Page 1 of 15 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fullerton mandolins - just the instruments

if it's ok with moderators, i'd like to start another thread where we can discuss these instruments. just the instruments, not the pros and cons of various retailers. a bunch of us have bought, or ordered these mandolins, and those of us who have received them so far are very impressed.

please would those who got the other thread locked refrain from ruining this one as well. it'd be nice for those of us with a genuine interest in these very good value instruments to be able to share info, reviews and experiences.

I was gonna add to the now locked topic, while waiting to my Gloucester, i ordered one of these..

http://www.music123.com/Fullert....5.music

I had posted a link to a clearance model a few days ago and it's already sold out. Had I known the high opinion a lot of folks seem to have of them, I probably would have grabbed one myself (and allowed my wife retailiatory spending to make up for it.)
    Has anyone done a direct comparison between the low-end solid-top
    Fulltertons and the laminate Rogue model, which is what I currently have? Do any of you have both?

I would like to ask the fellow Fullerton buyers have you changed anything yet. i.e. different strings, tail piece, bridge, etc...

I'm still on the original strings. I have ordered an arm rest from Ederly, but it is on back order. But I was interested if anyone has made some significant changes, although I'm am enjoying it right of the box.

I agree let's keep it strictly to the instrument.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by (mboucher @ Mar. 22 2007, 11:55)
    I would like to ask the fellow Fullerton buyers have you changed anything yet. i.e. different strings, tail piece, bridge, etc...

I'm still on the original strings. I have ordered an arm rest from Ederly, but it is on back order. But I was interested if anyone has made some significant changes, although I'm am enjoying it right of the box.

Mark
    I have a spare set of Thomastik waiting for the Fullerton :-)

Quote Originally Posted by (mboucher @ Mar. 22 2007, 11:55)

Mark
    i have done a tiny bit of finishing on the f holes as they were just a tiny bit rough and untidy. as it plays and sounds so good out of the box i am inclined to forget changing the bridge or tailpiece for the moment.

i still plan to get a bone nut, as i just don't like plastic, but i'm gonna keep the original plastic one as a spare just in case!

bought a hard case for it, and as far as i am concerned, we cookin'!

i gave it a test run at our jam, and it was great. when i took a bathroom break, a friend played it. as i came back into the room i could hear my Fullerton ringing out through the din. it sounded fine!

i'm tempted to get a Tone Gard, and to make an armrest, but the mando itself doesn't seem to need anything changed.

ApK, My latest post was in the General Discussion about Music 123. There I compared the Fullertons that I have played ( I still have the Gloucester and tried the Hammonton) against the two Rogues that I have played. My grandaughter and my nephew both have the Rogue A style and I have played them both quite a bit. The one my Nephew owns sounds a little better to me than my grandaughter's but it; may be because he takes lessons and keeps fresh strings on his. But the bottom line is both of the Fullertons that I have played and especially the Gloucester, that I plan to be buried with, are far, far superior instruments than the Rogues (sorry, MF). This is just my humble opinion and keep in mind, I'm no expert, but I'm 58 yrs. young and have been playing guitar for 50 yrs. and mandolin for about 4 yrs. and have been trying to learn the fiddle for about one yr. From what I have observed, the Fullertons beat the Rogues in fit and finish, construction, playability, volume, tone and in every catagory you can name. I also have read some wonderful reviews about their line of guitars and ordered my Parkdale, acoustic/eletric three days ago and it shipped yesterday. I know I sound like a Fullerton salesman but I have nothing to gain by my testimonies, except I hope somebody will keep selling this line of instruments. I'm just a poor, hard working stiff in NW Louisiana that appreciates a good value and if the quality control remains as it is with the Fullertons these are good investments for people like me who don't have thousands of dollars to spend on their hobbies.
    Dan McIntyre

I'm in! Should be here next week, and I can't wait.

Say, Flattop, what hard case did you get? I'm itching to take this on a plane flight or two in the next few months--

--E

I was looking at that model guitar also. Is that real abalone inlay, or Mother of toilet seat? The guitar seems like another great deal. Better to take that out, and leave my Martin home!
    Ed
    Ejkauf99

I own 4 Fullertons and a Rogue A mandolin. There is no comparison between the Fullerton and the Rogue. The Fullerton surpasses the Rogue by leaps and bounds. As for there guitars I have 3 of them (12 string, resonator, and there all solid dreadnought) I have been extremely impressed with all of them. The only problem I have with them is that I have been pickn' way too much and not getting anything done around the house. It is sad that these instruments will most likely go the way of the dodo.

