Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asheville, nc jack of the wood

The Shindig is a real mix. There is a stage show, with many different acts performing. It is definitely
    NOT just an open mic. It is pretty regulated.
    However, there is a huge amount of music being played all around the place and that is find a group and maybe jump in.

It's a freefall jam but to get up to the stage you better be pretty darn good for an invite. Check their calendar as it is not every Sat. in the summer but most up until Labor Day Sat. on Sept. 1.

The Shindig has a stage with scheduled performers, but there is impromptu jamming everywhere and always has been! Actually, you'll hear the better music walking around listening to the impromptu groups!!
    Molon Labe

The jam at Jack of the Woods is probably the best source in the area to have a good time playing and meet the community of pickers in Asheville. You also stand a good chance of seeing one of your favorite bluegrass heros passing through town and stopping in to play with the locals.

Not only are the music and people very welcoming, but everyone seems to forget my favorite added bonus: free beer from their fine selection of locally crafted microbrews for anyone who joins the jam!

I'll see you there Thursday night!
    __
    james condino
    www.condino.com

Quote Originally Posted by (james condino @ May 01 2007, 17:27)
    free beer
    Look what I been missing!

Alan you should drop by this Thursday to join me an Evan on stage. I know you got what it takes to keep up with these guys and hey free beer what more could you ask for.
    I'll drive you home if you too wasted!

Free Beer!
    And it ain't Bud or PBR stuff!
    Seriously good beers available there.
    And their menu isn't too shabby either.
    Tommy, now, you told me I'd have to walk down the mountain if I got tipsy!

Quote Originally Posted by (f5loar @ May 01 2007, 18:20)
    Alan you should drop by this Thursday to join me an Evan on stage. I know you got what it takes to keep up with these guys and hey free beer what more could you ask for.
    I'll drive you home if you too wasted!
    You know I'd love to Tom. And the offer for a ride home to Chapel Hill, well, I might just have to!

Evan and Alan: The ride is to MY home for a pallet on the floor! You're on your own after you sober up!

Hey guys!
    Just moved to Asheville myself about three months ago from SoCal. What a lovely place. Haven't played in the area yet, but will once touring slows down a bit. Hasn't spring been wonderful so far? Hope to seeya around!
    ash

www.ashleybroder.com

hey ashley!
    welcome to town- i've lived here a while, but grew up in san diego. checked out your site- we'll listen for you when you're playing about town. what's your main axe these days?

Look for Evan and me to be back at Miss Hyatts this Thursday in Asheville and then on to the big jam at Jack of the Woods in downtown Asheville.
    And then look for us at the Old Fort Pickin' Parlor on Friday night around 7PM.

Hi Paul! Thanks for the welcome...Lovin it out here. Such a great city. We've just settled on June 8th at the Asheville Arts Center on Merrimon for a concert. First time playin in Asheville!
    Playin a Flatiron nowadays. What do you play?

Have to try and make it out to listen-in in June. Also look forward to bumping into some of you other folks out and about. I've got a long-neck oval hole a-style that i put together from a stew-mac kit. She's a little rough, but she's mine. All the best!

Blog Entries

I can't wait to finally move to Asheville. I play with an Irish group up in WV and attend festivals and jams when possible, but am itching to get something started down there. 6.5 more months!!!
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

All I can say is ... me too.

Confession: Part of me feels bad about moving into such a beautiful area, and contributing to its current rapid growth. I grew up in California, and have seen farmland here disappear decade after decade, replaced by developed community after community.

I also knew that if I didn't act now, I might never have a chance to live there. Somehow I "excuse" the intrusion through my love of the area, its music, and my choice to buy something small, rural, and undeveloped ... and to keep it that way in the years to come.

Once my wife and I make it there for good, our porch will be open for picking. Man! I can't wait. I dreamt about it last night.

I am planning to vist this weekend. Anything good happening?

The wife and I come to the area several times a year from north Georgia. Gotta see Biltmore. Their site says that they have old time music now for the flower fest., or something like that.
    Thank you very much. God bless.

Blog Entries

Hey Beningus...when are you moving down? I play guitar too, so if you want to jam some time we don't have to do a mandolin duet, although that could be fun. I mainly only know irish tunes but I can chord along with anything really.
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

ralian,
    I'll let you know ... I sure wish I knew! We've got property here needs to sell first, but our market is sluggish (at best).

I play guitar, too and my wife plays banjo and sings wonderfully. We hope that music will be our best avenue for making friends once we land. I'll let everyone know, and maybe we can a housewarming pickin' party.

I'm actually looking forward to the trek across country! I've only ever flown across. Time to see America in slow motion.

Benignus:
    I think Western NC (WNC) is one of the fastest-developing regions of the country right now. If you wait too long, you will not find that "...small, rural undeveloped...." spot.
    Actually, it is still pretty rural in lots of places just over the city lines. But, development is like a fever around here.

Mandolin 123: check the Mountain Express for stuff to do. This weekend is the big Lake Eden Arts Festival with all types of music and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by
    If you wait too long, you will not find that "...small, rural undeveloped...." spot.
    Evan, I know exactly what you're saying. that's why I didn't hesitate. I found that special place, and have bought it already. It was hiding behind some really lousy MLS photos. I almost didn't even take a look, but once we were there in person ... we made an offer. It took months and months to close, but it's ours now. The house is small. The plot is large, but hilly. Not a farm, but a great home garden surrounded by wild.

It's perfect for us. This boulder is out back, and there are two others higher up on the ridge that are larger still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i_now_own_this_rock.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	23409  

the LEAF looks cool
    Thank you very much. God bless.

Yeah. I went to LEAF a couple of years ago. Not much Bluegrass, but I found some folk/rock jams. I went to my first contra dance, and saw King Wilke perform.

Downside: The constant sound of hippie drum circles floating through the air.

Well, I've lived all around the country, and don't fault those who search and settle where they love. In fact, what are the chances that you were born in your perfect place? Benignus, where's your new place? We've been in Mars Hill for a few years, are now selling and moving closer to town. We'll be at LEAF this weekend, and never really minded hippie drums anyway. All the best!

Small world ... I'm in Mars Hill.