Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cattle in the Cane

plinker8 your pickin sounds pretty good! Seems like the rhythm track is a little out of sync. Were you using audaicty? I have some trouble with this, but the time shift tool allows you to correct. great job though.
    Don

I've just posted a couple of versions of CitC on yahoo. I'm pretty pleased with where I got with the melody, but my rhythm playing really needs work. I posted one version without rhythm too. Wanted to see if I could hold it together at 180 bpm. Pretty much at my limit
    Don

Nicely done ducati. Very nice. Rhythm can be a tough one. It's all about feel and supporting those you're playing with. Take a listen to any of the Doc and Dawg recordings. Grisman throws it all out there... with just the two of them (or three with Jack), he takes numerous liberties with his playing... it's when I like his playing best. Rhythm concepts galore!

Kelly_Guy, also nicely done. I'm digging that version. I've never heard CITC at a jam but perhaps I will, when next I make the pilgrimage to the land of beer and brats!

Very nice, Don!!! You do it really well. Your back-up is really funky. I like that! Great job.

I haven't even learned it yet! I think I'll jump this and be back for Fisher's hornpipe (or Cluck old hen..or whatever wins).

Kelly, you sound great!!! Maybe I should try your version once again before giving up. I just love it!

Tjej, where are you having problems? Perhaps the group could help...

It's not that it's too hard or so. Both versions are ok to play. I'm not sure anyone can help this problem. I'm a bit weird. When I play a tune, I want to have it in my head. Otherwise I just play some notes from a book. I learn most tunes by heart pretty quickly, but this one doesn't seem to get into my head. It's like there's nothing that sort of comes back, no "theme" in the tune (or at least I don't get it). It may be because I haven't heard this tune before (I have it somewhere with Sam Bush but haven't listened to it for ages and I can't find the CD). The other tunes we've worked on, I've heard several times and played them some too. But I've never played this one and barely heard it. This kind of tunes, that go minor sometimes, are quite hard to improvise on too (at the moment I'm not good at improvising other tunes either, haven't practiced that for a long time) so I can't come up with something of my own.
    I'll try again with Kelly's version, that was a little bit simpler. I hope to come up with at least something. Thanks for your offer, Dasspunk.

Yeah, I understand completely. I really had to talk my fingers into this one... it's not a song I would have sought out to learn on my own. This is one of the main reasons I really like this group. It gets me motivated to learn things out of my comfort zone.

What worked for me on this (and really most tunes) was to pop it open in Tabledit, slow it down to 100bpm, select one section at a time and drive it home a 100 times or so. Then grab the other section, rince and repeat.

Sucks to be my neighbor...

I didn't really "get" Cherokee Shuffle at the beginning, but soon I got a 'feeling' for the tune. CITC is a funny little beast to learn. I sure can't get it to sound like Sam on the BG.M.Extravaganza CD. sigh.
    Alan

Don (ducati08):

Funny, a friend and I were talking about aligning tracks at a party just this evening. #We've been passing 'wave' files back and forth electronically, and the back-up tracks always seem a little off. I haven't played with the time shift yet, just trying to align the tracts by deleting portions of each track at the start. #I played all three parts with headphones, but the 'digital delay' gets the rhythm off just enough to be annoying. #Or my timing really sucks! I won't have time to play with the program for a few months, but a look forward to learning more about the capabilities of Audacity. Thanks for the compliment.

Where did I lay down my 'time shift' pick? #Dan

Play em like you know em!

I've never had much success with using the time shift to align tracks. I can get it pretty close, but pretty close doesn't really cut it. Even the smallest difference in sync makes the rhythm sound out of whack.

I am pretty sure it's not your timing that is bad, plinker. I know mine isn't as bad as it was, at least not when I play back-up on a tune. It's Audacity that has some kind of delay. I haven't been able to make it right even with the time shift, until yesterday when I tried to do it from the end of the song, instead of from the start.
    At the end of Soldier's joy I did two downstrokes, first on the open string and then on the final chord. As you know the tracks in Audacity shows like waves, and I could see pretty exact where those downstrokes were. So I took the back-up track and pulled those downstrokes to the exact place where the downstrokes on the melody track were, and got it really well in rhythm. So I'll try something like that in the future too.

Wow, the floodgates have opened for CITC recordings. Quite a few to choose from. Great job all! I hope we'll get even more...

Get 'em while they're hot

They all sound great!!!!! Applauds to everyone!!

Kelly, just got to your recording. Really nice job. The double stops are great.
    Don

g smolt - I really like your version. Very nice!! Did you learn it from a tab? Which?
    Thanks
    Don

All these sound great!

G Smolt - I really love the harmonics as you go into the B part - very nice!

Keep up the great work!

Eric

Have the MP3 files been moved? I can't find them.

Check them out here: Mandolin Project

Thanks, I found them last night.

Gosh, when you look at these thread you could believe that I don't do anything else than sitting here typing messages!!!

I've finally uploaded my Cattle in the cane to the Yahoo group. I didn't add any back-up this time. It just sounded to bad. I really have to work on chords and chops. Especially minor chords, I don't do them much but I really have to if I want to sing Irish ballads!

Very nice, Susanne! Clean picking, and very good tone. Well done!

Just listened to you CITC there Bluegrasstjej. Sounds like your really coming on, getting rythmically more solid and playing with more projection. Keep it up!

Thanks for your comments!
    I'm so glad my timing is finally getting anywhere. I finally will have to agree that playing with a metronome has given me something after all. I recorded this one without click track, though.
    Now I'll start working on Fisher's hornpipe! Can't wait - I really love that tune.

Great job Susanne! Your timing was great, very steady and clean throughout; if you did that without a metronome I'm very impressed! Nice clear tone, too.

Carolyn