Thread: Frank wakefield

So I've been thinking a lot about Frank Wakefield lately and doing some reading up on him on the net. Frank lives fairly close by and I recently took a lesson from him and Sunday I'm going up to his house to play some guitar for him.

In many ways Frank's legendary, but he's also kind of forgotten. I mean, how come he's not in the same demand as a JD Crowe or Doc Watson or something?

Thoughts on Frank?

Why?

I'm sure Frank does what he wants to do. Seems he is old enough to retire and takes the gigs he wants to play.
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

Well I'd say that's probably true, but at the same time it's been that way for many years -- since right after the Greenbriar boys you could argue.

Not forgotten for everyone. His "Kitchen Tapes" with Red Allen is a definitive mando recording for me and stays on heavy rotation on my iPod. Frank is an incredible picker.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

Good question and I have no answer, I just know I love him and his pickin to death!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Quote Originally Posted by
    He has a mandolin strapped to his arm when he answers the door and when he sends you off three hours later it is still there. He just sits in his house and plays mandolin and chews tobacco all day. he will make you feel so welcome
    -- from another thread asking about mandolin teachers in the Albany area, and describing Frank's life in Saratoga Springs. Sounds like he's found his "home place," and it doesn't sound all that bad to me -- other than the chewin' tobacco.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Frank is a wonderful mandolin player. I took a weekend workshop with him and he would play marvelous "wakefield wake up" calls every morning. I've heard speculation that Frank's lack of fame was due to some personal problems.

I think maybe he is a better player than composer and never teamed up with a better composer.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

Last picture I saw of Frank, he was not that well, after his stroke. (Looked like heck, actually).

How's he been doin lately??

-soupyp1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

I don't think it was a stroke. He had heart surgery last spring and from what I could tell he seems pretty much recovered. He's playing great anyway.

I understand what another poster is saying about personal problems -- but Red Allen had pretty much the same problems, and many others too.

Frank's been in Saratoga Springs since the late 60's.

Frank has made his home in Saratoga Springs for 30+ years.

He is a muse, and has continued to produce wonderful music for decades. Being a different drummer, he has done things which are 'outside'. I love it.

craichead:Oh, Ok..I stand corrected. Thanks. I knew he had SOME sort of major physical issue.

the pic I saw, (Taken by his fiddle player who handles most of the Wakefield website stuff...Brian?), showed a very thin and worn out (taken at home I believe, after the hospital and rehab), fella, and I was simply hoping that he was doing much better now.

-Soupy1957
    Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

Once in a while he will play at the Turning Point in Piermont NY. Real small venue in $$ area. Jorma sells tix for $75 per show. 2 shows a day. When Franks plays there, maybe 15 people are present. Why? I have no idea.

I would love the opportunity to see Frank if he ever makes it out this way. My personal feeling is Frank is just too excentric and that kind of freaks people out. First timers don't know how to take him. Musically, I think he fell into the same pit the Osborne Brothers did with folk's definition of "what is Bluegrass" (same old Debate, try and play Rocky Top at at a Bluegrass Jam. You'll see what I mean.). None the less he is a fantastic manodlin player who has added much to the sound and style. He is the same as Monroe, just different!
    Go Vandals!

Yes . Why not Frank? I would go see him. But he doesn't come down here (Fla.) very often. I have not really known his music until a few years ago. Even though I kinda knew who he was. I think that answers the "why not frank?" question. Even many mandolin players don't know who he is or what he has done and continues to do. Popularity is a strange and often illusive thing. What and who are popular are not always who we think. Frank does have some eccentricities like the backward talking thing but also some of his music like some of the "Jesus loves his mandolin player" series is just out there for many of those listening to bluegrass and mandolin music in general. He certainly influenced Grisman but got lots from Bill Monroe. I like what I've heard. I would like to meet him and see him perform. Go FRANK! (Hear that Jim Moss?)

Has Frank recorded recently? I think the latest things I have from him are vinyl LP's with the Good Ole Boys -- decades old.

I saw him back in the '60's with the Greenbriar Boys at a Cambridge coffeehouse, and later at Fox Hollow in the '70's. (Jeez, is it really that long ago?) I could speculate that the eccentricities that were evident in his behavior -- nothing negative, just a little "off center" -- might have led him to avoid the obvious commercial path.

In any case, we have his wonderful recorded output. I heard a local bluegrass band playing New Camptown Races a little while ago; a great tune, and the product of a creative, accomplished musician.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by (allenhopkins @ Feb. 01 2007, 10:36)
    heard a local bluegrass band playing New Camptown Races a little while ago; a great tune, and the product of a creative, accomplished musician.
    What a classic number. Recorded versions I know of:

Jimmy Gaudreau
    Muleskinner
    Mike Seeger
    Dave Peters
    Johnny Staats
    Wyatt Rice
    Jesse Brock

must be others.

If imitation is flattery, Wake must be flattered...

Has Frank recorded recently? #I think the latest things I have from him are vinyl LP's with the Good Ole Boys -- decades old.

I saw him back in the '60's with the Greenbriar Boys at a Cambridge coffeehouse, and later at Fox Hollow in the '70's. #(Jeez, is it really that long ago?) #I could speculate that the eccentricities that were evident in his behavior -- nothing negative, just a little "off center" -- might have led him to avoid the obvious commercial path.

In any case, we have his wonderful recorded output. #I heard a local bluegrass band playing New Camptown Races a little while ago; a great tune, and the product of a creative, accomplished musician.
    Yes he had a CD called "That Was Now, This is Then" within the last couple of years I think. He's also in the process of recording one right now. Not sure who's on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by (AlanN @ Feb. 01 2007, 10:42)
    heard a local bluegrass band playing New Camptown Races a little while ago; a great tune, and the product of a creative, accomplished musician.
    What a classic number. Recorded versions I know of:

Jimmy Gaudreau
    Muleskinner
    Mike Seeger
    Dave Peters
    Johnny Staats
    Wyatt Rice
    Jesse Brock

must be others.

If imitation is flattery, Wake must be flattered...
    Also Randy Howard on "I Rest My Case."

Wyatt Rice could probably have me arrested for theft for my guitar part on that tune!

everyone if you like franks playing, listen to the waltz in the bluegrass on his this was now cd. He's an incredible composer who is always thinking outside the box, one of the greatest bluegrass instrumentals.

I don't know if Frank has recorded under his own name recently, but he was one of the featured "masters" on Grisman's "Mandolin Extravaganza" 2-cd set.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

[QUOTE]everyone if you like franks playing, listen to the waltz in the bluegrass on his this was now cd. He's an incredible composer who is always thinking outside the box, one of the greatest bluegrass instrumentals.

I'd stand his "That was Now, This is Then" CD up against any instrumental mandolin CD out there. He is a great composer and a true treasure.Frank on Pax
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

If you're interested in Frank, all you have to do is acquire the recently remastered "Red Allen - The Folkways Years" 1964-1983 w/ Frank Wakefield on mandolin. It's released on Smithsonian Folkways Recordings. Not only one of the greatest bluegrass recordings of all time, but the best available example of Frank playing (and beautifully singing) at the height of his powers. Of course, Red Allen is amazing as are all the others on this fantastic CD. GET IT!!!

Jim Moss is Frank's fiddler (he studied with Kenny Baker, IIRC), tour manager, website manager, and cafe member. If you want to see Frank live, you can help Jim find venues in your area. See this recent thread:

Frank on tour

They have one date set at Freight & Salvage in Berkeley for May.
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM