Thread: Fell in love with the gibson a9

In my quest to finally get myself a Gibson mandolin, after the chance of winning a Flatiron ended up with me being outbid by 5$ , I started looking at the A9.

I found out the earlier incarnation of this mandolin usually gets sold for 900-1000$. I like it's minimalistic look, and the colour reminds me of my Violin.

The question is: with 800$ I can get a Gibson A40 or A50 in almost mint condition on eBay. Which one is better?

Before telling me "it depends what kind of tone you're looking for", I am talking mainly about the quality of the craftsmanship. The sound I am looking for is not necessarily a Bluegrass tone, but something more versatile.

Oh, and by the way...Do you know of any shop selling an A9 I can pay with a credit card?

From what I know (limited experience), A40ies and A50ies can be a gamble- some are great (allthough some of the great ones have been modified) some are not. Craftmenship will vary, but will not be unacceptable. The A9 will be a fine mando, closer to the Loar sound. Craftmanship will be decent to very good, little cosmetic flaws will be possible. While most people associate that sound with Bluegrass, it was invented with classical music in mind and does sound great in that setting too, imo. If you want something with less midrange emphasis and a more bell-like tone, you might consider an entry grade collings or Rigel A+ if you can get one. If you buy unseen, I would only buy a vintage Gibson from a reputable dealer only. Actually I called 2 board sponsors at times about different instruments and they told me straight away that the instrument will not be what I have been looking for. Great business ethics, not to be expected on EBay, for sure.
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

So I'll probably stay with the idea of getting a Gibson A9. Unfortunately, I don't know of any used one on sale within the $1000 range, from a reputable seller accepting credit cards

If you can point me to someone, it would be much appreciated.

I found a shop in Germany who sells one new, but for "just" for 2400 EUR ( ~ 3200$ ). At this point, I buy it new from the States. I heard the street price for a new one is around 1600$, am I wrong?

Check out The Mandolin Store, a Cafe Sponsor, I've noticed that Dennis usually has a steady flow of them coming in. None right now but there is a Flatiron A for $1,199.00.

Loren

Also, you can set up a PayPal account to draw off your credit card. You may want to offer to pay the fee PayPal charges when you buy something.

The asking price is not necessarilly "written in stone"

Curt

Curt, you mean the Mandolin Store's asking price usually can be slightly retouched?

I guess I don't need Paypal, I see they accept credit cards straight away, that's fine enough to cut the middle man, I suppose. I am a Paypal member anyway.

The Flatiron looks very nice, I wonder what are the differences between that Flatiron and a Gibson, same model.

go with a-9. you will probably find neck of a-50/a-40 restrictive if you like the flatty or a-9
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

and the neck will feel short if you play in B or C in the high position with an A40-50 you'll have a handful of mandolin body to deal with. I've played some less than spectacular F9s tho I like them too. But I think of A 40s as being a little stiff sounding.

Hey Riccardo,
    Being an owner of an A9, I can tell you to jump on one when you can. If you get a chance, play one and you'll love it. I've had mine for a year, but it was built in 2002. It's one of the early ones. It has the satin brown finish and honestly, it is VERY loud and punchy! I have a "Doyle Lawson" Gibson and the A9 is louder. It doesn't have the deep bass like the "Lawson" but it is overall an incredible sounding mando. I put the "Sam Bush" strings on it and it outdoes itself everytime I open the case. You will not be disappointed when you find one! Good luck!
    Molon Labe

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by (Riccardo @ Dec. 13 2006, 14:03)
    The Flatiron looks very nice, I wonder what are the differences between that Flatiron and a Gibson, same model.
    If the Flatiron is made in Montana it has a mortise mounted neck, Nashville used dovetail necks. Big Joe has mentioned that many Flatirons will need their necks reset in time.

You can also make a purchase directly from Gibson with your credit card. Big Joe mentioned that they have more used mandos in than usual.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Buy an A-9. I've had my F-9 for two years, and it sounded great from the start. It's probably a bit louder now though. You might check on Ebay: many people use Paypal there.
    --Prof PT

Don't hate me because I know how to spell and punctuate!

lifetime warrentee to first owner.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have a buddy that has a great playing and sounding a-9 that I would be proud to play anywhere.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Greenmando @ Dec. 13 2006, 21:50)
    Big Joe has mentioned that many Flatirons will need their necks reset in time.
    And Bruce Weber told BigJoe to go pound sand (or something close). It happened right here at the Cafe. It only makes sense for Gibson to say that their methods are better than those used by others. It also makes sense for Weber (shop forman at Flatiron/Gibson Montana) to support the use of the M&T neck joint. The fact of the matter is my Flatiron is no where close to needing a neck set (it's 26 years old) and it's a great mandolin. For somebody looking to get a great bang for their buck, I'd never downsell a Flatiron. If he was looking to pay in the upper reaches, then sure, a dovetail neck joint may be more traditional.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

The asking price is not necessarilly "written in stone"
    Curt, you mean the Mandolin Store's asking price usually can be slightly retouched?