Has anyone picked up one of the Fullerton Fw35 ? I am thinking about getting one to keep in my bus.

Anybody have any experience with the Fullerton Blackwood parlor guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by (SJennings @ Mar. 22 2007, 22:14)
    Anybody have any experience with the Fullerton Blackwood parlor guitar?
    Yes, it is sweet. I posted a picture of mine in the other Fullerton thread. I paid $169.50 + $19.95 S&H from a seller on eBay. When I first got it it sounded kind of mid-rangy but not honky. From playing it it has sweetened up and is surprisingly loud for as small as it is. I am trying to figure out a way to use it at church when I have to play acoustic.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Quote Originally Posted by (EMS @ Mar. 22 2007, 13:20)
    I'm in! Should be here next week, and I can't wait.

Say, Flattop, what hard case did you get? I'm itching to take this on a plane flight or two in the next few months--

--E
    i just got a cheap f case - a Stagg. they are good, solid hardshells, but the fit isn't great so i'm remodeling the padding inside to give better support to the neck and headstock. also, either the padding wasn't positioned quite right, or the point nearest the neck is a couple of cm displaced from where it would be on the mando the case was modeled on (presumably a Gibson).

still, for £30 it's a perfectly adequate case, and once the padding is reworked it'll be a good one.

My Gloucester arrived yesterday. I tuned it up and it sounded fine, I took it to the Thursday night jam and fellow picker "tasted" it and was impressed with it. Another friend called Music 123 and ordered his yesterday. He was told they had 40 some left. I will eventually change the nut and tailpiece plus add an armrest. I am satisfied with it.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Jim, how was the bridge-to-top fit? Mine was perfect, but I remember that Ray had to have his Hammonton bridge fit to the body. Let me know when you order a tailpiece, maybe we can order two and get a discount. Your friend makes 5 Fullertons in our circle since I got mine.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

ejkauf, I'm not sure about the abalone on the Parkdale and I don't know realy how to tell the difference when mine arrives but from reading the reviews on the guitars on the www.ezfolk web site, they believe that the abalone is real. I'm also looking at the Montclaire Pro guitar. It has solid rosewood back and sides and solid engleman spruce top and real abalone in rosette and body inlays. I'm still loving my Gloucester. I was spending more time on the fiddles until my Gloucester arrived and now I'm back playing the mando a lot more than the guitar or the fiddle. I haven't customized mine in any way yet. I was using D'Addario J74's and J75"s on my other mandolins and I like that string. I would like to put an Allen tailpiece on it and maybe a toneguard and change out the nut, but I can't seem to find the time right now. Anyway it sounds pretty awsome to me just the way it came. Dan
    Dan McIntyre

Jim,
    The bridge fit was good, doesn't need any attention. I have a 1st generation Price cast tailpiece hanging around somewhere and thought I would put it on. It is one-piece and fairly easy to do string changes. I wouldn't mind having another James tailpiece (like on my Daley) but don't want to sink much money into this one since i have the spare parts to upgrade a little. Even the action was where I wanted it.
    Now I will be on a case quest!

Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I just opened the Gloucester that I ordered 4 days ago. Now, having both the Hammonton (which has been "played-in" for a couple of weeks) and the Gloucester, I can give a decent comparison. Having only now brought the Gloucester up to pitch, I can immediately tell that it will have a drier, woodier tone than the glossy Hammonton. This, I suspect is due to the satin finish, which almost looks like stained, unfinished wood. There is very little varnish on it, that I can see. Right out of the box, it sounds about 9/10ths as good as the A9's and F9's I've played, with the major weakness being in the bass notes. Intonation seems as good as one could ask for without touching the location of the bridge (the D course is maybe 1-2 cents off at the octave, the other 3 courses are spot on.)

Fit and finish are fine overall, except for one very small filled area on the inside curve of the scroll. Unlike the Hammonton, this one does not seem to have any tailpiece issues YET. I look forward to spending a lot more time with this mando. I have no regrets over spending $200 each for these Fullertons. #

Dave

Striving for mediocrity and perpetually falling short.

Just got mine the other day. I like the appearance, the wood, the scroll, etc. quite a bit (never a big fan of sunburst, the combo of F sytle with very plain detailing really appeals to me, even not having the dots I like). Tone is nice, has a wonderful ring to it. Tuners are not great, but I figure I can get better ones at some later point (any recommendations on those?. Intonation however is a big issue. The bridge is quite slanted, and the inonation is suffering. The 12th fret harmonic is not even close to the fretted note. Can anyone tell me how to set intonation? I've never had do move a bridge before and do this. If I can solve this problem, it will be a very nice instrument and I'll be very happy with it. If not, then I will sadly have to return it. Help, I want to keep my mando!

