Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Millennium Acoustic Design (NewMAD)

More answers to pertinent questions: yes, OM's, mandolas and more are in our plans. A left-handed version of the Mix A5 will be available almost immediately once production begins.
    cheers, Peter
    Peter Mix
    Carbon Fiber & Kevlar Mandolins
    Based On Lloyd Loar's Designs
    Waterville, VT 05492

Blog Entries

I imagine this is kind of like watching the building of a Ferrari prototype. For me, it's way out of reality to consider owning one, but it's incredibly fascinating to watch and fantasize about possibilities.

-Phil

Peter:

Are ther future plans to build an F style? I know you are in the early startup stages but have you discussed building an F style eventially? Would there be any problems with the scroll on a composite mandolin?

Thanks, Hal
    1991 Flatiron Festival
    2010 Morgan Monroe MDM 2
    1997 Martin D-35
    2012 Taylor 410CE LTD
    1977 Fender F-65

Hi Hal,
    When I first began to explore carbon fiber mandolin-building, F5's were where I wanted to start. I quickly learned that we have to begin with a less complicated body geometry in order to surmount a host of construction challenges before we can begin the F5, but we're well on the way. Some of what we've developed for the A5 will make the F5 possible, though the big challenges are the scrolls and the points.

My hope is to raise the capital to develop the F5 once we've proved the A5. This is a very costly undertaking and the F5 will be even more so, but no one said it would be easy or inexpensive. I firmly believe that we'll produce great instruments in the process.
    cheers, Peter
    Peter Mix
    Waterville, VT 05492

Thanks Peter...That is sort of what I figured (scroll and point problems). Still...the A style will be great! Can't wait to read the reviews. I'm already starting to save up...

good luck...Hal
    1991 Flatiron Festival
    2010 Morgan Monroe MDM 2
    1997 Martin D-35
    2012 Taylor 410CE LTD
    1977 Fender F-65

The top rim would be a bit wider than the back one , wouldn't It?#
    mould release shape seems to favor Cones, even ever so slightly, over Cylanders in getting parts out of layup molds ,as I found in Fibreglass & metal [sand] casting, at least.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Very Cool! Thanks Scott, Will, and Peter for sharing the information, and best of luck on your new business venture.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

We've gone to a great deal of trouble and expense to design an A5 that looks and feels like a great A5 and is not merely a translation.
    # I'll hope to post more photos soon....
    # # # # # # # # # # # #cheers, Peter

Peter Mix
    Waterville, VT 05492

Quote Originally Posted by (Peter Mix @ Nov. 19 2006, 09:52)
    The instrument will be called the Mix A5.
    Bummer. I was hoping for MAD (for Millenium Acoustic Design).

Best of luck!
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Peter,
    Are these going to be vacum formed from pre-impregnated sheets or layed up as individual layers? I am guessing based on the model that you will be using a female mould. Will the top be bound?

Andrew

Blog Entries

Does the carbon fiber technology allow you to make the material with custom properties? Can you, for example, adjust the vibratory modes of the top by placement of the fiber, so as to emphasize a certain sound?

It is a brave new world.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by
    "It is a brave new world. "
    Guess I better learn to flip burgers....

hahahahaha! great line Bruce! I highly doubt it tho...wood has lots of desirable qualities too, and my underwater mando needs are minor...for now...???
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

I have a sneaking suspicion that my email replies are not getting to the folks who've contacted me about the A5 and I'd hate to have anyone think I'm ignoring them. If you emailed me directly and didn't receive a reply, please call me if you'd like at 802-644-5607. We recently installed satelite internet access and it's not quite all that it's cracked up to be. We receive email, but no one seems to receive our replies...
    #The prototype is due within a couple of weeks and will then go through some close scrutiny to see if we have produced what we are aiming for. We may need to make minor modifications and build a couple of additional prototypes, but production will begin as soon as we've dialed in the voice by way of the bracing and sound-holes. We should be able to deliver the first instruments in January 07 and there still a few available in the first run.
    # If you'd like to reserve a spot on the list, all we need is a modest refundable deposit. Just call me at the number above. This is an instrument whose time has come!
    Peter Mix
    Waterville, VT 05492

Will there be any attempt to make it look like wood?

