Thread: Big joe and gibson

I play (or at least try to) both banjo and mandolin, and am posting this on the Banjo Hangout and Mandolin Cafe, so if you read this twice, sorry.

I just got back from Nashville, and while I was there I went to Opry Mills to the Gibson store. I met with Big Joe and was lucky enough to go to lunch with him and DJ, who I believe is the store manager.

For those of you who have never been there, if you get the chance to go there, you won't be disappointed. Joe and his staff were *very* friendly and helpful. I got to tour the adjoining repair and manufacturing facilities and see instruments in various stages of construction. It was really interesting!

While there I played various mandolins. I didn't get to see the Ricky Skaggs, as it had just been sold the day before. I did play the Master Models they had there, although I made the mistake of playing them first. After playing them and then going to the others and playing them, it was like playing a cheap instrument. Don't get me wrong, they were still great, but there was no comparison between them and the Master Models.

Even with the new instruments there was still a difference between tones of the same models. I also liked the "new" Master Models as compared to the "distressed." It was still great, I guess it's just the idea that if I'm buying a new instrument, I want it to look new. But I can see where others want the look and it doesn't matter to them.

While I was there, they also received "The Earl" banjo back from being on display for a year or so. That's the $55,000 banjo with Earl's picture on the resonator. What a beautiful instrument. I even got to hold it! I could have played it, but I didn't want to embarrass myself. I played for 10 years or so and then quit for 22 years. I still listened to and enjoyed bluegrass, but quit playing. Just started playing again about a month ago, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Again, if you ever have the chance, I encourage you to go to the Gibson store and be impressed with Big Joe and his staff, as well as the great instruments!

Lance

just don't take your wife, unless she picks, you won't be able to spend half the time you want in there!
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

I went into the Gibson shop in Memphis a while back. The one Gibson mandolin had rusted strings and was way out of setup. No Big Joe there, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I saw Elvis there, though...

I've got to plan a trip to Nashville because I've really got to have a Gibson Sam Bush some day...
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare