Thread: Port orford cedar

Howdy all,
    A local guy/gal has a quantity of 2 foot lengths of clear Port Orford Cedar. I don't know if it's dry or green, or has been "properly cared for" or if there's any vertical grain. But if those condition were met, is it worth checking out as mandolin tops? I've taken some lumberyard redwood 2x6(short pieces) and resawed them to get bookmatched.
    Afterword: He just called and said mostly flat grain, kiln dried, stored out of the weather, but he'll high grade me some vertical grain and bring it into town in a few days.
    Any feedback appreciated.
    Best, bennyb

It's a marvelous wood for tops. And it smells real nice too. It's a bit like a cross between red cedar and spruce.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Thanks, Paul. Sure hope he finds a few nice tight grain pieces.
    Bennyb

I agree about it being great for top wood. The sad thing is that these trees are dying off in droves. Lot's of standing dead wood that can be had for a song though.

I prefer slightly off quartered for arch top instruments. Align the growth rings so they are perpendicular to the feet of the bridge and you are just about perfect in my book.

Greg N
    An artist has to deal with his own inner demons.
    A craftsman has to deal with his clients.

"A local guy/gal..."

Sounds ummm, interesting... #

"...is it worth checking out as mandolin tops?"

I like the wood a lot...
    I built 4-5 mandolins out of POC in the early 80's, and really enjoyed working with the stuff...

"Lot's of standing dead wood that can be had for a song though. "

Really??
    Can you point me in the direction of said wood??

The USFS protects that wood like crazy down there in Southern Oregon, as well they should. #Apparently the fungus that is killing the trees was brought in on car tires and the boots of us humans, and the Forest Service doesn't want you in there cutting standing dead trees or windfalls...
    Or at least that's the last I heard a few years back...

So please tell me where I can get it sor a song (offline please), and I'll head on down there next month...

Quote Originally Posted by (Spruce @ Mar. 22 2007, 19:56)
    So please tell me where I can get it sor a song (offline please), and I'll head on down there next month...
    Be sure to let us know if it pans out, please.

I played a couple built by Gary Price with Port Orford tops and they were special mandolins for sure.

Shaun

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

Port Orford Cedar is stiff, light, and suitable for soundboards. It has a bold, responsive tone. It is evenly textured, with a slight golden-white color and tight, even grain. An advantage to the builder is that this wood is more immune to splitting than many other soundboard woods.
    Its the largest member of the Cypress family, and like Alaskan Yellow Cedar it is not a true cedar, having the characteristic peppery smell of Cypress.
    Priced right, as well. I have a guitar coming up that will feature it.
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Port Orford Cedar is also highly prized by boat builders for thin planking on small craft where its resistance to splitting is a big advantage.

I learn something new everytime I come here...so maybe I ain't wasting time as I've been told...hehehe.
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

"Port Orford Cedar is stiff, light, and suitable for soundboards."

Well, it is oily and more difficult to season than the other conifers...
    Takes about twice as long to dry out...

A good thing to look for is blotches of oil on the surface of the wood. #This means that it's been sitting around for awhile...
    And it can be heavy....

And it can also fiddleback. #I've got a few chunks here with curl in them. #I'll snap a pic of the curly POC (and the oily surface) if I get a chance...

"Port Orford Cedar is also highly prized by boat builders for thin planking on small craft where its resistance to splitting is a big advantage. "

I first ran into the stuff back in the 70's in Bristol Bay, Alaska.
    All the boats up there were made from POC because it apparently doesn't freeze-check like the other conifer candidates apparently do...
    And up there a resistance to freeze-checking is a good thing...

Hey Rick. #That was quite the display of your guitar on Conan last night...
    Congrats!

OK, here's a pic of the oily spots on the surface of an old (milled '91) piece of POC...

This is a good thing to see, as it denotes the wood has been sitting around for quite awhile...

The spots disappear with one planer pass...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poc.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	22435  

Thankee, Bruce. I missed that as I resigned from the TV ownership club about a year and a half ago. She got the TV, and she's welcome to it!

So with the oil I'd say that whatever finish one might choose to use, it would be a good idea to use an oil blocking sealer first. McFadden's rosewood sealer comes to mind, or good old shellac

Well it's been 4 or 5 years since I bought my last batch. I believe it was from Cook Hardwoods (can't be sure) and the shipping cost me more than the wood. They were the ones who told me it was standing dead and that what they logging was considered almost like salvage. I have no info on any sort of restrictions on the wood.

Greg N
    An artist has to deal with his own inner demons.
    A craftsman has to deal with his clients.

Quote Originally Posted by (Rick Turner @ Mar. 23 2007, 10:25)
    Port Orford Cedar is also highly prized by boat builders for thin planking on small craft where its resistance to splitting is a big advantage.
    I did not know this, Rick. But I suppose that it makes sense considering the wood's properties. I have plans to build a 14 foot lapstrake skiff, and the plans called for 1/4 inch marine plywood, but I have access to some clear 4x4 POC that maybe I can rip for the lapstrakes instead. You've given me something to think about. Then I can play my mandolin out in the Penobscot Bay.

Stephanie, what's the design plan for that? I had a Kittery skiff with a sliding seat for a few years, and it was really great. It was 14' and weighed in at about 40 lbs. Simple plywood construction. That was a great boat. Oh, sorry, no mandolin content!

I live in the heart of POC country.. obtaining a permit for downfall is difficult but not impossible

My neighbor uses POC exclusively for his HAuser style classicals paired up with Brazilian.. much of it cut by Rick Turner..

There is a fence post supplier nearby that just doesn't quite get the concept of highest and best use and regularly butchers potenial tonewood

I also have a reasonable stash of Alaska Yellow Cedar/Cypress. which also makes great mando tops or flamenco backs and sides..

Quote Originally Posted by (Rick Turner @ Mar. 24 2007, 20:37)
    Stephanie, what's the design plan for that? # I had a Kittery skiff with a sliding seat for a few years, and it was really great. # It was 14' and weighed in at about 40 lbs. #Simple plywood construction. #That was a great boat. # Oh, sorry, no mandolin content!
    It's actually called the Penobscot 14. Weighs in more than 40 lbs. I was going to build it last fall but the luthiery became quite busy for some reason and is now on the back burner for the time being.

Beautiful boat, Stephanie, and it should sound wonderful with a mandolin being played in it. Just don't use hide glue building it or nitro lacquer finishing it!

In the seventies I lived in Coos Bay Oregon, just up the coast a bit from Port Orford. I use to have a friend that worked for the forest service out of Port Orford/Bandon area and he would let me know when there was a blow down and we'd go down and buck it up. I was just learning how to build guitars in those days. I can still smell the cedar in my shop as I was cutting up tops. I played a mandolin a couple of years ago that used Myrtle wood for the back sides and neck with a Port Orford Cedar top and it was to die for. My shop is almost back together and as soon as I can find some Myrtle wood for the job, plan on building an F-5 with that same combination. Can't wait to smell the wood. I still have friends down there, and they told me years ago that Japan used to buy up most of the really good POC and they used the wood for Pagodas and temples. I know they used to use POC for the baffle seperations in vehicle batteries and for arrows because they were light and very strong.
    Spruce, keep me posted if you find some chunks large enough for mando tops. Makes me drool just thinking about the aroma. Ken Cartwright
    Cartwright's Music and Repair Shop
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

"Spruce, keep me posted if you find some chunks large enough for mando tops."

I just got some old stuff that should do mandos...
    Milled in the 80's and early 90's...
    End of shameless plug...

Spruce, are you sure it's dry enough! email me off list for the little amount you want for the POC. Thanks, Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon