Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentle on my mind

Thirty plus years ago when I was discovering all this great music, I like most, considered this a Glenn Campbell tune. I knew that Hartford wrote it, and he appeared on the Glenn Campbell Show a number of times playing it, but it remained a Campbell tune. I always thought it was kind of corny. Then I heard HIS version of the tune and was totally blown away! I can't remember which album, but I know Sammy Bush played mando on this version. I think Roy Husky was on the bass.

Anyway I've been thinking of this tune tonight and started to work the chords out in my head. I hear it in C. I did a google for chords and it seems that the concencus is that it is in G. I don't have a recording to veryify, but I like it better in C. The chromatic run from the D minor down to the C sounds so dang good!

Anyone know what key this was originally written in? Doesn't really matter, as I'm just having a lot of fun playing it this way. What a great song!
    Bulldog F #5

When I used to play my guitar along with Glen while his program was on TV, I played it in "G."
    -Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

From JH, himself:
    Key of C
    (each /../ a measure)
    /C/Cmaj7/G6/C/
    /Dm/Dm/Dm/Dm/
    /Dm/Dm maj7/Dm7/G/
    /C/C/C/C/
    /G/Gmaj7/G6/G/
    /Am/Am/Am/Am/
    /Am/Am maj7/Am7/D/
    /G/G/G/G/

hope that helps.

on YouTube he sings it in G. Almost anyone could do it comfortably
    in the same key, one octave higher. Depends on the mood you're after.

There's the great version he did in the late 70's, with Hargus Robbins, Buddy Emmons and Sam Bush. That Bush break tattooed my ears.

Try this site....http://www.e-chords.com/cifra.asp?idMusica=46858
    We always did it in the key of G also. Actually only 3 chords with a little variation.

Jack
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood"

Both chord/change "versions" are OK - the "book'/published/"polished'...chord changes(C..,CM7...,Dm..etc..) is the better way -nice bass "drops" to accompany the "flow' - BUT, the more easier/less work (i.e. C..,Dm..etc..) will usually get the job done -'less ya' have a few "stickler/picky,,picky listeners. Either way...,a nice song. made several artists lots of royalty/sales $$$$. # # #

The version Alan mentioned is in "D" and extra good...

I think after John died, when people were writing about him, they revealed that "Gentle On My Mind" was the second most recorded song in popular music, second only to "Yesterday" if my senior mind remembers right. It was recorded by huge number of artists in all varieties of music, some extremely suprising. The royalties from this song allowed John to play whatever the hell he wanted. What a treat for all of us!!!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by (AlanN @ Nov. 11 2006, 07:27)
    There's the great version he did in the late 70's, with Hargus Robbins, Buddy Emmons and Sam Bush. That Bush break tattooed my ears.
    Yup! That's the one. That's the version I always hear in my head. I about wore that album out. I wish I still had all my old vynal.

russell
    Bulldog F #5

I used to love The Glen Cambell Show when I was akid a watch Hartford play the bango and sometimes his Roy Noblle guitar. When Glenn sang the song i did not care,when John played it ment alot to me.

Most banjo players these days tune to an open G (gDGBD). Hartford tuned his banjo low, but using the same intervals as an "open G" tuning. #So it is to some extent a semantic matter as to what "the original" key was. #

In any case, it's a great tune, with that lovely "maj/min 7th" (1-b3-5-7) chord in the secnd line.
    EdSherry

Quote Originally Posted by (Don Grieser @ Nov. 11 2006, 19:51)
    The royalties from this song allowed John to play whatever the hell he wanted. What a treat for all of us!!!
    Considering how many musicians, even relatively successful household names, have essentially nothing to show for lifetimes of brilliant songwriting and musicianship and lots of hard graft, it can be amazing just how much royalties one single much-covered song can generate. Another example is Ewan MacColl, who found himself in the same position as Hartford of being able to play and record whatever he wanted on the strength of the royalties for "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".

Martin

Where's the love for my boy Tom O'Brien? If you haven't checked out the version he did with Kathy Mattea on the Tribute to John Hartford: Live From Mountain Stage CD I suggest you do so. Definitely good stuff and and best of all he eliminates the banjo entirely!!! #

GVD
    GVD

Gentle on my mind was definetly a classic piece. #This thread brings back so many memories. #I thought I would share a few.
    John was as gentle and caring as any musician I ever met. #As a young man learning to play the fiddle, I was fortunate to spend time with John. #And you are correct, the song "Gentle" allowed John to do as he pleased in life.
    Traveling to fiddle contests, you never bought a meal with John. #Many did not agree that John should compete in the contests. #I have witnessed many times in which John endorsed his winners check and gave it back to the charity sponsoring the events. #
    John lived on the Cumberland River in a beautiful old yellow house, decorated as an old riverboat captians fortress. #His annual holiday jam sessions attracted the likes of Monroe, Scruggs, Benny Martin, Bush, etc.......
    As a guest, I was treated with the same respect as each of the above esteemed players.
    John provided several original fiddle tunes for the first cd I recorded. #When asked to play back up on the cd, the answer was - It would be an honor. #After recording, I ask John for costs of the session fee and royalites. #His reply, "When you reach a million in sales, let me know and we will discuss".
    I stopped at Hartford house to pick up some music one afternoon based on John's invite. #John had forgotten the news segment that was to be taped at his house that day. #It was an Aeroplane reunion featuring Tony Rice. #I was asked to come on in and be apart of the festivities, although I did manage to stay out of the camera.

Great guy he was that John Hartford.
    Forever rest in peace while the Cumberland River still whispers the music of her banks.

Wonderful memories

Mike Smartt

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to monroerules For This Useful Post:

GVD...That O'Brien/Mattea duet is my favorite version of GOMM. Their two voices really compliment each other and the sparse instrumentation is perfect. I also love Tim's solo.
    She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.

