Thread: Fingerboard and neck adjustments

ok, i have a weber wich i think is about two years old now, lil over, and it has never had anything done to the neck except some minor fret stuff i did.

now it is in need of something, i beleive it has a slight hump up at the joint, and the frets are needing to be replaced.

what would be the best way to fix this? im about to give it to my luthier guy, however i want to know what exactly would fix this, planing the fingerboard? or could a truss rod tweak get the bump out. it is very slight, and my neck plays super fast and low, for reference.

what would you guys do to this mandolin?
    (im very anxious about this!)

wow, sunk like a stone!

there is a slight very slight bump by where the neck meets the body, not really visible to the naked eye... would planing the neck be a good idea? is it to early for such an adjustment? or could it be mended with a truss rod ajustment? my frets i know need to be replaced below the tenth fret because i play ALOT. would it be better to just replace those frets and leave the rest for a while?
    any info appreciated greatly.

John, I hate to see a guy hanging out here like this. I'm no luthier. Since you're about ready to take it in, why not ask your man exactly what he thinks? I'm sure someone who knows more than me will pipe in soon with pretty much the same advice.

Call the nice folks at Weber and ask them when they think you should do. You could send it to them to take care of it. I'd trust them as much as anybody on the planet to fix your issues. They may consider a humped fingerboard a warranty issue. Who knows. Call them.

Best,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

I'd say trust your luthier, if you can trust your luthier.
    I wouldn't know what it needs until I gave it a good looking over, so let your luthier give a good looking over and see what he/she says.

yeah, well i do trust the guy, i was just wondering what exactly is going to happen to this. i did call weber before i posted this. i asked about waranty issues and what the fret size it was i needed. i asked about them doing the work and they said id save cash and not have to ship if i took it to a local guy, and that was my plan anyway unless that would infringe on the waranty. i figured i didnt want to chew their ear off any further, so i figured i'd ask you guys here. same with my luthier, i didnt want to be like 20 questions more so than i already have been about other work, he worked on my oud, and other mandolin and guitar and did great meticulous (sp) work. i wanted to know before hand, so i could go in a little educated on the subject. i totaly trust the guy, its just this mandolin is my baby and im sure you all know how that is. i really didn't want to ship it to weber, that totaly scares me! fragile sticker means dribble like a basketball.... lol
    its just one of those things, there is no turning back once work begins.
    my main concern is that it is only 2 years old, and i dont know enough about mandolins to know how much settling has occurred/or yet to occur.
    i get kinda freaked out about the idea of my mando goin under the knife so to speak!

Why not ship it back? Afterall, it was shipped to the dealer originally, unless you went to Belgrade and picked it up. If it's under warranty it's no issue. You pay to ship it to Weber, they pay usually to ship it back. It will cost you less than taking it locally. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

i dont know when the last time you shipped something as heavy and large as a mandolin in its case, but thats not cheap. how would it cost less than me taking it to a local?!?!?!?! thats really perplexing... the cost of the gas wouldnt be as much as the shipping costs..... plus insurance wich i think costs extra.

when i got my mandolin, they said i couldnt open the box for at least 24 hours! i dont think i want to subject it to that kind of climate stress again. and also weber told me " yeah, shipping mandolins isnt a great idea, and you will save money taking it localy" so im left wondering what you mean mandomedic, is there something i am not taking into consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by (lemonhilljohn @ Mar. 28 2007, 23:50)
    i dont know when the last time you shipped something as heavy and large as a mandolin in its case, but thats not cheap. how would it cost less than me taking it to a local?!?!?!?! thats really perplexing... the cost of the gas wouldnt be as much as the shipping costs..... plus insurance wich i think costs extra.
    If your luthier will do a refret for less than the cost of shipping a mandolin, he's not charging enough.

So... maybe I'm missing something here?