I just got my Gloucester this afternoon. The bridge was way down at the bottom of the f holes so I loosened the strings, and put it in place. I also had to lower the bridge quite a bit. The sound got better after playing for awhile. I was at work at the hardware store, and it was a slow day so I stood by the counter, and messed with it. The finish is nice except near the scroll where it is blotchy. The ridge on the scroll seems like it may have gotten rubbed, or compressed as the finish is discolored there also. I think I might have been sent a "B" stock instrument. unless this is the way a Chinese instrument is supposed to look. I don't know if I care much about this yet. Other than that it plays great. If it really opens up it would be great. I think that I might try heavier guage stings, and see what happens
    Ed
    Ejkauf99

Hummingbird, this is a pretty easy fix. Tune all your strings down at least a full tone - the notes don't matter but at least F-C-G-D. Put the bridge semi- straight, perpendicular to the strings approximately even with the points on your F holes. Use your tuner and play the 12th fret harmonic and the fretted note on the G string. If the fretted note is sharp to the harmonic, move the bridge toward the tailpiece. If the fretted note is flat, move the bridge toward the headstock. 1/16 of an inch is usually plenty. Check it again. When you have it so that the notes are the same, do the E string. The trick here is to leave the bass side of the bridge where it is and move the treble side, if necessary. You may have to go back and forth a bit, correcting the other when you move the one. Usually, once you have the G and E courses intonated, the other two are also good. Sometimes on a mandolin we have to settle for 3 out of 4. Tune to pitch and check it again. You should be good to go.

Okay I blame you all for firing up my MAS, which was in remission. What better than to rationalize something decent,cheap AND with a scroll, right?
    My gloucester came in today and I'm in the same boat as Ed above. Splotch on the back (from filling a spot?)slight messiness on the scroll and a smallblack spot on the lower bass side. From 2 feet away, it looks as good as my A9.
    No D'addario hang tags and no instructions with the wrench. Bridge slots on the G string are waaaay shallow and the one string keeps jumping to join the d course. Intonation is wayyyy off (28 cents at the 12 fret)
    Filed the bridge to accept the strings, set the intonation per Jb above and I'm off to the races.The bridge is pretty well fit to the top. I lowered the screws on it and the action is pretty good, as far as I can tell.

The thing is loud. Sounds a little tight, but the more I beat on it, the woodier it seems to get. Could be a keeper.

Okay, My wife is an intelligent woman. She was home when the box was delivered so she knew something was up, but I get so many things delivered both to keep, and resell that she does not pay much attention. We were just having some drinks with our nieghbor tonight when I brought out the gloucester and started playing. It took a while but my wife commented that she never heard my playing sound that nice. Now I have A lyon Healy model C, two vintage Favilla flatbacks, Two Washburn bowlbacks, and a
    really nice Maurer bowlback. None of them play as well as the Fullerton. Even with the finish flaws I am going to keep it. It's bound to get it's share of dings, scratches so what the hey as long as the sound and playablity is there.
    ED
    Ejkauf99

I'm tellin' ya!

Well, folks, I tried a Hammonton, because I could pick one up for $179.10 from M123. The fit and finish on this thing was durn near flawless. Had the prettiest non-flamed back I ever saw up close. The scroll was clean, action was close - I had to raise it a hair on the bass side. I also had to loosen the truss rod a little bit and move the bridge a little bit to set up the intonation. Nut slots were good on this one. One thing about the mando parts themselves - the tailpiece cover took a mess of playing with to get it to stay put. Kept popping off. I finally straightened the side of the cover and bent the bottom piece out a little and it stays put. There is a buzz on the open D - I couldn't really isolate it. It isn't tuners or truss rod, or tailpiece, or pickguard. I dressed the nut slots and the bridge saddle slots up and it was reduced, so I figure if I kept it and really got serious about getting a perfect setup, I could correct it. The main reason I'm sending it back is because the top is curling up to the outside of the F holes - the outside edge of the hole sits higher than the rest of the top, more so on the treble than the bass side. That and the D buzz made me decide not to keep it. It was agonizing, because I t sounded pretty good. Not as loud, nor as woody as my Gloucester, but I was going to set it up with different strings and make a nonbluegrasser out of it, even though it looks more BG than the Gloucester. I am still sold on this brand.