Thread: Light touch on fretting hand but not light on picking hand?

Default Light touch on fretting hand but not light on picking hand?

Hi everyone,

I've been playing mandolin for about year now. I'd say I'm crawling into the early intermediate category in terms of skill level but trying to be patient about it. Lately I'm focusing more on technique by doing some sight reading exercises, using a metronome, working out arpeggios, etc.

One thing I've noticed when trying to use the least amount of pressure necessary with my fretting hand (left for me) is that my right hand tends to ease up simultaneously which effects volume. Is this a thing that anyone else has experienced? If I try to be intentional about the "strength differential" (so to speak) it hurts my brain a little bit. I guess that's called learning.

Curious to hear any other opinions!
    Keith

Default Re: Light touch on fretting hand but not light on picking hand?

greetings! welcome to the path of mandolin. i face similar issue, but while learning to play at 120 bpm (contra dance speed). have to be really light with the fretting hand (the 8th notes are coming fast, no time to push strings all the way to the center of the earth!) and have to be really light with the picking hand (no time to dig out the pick from where it gets buried in the strings!). had to give up a lot of volume because of this. just barely brushing the tops of strings. almost like playing tremolo. got some volume back by using a bigger pick (Wegen trimus 250). also helps to have a loud mandolin (an old gibson a-4). good luck! developing a light touch is well worth the effort.

3. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

KeithW 

Super helpful! Trying to get light touch still confounds me a bit. I only consistently get fret buzz when I'm using my pinky on those scary higher frets but maybe something to lean into in the open position too and see what comes out.

Part of this is just about practice and developing left and right hand independence.

When you're trying to play loud or fast, or both, there's a tendency to tense everything up. The converse (opposite?) is true too. But with practice, you can learn to not do that.

Perhaps more importantly, you have to learn that that tension is counterproductive. I'm not a big golfer, but a golf analogy is forthcoming... to hit the ball well you have to maintain a loose grip. This is a hard thing for many people to learn, the instinct is if you want to rip it, you have to hold on tight, but in fact that's completely wrong.

A similar thing is true here. Volume doesn't come from a locked down tight righthand technique; a relaxed grip, and a relaxed right hand approach can get just as much volume in a short controlled, well timed stroke.

Check out Sierra Hull's tips if you haven't already (#2 seems most important here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCoGGcsi0I
    '91 Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A / Eastman MD-315

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caberguy For This Useful Post:

Nate Lee has a good video on this. Skip to about 2:30 to get straight to the good stuff.

https://youtu.be/eNoGsYdlGkQ?si=1Q13LfqQDs2JeRy2
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

8. The following members say thank you to Tighthead for this post:

KeithW 

I’m no golfer either (I adhere to George Carlin’s opinion on the sport) but having played it a bit that is a very helpful analogy.

This past week I have intentionally slowed down and have been running through Sharon Gilchrist’s beginner mandolin series on Peghead Nation. Simple things like pick direction + ghost notes with 8th notes stood out.

The tension is something I try to notice when I can which has been more important since I have developed some c-spine crunchiness and carpal tunnel symptoms (getting treatment, MD says I don’t have to stop playing). Ah, the joy of pushing 40.

Thanks so much for the tips!

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent! Thank you. I will check out more of his tips.