Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount airy

Anyone from mount airy,looking to jam

Naw, there aren't any pickers in Mt Airy... you'll never find anybody, may as well give up...

Sure is alot of smarty pants on here

the state might help.

Well, I wuz bein smart-alec-y cause you got a reply on the other thread...

Ya got the ANdy Griffith Playhouse on Thursday nights, Downtown Theatre on Saturdays, The Armfield Civic Center in Pilot on Tuesday's. Take ya pick.

Three jams around town per week, man, some folks would kill to have such a large assortment of pickin going on... and if you don't like the venues, you can meet enough people around to start something yourself. Mt Airy is about the biggest hotbed of bluegrass and old time music anywhere, so just go outside and shake a few bushes and see how many pickers fall out. I'll be at the fiddler's gathering at Veteran's Park in early June, see ya there!

Flowerpot, I'll be lookin fer ya. Maybe we can try and get a jam together?!?!?!

You becha, if not before... we plan to go to Denton in mid-May too.

Isn't there some barbershop downtown there that has live music?
    Ole whatsis name's shop??? The LeBlanc brothers used to play there, I think.

Didn't somebody in NC host a mandolincafe get together/jam last year? Is that gonna happen again?

Shaun

Hey Chris when we going to get together and jam?

I been real busy with work. Been up in Michigan, West Virginia and Virginia and all over North Carolina.

I want to get a group togther up here and set aside a Friday night or something to work on starting a BG band.

Evan, you may be thinking of Floyd's Barber shop down town. I don't recall them having a jam, but the Down Town theatre does the Merry Go Round across the street. There is a jam at 9:00 or so every Saturday morning. Headed up by Tim Chadwyck.

The closest GT for the Mando cafe we had around here was over near Stokesdale. I do believe Flowerpot had that one.

I am planning on being at Denton as well this year.

Check out Barr's fiddle shop and Stringbean Cafe up in Galax, that's not far from you, so many musicians back there in my hometown you got to find someone to jam with...
    www.willowbranchbluegrass.com

2007 Collings MF
    51 Martin D-28
    Metcalf Adi/Cocobolo Dread
    Martin Kit D-18

I will see you all at Fall Festival and we will do some pickin. I come down every fall from northern Wisconsin.

"Make a joyful noise"

Mt. Airy? Try, this:

1. park anywhere downtown(well, so to speak, but you know what I mean)
    2. walk down the sidewalk
    3. to each person that you pass by say "hey, you guys pickin' tonight?"

Best Regards,
    Hank in NC
    Member, Smart-alec Hall of Fame
    hanknc

Hank,
    Being from those parts, that ain't too far-fetched!!!!!!!!!!
    AppBrookie

Yep, that was me that had the mando gathering at the house last year, in eary May. We're an hour's drive from Mt Airy. I may try for something like that again, but who knows. The broken collar bone has put a damper on things for me so far this year, but I should be pretty much 100% by April, so we'll see what happens.

Mark, when did you break your collar bone, and how? Glad to hear you are on the mend. . .

warning... thread hijack underway...

Dave, I wiped out on my mountain bike around the 1st of Dec, landed really hard on the pavement with the right shoulder and hip, and broke the right collar bone clean in two. Had surgery to pin it in place a couple of days later. Haven't been able to play hardly at all since, but it's been feeling OK the last couple of weeks, at least good enough to practice a bit. I still can't lift anything heavy, like picking up the kids, for another month or so. At least I can sleep in a bed instead of a chair now, and I'm done with the sling, and I can type with two hands... those seem like big things now! But I've never gone so long without playing the mandolin, not in 15 years. That was tough, but I think I'm back to pickin fairly regularly now.

I want to go to a jam at the downtown cinima on saturday morning,but i'm afraid some might not want a rookie picker in on a jam

If you feel you are a 'rookie', start at the outskirts of the jam.
    Work your way towards the center as your confidence allows.

Otterly also organized an octave mando get together last summer and I think it was Mt. Airy; exceptin it was the Philly one.
    Wye Knot

hey lowgap , Ive talked 2 you before, I live in Cana Va. and I go to the jam at the cinema on occasions, 2 weeks ago it was good pickin upstairs. I'm willin to get together and pick, their are 4 and 5 of us at times that live within 10 miles of me that get togather and pick. (Boy that sounded hillbilly huh) Flowerpot,csstanley,hernbone,hank,appbrookie,dobnc ,lee are you guys from this area, like I said Im from cana va. where yall from?
    Dennis Cain

Sorry about the hijack folks. I am glad to hear you are on the mend Mark. I can somewhat appreciate your situation, having suffered a left hand injury in 2000, that sidelined me for about 10-12 weeks. Sounds like you really took a tumble, dang those mountain bikes.. . hey, I traded away the Henderson to Vince Bullins, and got a 2004 Duff. I really like the Duff. I played early Duff's from the early 2000's and this one is a bit cleaner with a bit thinner neck, but not to thin. About your recovery regimen take it slow but definitely do the scar tissue massage, the exercises and all that, I am sure you will, they say that we musicians are excellent patients because we WANT to get better. Take care, my friend.

hey madno-picker: I am from Stokes county, near the NC/VA line. I am also the co-sponsor of the Southeast CoMando Gathering. It is always held the weekend AFTER Mother's Day in beautiful Ashe County, NC. More will be posted later in the Spring. But please feel free to attend. We gather about Wednesday and stay through Sunday at a local campground on the banks of a fine trout stream.:D

Their used to be a jam every friday night at the fire dept. here in cana, It started out really just a few locals gatting togather and pickin. And within a years time it was the biggest jam around!!!! Their was guys coming every friday from winston-salem,rural hall, wythville va., hillsville, galax, lake norman , statesville nc, charlotte nc,elkin nc, on average there were 20 to 30 pickers every friday. It got so big they had to stop it , Im talking to some of the members of the fire dept that would be willing to get it stsrted again and maybe it will start back up . If it does I WILL let you guys know Good pickin Dennis