is not an attack on Gibson in any way. I just cant understand the fiscal element & the serious amounts of cash involved v's the quality of instrument.

Kindest regards from Alister in the Scottish Borders]