Thread: Kentucky pancake mandolin

does anyone know if the kentucky km-100s was the model in the "army-navy" that was made with solid top, back and sides? i did i search here but all i could figure out was they had three models: all-laminate, solid-top and all-solid wood; no model numbers were mentioned. i think there was also a km-60 and a km-60s, but i'm not sure and i can't find anything to back that up here or on the web. thanks for any help

Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

I was wondering the same thing...

I've seen a few on ebay, but know nothing about them. They are not the best looking mandolins I've seen, but I wonder if anyone has had experience with these "flat" Kentuckys??

Well I snagged one off the ebay, and I have jammed out on her, so here is a review: #It is cool. #She is light in weight, loud just like a good pancake should, and easy to pick. #A small nut width, probably 1 1/8, and short neck feel, I'm used to the wide nut, long neck deals. #General fit and finish are fine. #I have a lot of experience with the Flatirons of the 80's and 90's and this is a perfect budget old school pancake that will work just fine. #I like the snakehead vibe as well. #This is a low stress instrument that will do perfect duty for taking to work, and at 125.00 she is good to go, let me know if you need more info, later, dy.

Thanks for the review. I'd like to own a pancake mando, but I really don't want to spend $500 on a Flatiron, so I thought the old Kentuckys 100 might be a good alternative.

Sound like it might fit what I'm after. Has yours shown any signs of top sinkage?

Hey Walter, no sinkage...I'm trying to get away from the "Name Brand" syndrome, where there is more mojo in the name than the tone. YET, I do have a killer BRW, Martin guitars, and a top name recording set up...that said, I have switched gears on my last two purchases. I snagged this Kentucky KM100S rather than the Flatiron. The KM will do tone, feel, and work just fine, and I need to remember that. I bought a 15 Series "Custom" Martin. Yes, she is a custom order, yet still an all mahogany low budget Martin, and I bought her rather than that 00-18VS which is 3 times the price. Anynow, I don't wish to hijack this post with off topic themes, so here is my last statement: I am finding out that there are better alternatives to the name brand game and this budget KM is a perfect example that I will continue to live by...or buy as in more MAS...later, dy.

i'm glad you got it man, does it have a satin finish on it?
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Satin finish, yep...very light in weight, but the case, which was handmade by the owner, is one tough box, it's nice and all, but heavy, I'll track down a bag to use for going to work and such, and for the road trips I'll use the box...did you get that vintage flat mando? Later, dy.

I believe that's what my first mandolin was. A km 100 or a KM90. I was a flat top, Sunburst Army-Navy type mandolin. It was ok to start with. I bought it used for about 90 bucks seems like. (too much in 1983) . The neck was warped and it didn't have a truss rod to adjust it. And it sounded OK but my dad said it sounded like I was beating on a coffee can (trying to chop). It was a fun little mandolin. I sold it to some fellow for a starter for his grand child. I don't really wish I had it back, but if there was a good one it'd be fun to have. Several years ago Gibson used to import some kind of flat top and sell them at the store in nashville. Some were painted colors. I wish I had one of those. Post some pics of it.

Naw...I don't have the ability to do the pic thing, and the coffee can lingo is about right, but this is what it is, old import flat army-navy, but way fun and low stress, dy.