Riccardo, My comment was not meant to apply to any particular vendor. Furthermore, if you are at all concerned about price
    a credit card is the worst way to purchase anything unless you pay in full at the next billing cycle. And then there are time
    when cash is more attractive to the seller and will get you the best price. Nearly everything is negotiable. It's in the Bible!

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by (Greenmando @ Dec. 13 2006, 21:50)
    Quote Originally Posted by (Riccardo @ Dec. 13 2006, 14:03)
    If the Flatiron is made in Montana it has a mortise mounted neck, Nashville used dovetail necks. Big Joe has mentioned that many Flatirons will need their necks reset in time.

You can also make a purchase directly from Gibson with your credit card. Big Joe mentioned that they have more used mandos in than usual.
    I had no clue this were possible. Do they have an homepage or should I make them a phone call? And if so, which number?

That Flatiron A at the Mandolin Store is a Nashville, Gibson made model, unless I miss my guess. That means it's the same specs as an A5G, which I would rather have than an A9. It's not much more than a used A9, and it's got fretboard dots and some fancier trim. Flatirons are usually a pretty safe bet. Plus, no Corian nut. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Yes, when the Flatiron (and Gibson) production moved from Montana to Nashville they both were changed over to the conventional dovetail neck joint.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Hey Riccardo, play what ever you can get your hands on and thats in your price range. If you love the A9 then it is worth your money. Don't pay for something you don't like the sound and looks of. That is why there are so many mandolin makers out the everyone likes something different. I really love the F9, I think the one I've played has the best tone and looks of any suped up Gil of Diss. Gibson. I love it and to me its worth the money, to some one else it ain't worth a dime.
    Good luck with what ever you find.
    "Just pick it son"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by (Riccardo @ Dec. 14 2006, 06:23)
    I had no clue this were possible. Do they have an homepage or should I make them a phone call? And if so, which number?
    Opry Mills Gibson

The Gibson Showcase

161 Opry Mills Drive
    Nashville, TN 37214 U.S.A.

I would ask for Big Joe Vest.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Quote Originally Posted by (Greenmando @ Dec. 17 2006, 02:00)
    Quote Originally Posted by (Riccardo @ Dec. 14 2006, 06:23)
    Opry Mills Gibson

The Gibson Showcase

161 Opry Mills Drive
    Nashville, TN 37214 U.S.A.

I would ask for Big Joe Vest.
    Thanks for all the informations. It might be useful for the next instrument I'll buy.

I already bought the Gibson A9 from the MandolinStore. To paraphrase the Godfather's words, Dennis made me an offer I couldn't refuse

I am waiting to receive it... Let's see how USPS + Poste Italiane works - crossing my fingers!

Thanks to all of you guys for the feedback on the A9. I already loved it, but your positive comments gave me the final green light to get one.

You can't go wrong when dealing with Dennis. He's a top-notch kinda guy.
    I'll be interested to hear your review of your new mando!

Loren

Quote Originally Posted by (Loren Bailey @ Dec. 17 2006, 10:36)
    You can't go wrong when dealing with Dennis. #He's a top-notch kinda guy.
    I'll be interested to hear your review of your new mando!

Loren
    Oh, absolutely. I will write a review on the instrument no doubt. I am very excited and can't stand the wait to receive it. Dealing with Dennis has been very pleaseant. He and Kathy have been very supportive. My only worry, at this point, is what will happen once the Mandolin arrives in Italy, and what will happen at the customs...I have had stuff delayed up to 20 days before. You never know what goes in the officers' mind. Very aleatory and unpredictable.

I very am curious about the sound of the A9, because here you don't get the chance to play a Bluegrass mandolin often.

I played many Epiphones, but, I dunno, they looked so cheap and sounded so stiff...I don't think a Korean mandolin was supposed to be any good, anyway.

So my review probably will be mostly a comparison between the Gibson and the sound of our Neapolitan instruments, which I know better.

I don't know about USA, but the Mandolin here, in the so called land of "Pizza e Mandolino" has almost disappeared. It's often treated simply as a souvenir to stick on the wall. Nobody has interest in playing it. I believe there are more Violists than Mandolinists around, and you know very few already want to pick up the Viola

I play Violin and Viola too, btw. And one thing I like about Gibson's mandolin is they seem conceptually closer to the Violin than to the Neapolitan mandolin. Like Orville himself, I never really liked "Potato Bugs"