If not, what sort of appearnce and finish will it have?

Ron

My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Carbon fiber can be finished much as maple and spruce can be with sunbursts and solid colors. I think carbon fiber is so lovely on its own that we'll begin by offering clear finishes initially and adding options fairly quickly. I'm working with the same finish wizard, Larry Sweeney, who created all of Rigel's finishes in the past 5 years, so you know they're going to look wonderful.
    Peter Mix
    Waterville, VT 05492

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

Only problem is, Maccaferri beat you to the punch fifty some years ago! Just kidding, I know polystyrene is a long way from carbon fiber, though it does make a hell of a bowling ball.

Peter, you are to be commended and encouraged for this brave new venture.

Personally, I like the look of raw carbon fiber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maccaferri_Front.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	19868  

I think it's going to be more like the modern graphite flyrods, of which I'm a huge fan. I'm sure a lot of work that can't even be talked about has gone into the acoustics. Will the builders of wood instruments now become the equivalent of bamboo flyrod makers? I doubt that, but I am looking forward to the first models being available.

I play a Composite Acoustics and had the pleasure of a factory tour last Monday. I am not unfamilier with carbon layups but I did find the process of turning a plastic with a few pieces of ugly fabric, into a supurb sounding guitar.

They had a 5 year learning curve. I returned a guitar I had recently purchased due to some minor imperfections in the layup, for one that was perfect. They commented that they have leand a lot even in the few months since my former guitar was made.

CA spends a vast amount of time finishing the instruments (sanding, filling, spraying and polishing. I was told that if they could elimate all that work, they could halve the price.

The beauty of carbon is that it can really open up possibilities since it doesn't require bracing and doesn't move.

I tuned my guitar in Lafayette, LA and took it out of the case for a session last night in San Jose, and it was still in tune. It rode in a car from Lafayette to Las Cruces, NM then to El Paso and gate checked to Houston , then to San Jose.

Good luck with this project!
    Bob

Peter Mix, you bringing some of these to NAMM? Hope to see you there. Come by the Luthier's Consortium and pick some.

I bought one of those dandy little Maccaferri guitars when MandoBros first unearthed them 30 years ago and loved it. It was a big inspiration in its way.
    NewMAD's Mix A5 is all carbon fiber except for the ebony bridge and fingerboard. It's arched top requires bracing very much like a carved mandolin.
    Michael, I will be at NAMM with a couple of mandolins at the Schertler booth, #1412. It'll be a pleasure to see you.
    Peter Mix
    Waterville, VT 05492

Just want to wish you the best of luck with this new project Peter, it is very exciting stuff! We just may be looking at the future of mandolin making!

Thanks, Ward! You're very kind. I don't expect carbon fiber instruments to ever replace great carved-wood instruments, but it is a great thing that alternative materials are available for those times when you don't want to risk an irreplaceable instrument when traveling or performing.

My email problems seem to have been solved, so feel free to email me at info@new-mad.com
    # # # # # # # # # # #cheers, Peter

Peter Mix
    Waterville, VT 05492

Having been involved in carbon fiber instrument parts making for thirty years now (I got the first patent on hollow graphite necks), I can tell you that there's a lot to specific fiber directional layup as well as with what exact formulae you use for the matrix. Graphite composites are like wood that you can design yourself.

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Peter Mix @ Nov. 21 2006, 09:03)
    I bought one of those dandy little Maccaferri guitars when MandoBros first unearthed them 30 years ago and loved it. It was a big inspiration in its way.
    Yeah, they are cool from an engineering perspective. I was especially impressed with the peghead enclosed gearing for the banjo styled tuners and the way you can raise or lower the action without it going out of tune.

Again, all the best of luck in your venture.