Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collings!

Play the Tope if you go back to Gruhn. If it's still there
    it will win out.
    j pickens

Hey guys, I live in the Scottish Borders and trying good mandolins here is incredibly difficult. I play a couple of Jimmy Moon A's and a brilliant Bouzouki he made for me last year. (Jimmy is a great guitar and mandolin family builder in Glasgow)

Today in Edinburgh I was amazed to see a Gibson F9 'masterbuilt, brand new on the wall of a retailer @ just under £3000 (pounds sterling) At todays exchange rate, thats almost $6000! The finish was very average, flat non gloss top, no binding a fingerboard that seemed slightly shrunk compared to the neck. It sounded pretty good with a bark like tone with slightly dull trebles compared to my Moon A's. A dear freind and probably one of our best mandolin pickers#here in Scotland had a Kentucky F that sounds ten times better!
    I tried a couple of Collings MT's at Mandolin brothers in Staten Island back in June, they were brilliant! And I want one (I should have bought one there and then) #or possibly a Mowry? Loud clear and beautifully put together, unlike the Gibson I saw today. My Moon 'A+' is three times the mandolin @ a third of the price. I find this very confusing? #
    I play a lot of guitar and Gibson seem to be lapsing back to the state they were in 10-15 years ago. Most Martin, Santa Cruz, Collings, even Taylors and Yamaha's are put together far better than most Gibsons we see over this side of the pond, In fact Santa Cruz and Collings are in a different class, all together. Do you keep all the good Gibson Mandolins and guitars on your side?
    Please, this is not an attack on Gibson in any way. I just cant understand the fiscal element & the serious amounts of cash involved v's the quality of instrument.

Kindest regards from Alister in the Scottish Borders]

I played a couple of the Collings at Gruhn a few weeks again. One of the A's with f-holes (sorry don't know the exact model) had an KILLER!! chop. It really was fantastic.
    Gary

I have #82 MT2 made in 2001. #It has just in the last 6 months opened up a lot... I guess it's a Red Spruce thing. It always sounded good but there was more in it.

Collings builds nice mandos, if they stopped making them today I would bet in a few years they would be at crazy prices. #When I got my Collings I was given the choice of a '91 Givens A-5 or this MT-2. #From a $$$ point of view I should have taken that Givens but I prefered the Collings. #I think the only reason Collings are still 'Cheap' is because they are still making them.

Hi Alister in the Scottish Borders.

I recently got a Collings MT from Trevor at TAMCO in Brighton for just over £1500. Easily the best mandolin in the shop in my opinion, including an F model Collings at twice the price.

It's pretty safe to order one without playing, I think, although I wouldn't normally advise that.
    Not difficult to get to Brighton, by the way. Only 40 mins from Gatwick by bus.

David A. Gordon

I think you can also find great mandolins from smaller luthiers. If you have to have a name brand any of these models mentioned in this thread are great but I got my gem from a local guy and after 1 year I've only played 1 that sounded as good or better and that was a Heiden owned by Emory Lester who was gracious enough to give me a lesson over Thanksgiving break.

From Alister in Scotland

I think you are quite correct. You guys seem to have so many great small builders available to you! I know some of the prices are incredibly high but the prices we see in Sterling on this side of the water are scandelous! Certainly for very average Gibsons for example.
    It makes these 'small builders' seem like incredible value for money.

I was very impressed with the Collings as brand new instruments at Mandolin Brothers, I felt that the tone with both style's would develop, but I have never tried a varnished model? Not just Collings, by anyone! Are they that special?

I do find Collings guitars have great tone, but are built very heavy, are the mandolins built in a similar style, would you say?

Regards, Alister

I'm very happy with my MT-1 (pre-MT model). I have not played many high-end mandolins, so I don't know how it stacks up to others. Dan

Take a look at the way Collings mandolins are made. Check out the fit and finish. They are perfect. Most I have ever picked up have wonderful clear tone with great bottom end. They are right up there with the best of the best . So for about $7200 for an MF5 you are getting one of the best mandolins in the world for a fraction of a Nuggett or a Gibson or a Gilchrist. They are the deal of deals. Also the MT-2 and MF are fantastic in every way. Nick
    ntriesch