Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: New Millennium Acoustic Design (NewMAD)

Hey Peter... as long as you're working with carbon fiber how about doing all of us a favor (and hopefully yourself too) by creating a line of well-designed, carbon fiber cases. Any thoughts?

Beware the Niggle-Snark, my son...

Very, very well executed... and lovely, lively sound. Cudos, Peter and team!

But... there are two things that bother me on a strictly visual (and mostly visceral) basis. The Lesser Niggle: I think the headstock would look better if it were plainer. It seems very busy compared to the rest of it; perhaps a finer weave would minimize it? In all honesty, if it were mine, I'd add a piece of ebony with a delicate binding.

OTOH, The Greater Niggle has to do with the logo; I stared at its picture for a long time, and couldn't make sense of it at all. Only by reading the copy on the home page did I understand it says "Mix", not "Miss" or "Mi96." In my overly educated visual arts and merchandising opinion, puzzles like that don't make happy potential customers; they'll look and look, not get it, and end up with an uneasy and unidentifiable feeling. Not what you want potential customers to feel until after they've written the check. Maybe I'm just especially dense today? but I believe that it's best to be utterly unambiguous or completely abstract where logotypes are concerned.

While I'm a on typographical nigglefest, I'd like to point out the kerning between the M and the I is off; it would be a good spot for a ligature if you keep that font (and can find an appropriately simple X.)

I'm not trying to imply by either comment that those issues spoil its visuals to any significant degree; far from it. What I see and hear make me hungry! But I do feel that a little finessing in those areas would add just that last little bit of polish, especially the logo; at this point in the company's life image is something.

And yes, I'd be happy to help tweak it if desired.

Blog Entries

I had the chance to play #3 at SuperGrass this weekend...

If #3 can be taken as an example of the quality of NewMAD's output, Peter is spearheading the creation of some fine instruments. The mandolin has a surprisingly warm sweet sound and a lot of chop. It responded well to both melody playing and chording, chopping and strumming. It's quite loud. Held its own in the Buffalo Brothers room amongst all of the hubub and guitar picking.

I liked the feel of the unfinished carbon fiber that I could touch with my little finger through one of the F holes. It's cool stuff. Wondering if there'll be a French polish option. Or maybe a completely unfinished option?

If you get a chance to play one of these you should jump on it!

I'll be interested to watch Peter & Co. work out the details of creating a Loar inspired F style carbon fiber mandolin, and then twice as interested to play it.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by (DNestler @ Feb. 05 2007, 23:26)
    I had the chance to play #3 at SuperGrass this weekend...

If #3 can be taken as an example of the quality of NewMAD's output, Peter is spearheading the creation of some fine instruments. The mandolin has a surprisingly warm sweet sound and a lot of chop. It responded well to both melody playing and chording, chopping and strumming. It's quite loud. Held its own in the Buffalo Brothers room amongst all of the hubub and guitar picking.

I liked the feel of the unfinished carbon fiber that I could touch with my little finger through one of the F holes. It's cool stuff. Wondering if there'll be a French polish option. Or maybe a completely unfinished option?

If you get a chance to play one of these you should jump on it!

I'll be interested to watch Peter & Co. work out the details of creating a Loar inspired F style carbon fiber mandolin, and then twice as interested to play it.

Daniel
    I am SO jealous!

If Rainsong's published schedule is any indication, the resin used to laminate isn't very UV resistant. For an indoors only axe, that would probably be ok, but it needs some kind of sunblock, I think.

Hmmm: I know there are lots of naked carbon fiber slope racers around, and I don't think I ever saw one go chalky... so I could be wrong. :b~~~

We've already changed the font for the logo for the very reason you mentioned, Erik. It looked good on paper, but it just didn't translate well. As far as the headstock is concerned, I love how it looks, but if a customer wanted an ebony overlay, it's easily done.
    # #Carbon fiber cases are very appealing. I saw a line of cf guitar cases at NAMM that were gorgeous, but at $1100 apiece, I don't know how big the market will be. If cf mandolin cases can be built at a moderate price point, they'll be well received.
    # #Strap buttons will be installed on the Mix A4 and A5. I put one on #1, but never got around to installing them on #2 and #3. I was just too excited to play them to stop and install strap buttons.
    # # #Yes, carbon fiber needs UV protection, so it cannot be left unfinished. We're going to start on the F5 in a couple of weeks and I can hardly wait! Some lines may need to be softened a bit as cf doesn't really like tight curves and sharp points, but I know we can build a gorgeous and great-sounding F5. Stay tuned!
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # cheers, Peter

Peter Mix
    Carbon Fiber & Kevlar Mandolins
    Based On Lloyd Loar's Designs
    Waterville, VT 05492