Thread: Curly lambert

hi,
    i just got a bunch of recordings off some old reel to reels of the Stanley Bros. in the mid 50's and on some of them they have a mandolin picker by the name of curly lambert, they also call him chubby lambert, i have heard of peewee lambert, is this the same guy or is it not? does anyone have any info on this guy? he plays some real nice mandolin for sure.

a side note:
    im looking for buzz buzby live recordings, i have bill monroe, jimmy martin, stanley brothers and some other random rare stuff available for trade.
    thanks!
    john

2 different Lamberts that I don't think are related. Them Lamberts have long been pickin' fools. I've got a few of them in my neck of the woods.

Apparently two different guys. Darrell "Pee Wee" Lambert was the Stanley Brothers' first mandolin player, starting in the '40's when they hired him from Roy Sykes' Blue Ridge Mountain Boys. (Sykes said of Pee Wee, "He was a duplicate of Monroe," -- Neil Rosenberg, Bluegrass; A History, p. 80.) He played on their early-'50's Mercury recordings.

Curly Lambert (don't have his real name) also worked with the Stanleys, but in the late '50's and '60's, when they recorded for Starday/King. He and Bill Napier did a lot of their mandolin work.

Two mandolinists, both named Lambert, working with the Stanley Brothers. Coincidence...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: Curly lambert

It is my understanding that Curly Lambert lived in a small Va town called Brodnax,which is a few miles from me .Theres quite a few Lamberts in the area and I was taught by some and went to school with some and theres one that lives a couple miles down the road from me. Next time I see him I am going to ask if he knows Curly or if he would ask around in the family about him.Ralph said Curly got burned out in the early 60s and sold his mandolin and went to work in a mental Hospital in Richmond Va be fore coming back to him again.Brodnax is on Highway 58 in Brunswick County Va. Hope this helps some.

John, I know this won`t do much good but, I was good friend of Buzz Busby, he taught me quite a bit on the mandolin, sadly I don`t play that style anymore, anyway just about two weeks ago I erased two 90 min cassette tapes of buzz that was recorded live, I had listened to them hundreds of times and got to the point where I didn`t think I would need them anymore....I guess I could say you were a day short and a dollar late, I would have sent them to you no charge....I will try to conmtact some friends that might have a copy of those tapes also and if they do I`ll try and get them and re-record them for you or burn thme onto CD`s if you like, I won`t promise anything but I do what I can....email me at willpoole@comcast.net and I will explain more about this for you....Willie

John, you can go on the internet and type in Buzz Busby and down load some of Buzz`s recordings, probably won`t be live sessions, but one never knows....

Willie

Two different players for sure, and two of my very favorites.

Curly's real name was Richard Lambert.
    I never heard any of the Staney boys calling him "Chubby Lambert", although they used to have a fiddler by the name of Don "Chubby" Anthony...here's both playing together with the Stanleys.

In the early 60s, Curly used to play a very deep-sounding, early 30s F2 mandolin he had removed the original varnish from..."Scraped with a knife and sandpapered", according to Carter Stanley.

Other than playing with the Stanleys, Lambert was also part of the Flatt & Scruggs outfit for a brief stint, recording with them on a couple of sessions in 1959 (he was the one singing tenor on the original cut of Cryin' My Heart Out Over You and Who Knows Right from Wrong). Finally, he recorded some LPs with the great Charlie Moore, again playing mandolin.

His Old Homestead release, "Blue Grass Evergreens", long out of print, is one of my favorite mandolin albums...he's backed by the Goins Brothers on that one.

P.S. I might be able to help you out with those Busby live shows...drop me a line!
    Matt.
    Matt Ringressi
    Old-school Blue Grass