Default Re: Gentle on my mind

The Band Perry just released this song and they play it in C# on their cd.
    So I placed a capo on the 1st fret and played in C below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AyIKyQpers

C: x32010
    Cmaj7: x32000
    Am: .
    Dm: xx0231
    Dmmaj7:xx0221
    Dm7: xx0211
    G7: 320001

C Cmaj7
    It's knowing that your door is always
    Am Cmaj7 Dm Dmmaj7 Dm7 Dmmaj7
    open and your path is free to walk
    Dm Dmmaj
    that makes me tend to leave my sleeping
    Dm7 G7 C Cmaj7 C9 C
    bag rolled up and stashed behind your couch
    C Cmaj7 Am
    And it's knowing I'm not shackled by forg otten words and
    Cmaj7 C Cmaj7 Dm Dmmaj7 Dm7 Dmmaj7
    bonds and the ink stains that have dried upon some line
    Dm Dmmaj7
    That k eeps you in the backroads by the
    Dm7 G7 Dm
    rivers of my mem'ry, that keeps you ever
    G7 C Cmaj7 C9 C
    gentle on my mind

It's not clinging to the rocks and ivy
    Planted on their columns now that bind me
    Or something that somebody said
    Because they think we fit together walkin'.
    It's just knowing that the world will not be cursing or
    Forgiving, when I walk along some railroad track and find
    That you're moving on the backroads by the
    Rivers of my mem'ry, and for hours you're just
    Gentle on my mind

Though the wheat fields and the clothes lines and the
    Junkyards and the highways come between us,
    And some other woman crying to her
    Mother, 'cause she turned and I was gone.
    I still might run in silence, tears of joy might stain my
    Face, and the summer sun might burn be 'till I'm blind,
    But not to where I cannot see you
    Walkin' on the backroads, by the rivers flowing
    Gentle on my mind

I dip my cup of soup back from the
    Gurglin', cracklin' cauldron in some trainyard;
    My beard a roughning coal pile and a
    Dirty had pulled low across my face.
    Through cupped hands 'round a tin can I
    Pretend I hold you to my breast and find
    That you're waving from the backroads by the
    Rivers of my memory, ever smilin' ever
    Gentle on my mind.

FL_Bob2002@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by bush-man View Post
    Thirty plus years ago when I was discovering all this great music, I like most, considered this a Glenn Campbell tune. I knew that Hartford wrote it, and he appeared on the Glenn Campbell Show a number of times playing it, but it remained a Campbell tune. I always thought it was kind of corny. Then I heard HIS version of the tune and was totally blown away! I can't remember which album, but I know Sammy Bush played mando on this version. I think Roy Husky was on the bass.

Anyway I've been thinking of this tune tonight and started to work the chords out in my head. I hear it in C. I did a google for chords and it seems that the concencus is that it is in G. I don't have a recording to veryify, but I like it better in C. The chromatic run from the D minor down to the C sounds so dang good!

Anyone know what key this was originally written in? Doesn't really matter, as I'm just having a lot of fun playing it this way. What a great song!
    I put an arrangement on this page with the Band Perry singing it in C with capo on the first fret.

Here's a recent cover by John Mainlander and his band from a new release called Walking Distance. Joe Walsh covers mando duties. The entire album is fantastic. FYI - I think they do it in A, with Molly on guitar capo'd on the second fret.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

I guess these women vocalists are singing this song from a man's perspective--Like Linda Ronstadt's version of "Willin'."

My acoustic band used to play this song, and it is deceptively difficult to play with the right feel/tempo.

I love this song!

When I'm looking for the original key of a song I go to Musicnotes.com.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monroerules View Post
    Gentle on my mind was definetly a classic piece. #This thread brings back so many memories. #I thought I would share a few.
    John was as gentle and caring as any musician I ever met. #As a young man learning to play the fiddle, I was fortunate to spend time with John. #And you are correct, the song "Gentle" allowed John to do as he pleased in life.
    Traveling to fiddle contests, you never bought a meal with John. #Many did not agree that John should compete in the contests. #I have witnessed many times in which John endorsed his winners check and gave it back to the charity sponsoring the events. #
    John lived on the Cumberland River in a beautiful old yellow house, decorated as an old riverboat captians fortress. #His annual holiday jam sessions attracted the likes of Monroe, Scruggs, Benny Martin, Bush, etc.......
    As a guest, I was treated with the same respect as each of the above esteemed players.
    John provided several original fiddle tunes for the first cd I recorded. #When asked to play back up on the cd, the answer was - It would be an honor. #After recording, I ask John for costs of the session fee and royalites. #His reply, "When you reach a million in sales, let me know and we will discuss".
    I stopped at Hartford house to pick up some music one afternoon based on John's invite. #John had forgotten the news segment that was to be taped at his house that day. #It was an Aeroplane reunion featuring Tony Rice. #I was asked to come on in and be apart of the festivities, although I did manage to stay out of the camera.

Great guy he was that John Hartford.
    Forever rest in peace while the Cumberland River still whispers the music of her banks.

Wonderful memories

Mike Smartt
    Great story and great memories! Here is John with Glen.

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

For the archives, Hartford played the song using C positions in G tuning, tuned down a step and a half, so the banjo is tuned to E, resulting in the key of A. Confusing, I know...

--Tom

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Great story and great memories! Here is John with Glen.
    In the key of C.
    Most other versions I've heard have Glen or John singing in D or there'bouts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZHIoaapmE

Although, one of the later versions after John got very sick, has him doing it in A. Guess his voice was changing due to illness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pdzFaGg-4M
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

For guitar players, here is a great version by Tim O'Brien where you can pretty clearly see how he plays it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2YidKRYuB4

Alan
    acinva