Thread: Stonebridge-czech made

Was looking around the local folk store yesterday and saw a "Stonebridge". It was in the $2000 range and had a lovely sound. There was also a Gibson for$2700 and it had a lovely sound as well, but I preferred the Stonebridge. They are made in Czechoslovakia and used to be called "Standfords". It was also pretty to look at.

Was it one of these?

One of the guys I play with has an A model and I have messed around with thier F at our local music store. Bother are great value with excellent sound and craftmanship. Apparantly, this is one of the few instruments that doesn't require setup when it arrives at the store.

I'd recommend it in a heart beat,
    Bob

Stonebridge and Stanford are the same instruments made by Furch in Czech Rep via different distributors. #They can be really excellent and terrific value. There is one "f" model for a retail of about $2000 I have just seen, which is tremendous.
    I am based in the UK and am a million miles from the bluegrass scene, but apparently, in Czech republic there are bluegrass bands busking on street corners. #Hence they are able to voice instruments for the american market - John
    John H Littler

Stonebridge and Stanford are the same instruments made by Furch in Czech Rep via different distributors. #They can be really excellent and terrific value. There is one "f" model for a retail of about $2000 I have just seen, which is tremendous.
    I am based in the UK and am a million miles from the bluegrass scene, but apparently, in Czech republic there are bluegrass bands busking on street corners. #Hence they are able to voice instruments for the american market - John
    John H Littler

Here's mine. I got it at the NAMM show in Los Angeles a few weeks ago. #I would tell you about how great it sounds but it's my first mandolin. I started learning a few weeks ago so I'm not sure how great it is. I think it sounds wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by (mando john @ Feb. 08 2007, 20:24)
    I am based in the UK and am a million miles from the bluegrass scene, but apparently, in Czech republic there are bluegrass bands busking on street corners. Hence they are able to voice instruments for the american market
    John, there's a good bluegrass scene in the UK too (see www.ukbluegrass.com), but you're right that the Czechs really know what they are doing when it comes to voicing mandolins. I have played a lot of Czech instruments and even the cheap ones have sounded good.

I have some in stock in the UK with Furch on the headstock. They are great mandolins for the money but I won't be getting any more due to zero service from Furch.

No worries about warranty issues for instruments bought from me, I take care of all my customers.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.