Thread: "geometry, proportion, and the art of lutherie"

Hi all,
    Such is the book's title, "Geometry, Proportion, and the Art of Lutherie" by Kevin Coates. I would very much like to leaf through a copy of this book. It is quite an expensive one, nearly $500, my question would be, does anyone own a copy, or know someone who owns a copy, who wouldn't mind lending it for a month or two to a very thankful luthier hoping to do a bit of research.
    Anyone know why in fact it is so expensive? Rarity or pure genius?

Many thanks.

Eh, wow, I just found two local libraries that might have it, Universities, but they might let me in. This site is pretty neat, http://worldcatlibraries.org/
    Seems there is a Stradivari mandolino with precise dimensions I am very curious of in this book... Very exciting.

I haven't seen the name Kevin Coates for decades. He made the first recording on an 18th century Neapolitan mandolin back in the 1970s, and also wrote an article on the mandolin for Early Music magazine back then.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Brian,
    Amazing. Thanks for the link. There is a copy in the library right across the street from me. I'm going to sign it out today.
    Amazing.
    Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Yes, this *is* a wonderful book, and a joy to look at. #I'm fortunate to have finally gotten a copy (after over-subscribing the copy from the local library, and then waiting for over six months on multiple Bibliofind/Alibris lists, and finally paying through the nose!) #I'm afraid I wouldn't lend my copy (I'm just that stingy) but most any decent University library should have one.

The book includes several drawings that analyze mandolins of various types:

- A lovely four-course mandore (Cite de la Musique, E.222), presumably circa 1640 (?)
    - The five-course mandolino ascribed to Stradivarius (Beare collection), presumably circa 1710 (?)
    - A lovely and early Johannes Vinaccia Neapolitan mandolin (1753)

There are, of course, many other wonderful instruments (lutes, viols, violins, etc.) that are analyzed as well, some quite interesting. #The book is also very well written and researched, IMHO, and rather fun to read. #Not everyone agrees with the extent of Mr. Coates' conclusions on how these instruments were "drawn", but I must admit to being an enthusiastic follower.

Luthiers in early times were often depicted in paintings and woodcuts with a compass or divider... To me, proportion is everything in this business...

Eric

"The effect is pretty at first... It is disquieting to find that there are nineteen people in England who can play the mandolin; and I sincerely hope the number may not increase."

- George Bernard Shaw, Times of London, December 12, 1893

OK.. now I'm distracted. I thought I'd share a few choice quotes from Mr. Coates' discussion on the Neapolitan mandolin:

"The creation of the Neapolitan mandoline at once brings to mind
    the story that the camel was a horse designed by a committee."

"Even more interesting is that fact that a still-careful application of
    proportional knowledge should be made during a period when the
    quality of design, of decoration, and of manufacture was beginning
    to decline into a state of factory-produced decadence."

I told you it is a fun read... :-)

Eric
    "The effect is pretty at first... It is disquieting to find that there are nineteen people in England who can play the mandolin; and I sincerely hope the number may not increase."

- George Bernard Shaw, Times of London, December 12, 1893