Thread: Seldom scene

I've been listening to a live show from 94 and one from 95 lately, and I can't stop listening. I forgot what a fantastic line up of musicans this was. Duffey was always a huge mando hero to me going back to the Country Gentlemen. Mike Aldridge, Ben Eldride, John Starling....Harmonies to die for. It really doesn't get much better bg wise in my opinion. Just sharing my renewed enthusiasm.

russell
    Bulldog F #5

I could not agree more. The line-up from that era is the reason I got into bluegrass in the first place. Man, those guys could do it all and they were a joy to see every time. Duffey’s singing gives me the chills. Where do you find the live recordings?

There's a live show from 1973, Wash DC, right when Act II was being recorded. To me, this was the band in their prime.

Where do you find the live recordings?

I get most of my music from http://bt.etree.org/

Taper friendly site.
    Bulldog F #5

Last train from poor valley....what a classic! sing those high lonesome tenor parts polyester john!
    Bulldog F #5

When the SS went from the 'classic' line-up to replacing Starling with Phil Rosenthal, I thought they were going to lose a step. Not so. They still had a great lead vocalist, only now (then) they had a killer guitar player, too. The albums they did with Phil were equally as good as the earlier.

Admit to not keeping up with the later versions of the band, but Lou Reid (Pyrtle) is a force, no doubt.

This could be a contensious point, but, I think that after Bill Monroe, John Duffy may be the next most important BG musician.
    He introduced a whole new generation and demiographic to the music. First, of course with the Country Gentlemen, then the Scene.
    Both of which are among my total favourites. Such class, great arrangements, imagination.
    Alan; for what it's worth, one year we played Gettysburg, and I thought the Scene with Moondi Klein might be a dissapointment. Wrong, he was a better singer than the others, and they didn't miss a beat. That was my last look at Duffy. One of the greats.

John Duffy - "the consumate entertainer" - RIP Mr. Duffy.

He was a big guy. Photo from winter festival in the Catskills - In The Pines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duffy.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	19625  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

In 1981, the Scene were playing the Waterloo BG fest in NJ. This was the Phil Rosenthal version of the band. I had been playing a few years, and was scairt to go up and talk to Duffey. I had my A-40 with me (still have it), and very hesitantly approached John during a break and asked him to check it out. He put down his cup (hmmmm....) and grabbed it and said "Ah, a Gibson...how does she sound?" He banged on it, gave it back to me and "Nice."

"Bless your hearts, and all your vital organs"

Alan, as you may know I hung around with Duffey some and I also asked him to check out an A-50 that I had and told him I thought it need some work done on it and he played it and said don`t do a thing to it, it can`t get any better...John was a lot of things that some people didn`t like but I never once in 20 years ever heard him "badmouth" a mandolin that was somebody elses.....Willie

I sure miss seeing them at The Bircmere( The original one) in Alexandria, Va. John had a great way of taking care of hecklers in the audience. I believe the live album is titled
    "Live at The Cellar Door."
    John Duffey Rules " Bless Your Hearts and all Your Vital Organs"

I got to meet and hear the current version at the Boston Bluegrass Union's concert last Saturday night when our band, the Pine Hill Ramblers, opened for them. They dazzled the SRO audience with their patented breathtaking harmony and musicianship. Not to take anything away from the Duffy era, but I believe the current 'Scene' raises the bar.

The Scene is the best part time band on the planet. They're near the top of all bands, and always have been. The current line-up is the longest running of any they've had. Material, arrangements, and vocals are the best. They play very few songs that are done by other bluegrass bands. I get a kick out of seeing 2 bands come to a festival in a big bus and put on a show that's worse than my jam sessions in my basement. Then the Scene arrives at a festival in a few cars, gets on stage and BOOM, they just set the place on fire. They're in another league.

Registered User BluegrassPhilfromFrance's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by (AlanN @ Nov. 10 2006, 20:54)
    In 1981, the Scene were playing the Waterloo BG fest in NJ. This was the Phil Rosenthal version of the band. I had been playing a few years, and was scairt to go up and talk to Duffey. I had my A-40 with me (still have it), and very hesitantly approached John during a break and asked him to check it out. He put down his cup (hmmmm....) and grabbed it and said "Ah, a Gibson...how does she sound?" He banged on it, gave it back to me and "Nice."

"Bless your hearts, and all your vital organs"
    As we say in french : "Incroyable !" I was there too ! It was my second trip to the USA and I remember how great it was to see the Seldom Scene live on stage, although I've seen them for the 1st time at the Birchmere in Arlington,VA before they moved it to Alexandria. In my opinion, "Live at the Cellar Door" LP is one of the greatest bluegrass album recorded ever !
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

FYI...I was driving through Silver Spring Md. last week and saw a sign that said "Future Home Of The Birchmere"...Can any one add to that, when are they moving?
    as long as I knew John Duffey I never went to the Birchmere, old or new one....Willie

I just down loaded 2 shows from 1992...damn these guys were good! Here's the set lists:

the Seldom Scene
    Dahlonega Bluegrass Festival
    Blackburn Park
    Dahlonega, GA

6-26-92

Early Set:
    01. intro
    02. What Am I Doing Hanging Around?
    03. the Railroad Line
    04. I Have'nt Got The Right To Love You
    05. Walk Through This World Through Me
    06. Rippington Rag
    07. Working On a Building
    08. A Song For Life
    09. Georgia Rose
    10. Gotta Do My Time
    11. A House of Gold

Late Set:
    01. intro...Take Me In Your Life Boat
    02. Old Train
    03. Heaven
    04. Pick-Away
    05. Darling Corey
    06. Through the bottom of the Glass
    07. Keep Me From Blowing Away
    08. Long Black Veil
    09. instr
    10. The Fields Have Turned Brown
    11. Midnight Hour
    12. Another Lonesome Morning

the Seldom Scene w/ John Starling
    Dahlonega Bluegrass Festival
    Blackburn Park
    Dahlonega, GA

6-27-92

Early Set:
    01. intro
    02. This Morning At Nine
    03. Hobo on a Freight Train to Heaven
    04. Those Memories of You
    05. Lorine
    06. Mean Mother Blues
    07. He Rode All the Way To Texas
    08. Pan American
    09. banter
    10. the Small Exception of Me
    11. Sunrise
    12. Sing Me Back Home
    13. Will You Be Ready To Go Home?
    14. Train 45
    15. MC
    16. All Over Now Baby Blue

What a fantastic band! It doesn't get much better.

russell
    Bulldog F #5

They are opening a second Birchmere at that location in Silver Spring. Should save me some gas on all those trips to the other place. Actually, it's more than likely I'll just end up going twice as often to both. Best venue in the world in my humble opinion.
    Gordon

Forgive my enthusiasm, but listening to this for the 2nd go round now and am blown away. Man those harmonys!

russell
    Bulldog F #5