The hump might be a warranty issue, but I would not think that a refret would. If he sends it to Weber they may fix the hump, but I suspect that either locally or at Weber he pays for the refret. Of course fixing the hump might be more than the shipping as well.
    Not to stir up a hornets nest, but lemnhilljohn has expressed a preference for supporting local shops in another thread.

Bill Snyder

John, take a deep breath... now breathe...
    Your mandolin will be fine!
    Your local luthier did great, meticulous work for you on three other instruments. Those are your words. Relax, and trust him/her to make your Weber play and sound better than ever.

He/she will check out the neck, adjust the truss rod to straighten as much as possible, and evaluate the frets. If the neck is plenty straight and only part of the frets are worn, he/she will replace part of the frets, or all of the frets, depending on his/her judgment. If the neck will not straighten, or has a hump in it, he/she will probably remove the frets, plane the fingerboard and replace the frets.
    After that, a standard set up, and you're back in business.

I am a local luthier, perhaps not local to you, but; I have a hunch that if it's under warranty to you, your local luthier is not a warranty station for Weber. Not many are. If he touches it without prior authorization, it could void the warranty. That's why I suggested you ship it back to Weber. You asked when was the last time I shipped a mandolin? Well yesterday in fact. I ship and receive many mandolins and not knowing where you live relative to Montana, I can't imagine it would cost you the price of a fret job!
    I do endorse having work done locally, but having been a warranty station for many years to many brands and models of instruments, I suggested sending it back to Weber to keep your warranty intact. As for temperature issues in shipping, again depending on where you live, I think we're just about out of the woods for extreme temperatures right now or in the very near future. You might have your luthier call Weber and see if they would authorize him to do the work. Kenc

Stayton, Oregon

the guys at weber did not say anything about having authorized repairmen (like martin and gibson) if i ship to weber i have to still pay for the work, plus pay for the shipping, its not free because its not warranty work.
    i knew i was missing something from your idea there mando medic! thanks for clearing that up. GREAT idea about having the luthier call weber. i should have thought of that, but thats what this board is for... thanks again mando medic.

thank you sunburst for the down low on the "operation"

i feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by
    now it is in need of something, i beleive it has a slight hump up at the joint, and the frets are needing to be replaced.

it is very slight, and my neck plays super fast and low, for reference.

(im very anxious about this!)
    Is the hump causing a buzz? #Are the frets really that worn down after two years?

You say it plays super fast and low, make sure there is something really wrong before you have work done. #You don't sound convinced there is actually something wrong with your mandolin. #Just a bit of cautionary advice.

Blog Entries

John, I had a Weber that needed it's neck leveled and nut/bridge replaced. This was a used instrument I purchased. I shipped to Weber ~$60 and for ~$100 they did the work, shipped back and put the warrantee in my name.

I can not say enough good things about Weber's work and customer service. I ultimately parted with this mando as it just wasn't me, the sale had nothing to do with their work. I know you like to keep work local but Weber Rocks. I'm just relating my experience with Weber.

Good Luck.
    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

right before the hump the notes die out, its not something you can really see well with your eye. but it is definatly there. i play alot up there, as the telling fret wear shows, and i need those notes sounding clear and good, its not bad, but it aint great like it was.
    yes all the frets below the tenth need to be fixed, even higher there is some considerable wear, but below the tenth fret there are some gouges. i play like how you say, obsessivly! but yeah my skeptical aditude about the neck adjustment is due to the fact mandolins tend to move around alot, and its been a dry winter, and the spring is just on its way and ive only had the mando for 2 years. i dont have a very good "atmospheric stability" in my house either, so im sure that doesnt help. im doing a few other things to the mandolin at the same time, two new bridges (one electric one loar style) new tuners. i may ask him not to touch the neck/fingerboard, and just replace the frets that need to be replaced, and just kick up the string action and wait out the neck a bit. i actualy have had my action higher than usual lately even, but it could go higher.

jamie, i too am a weber fan, they are great people, and do great work. thats super cool they put the waranty in your name.

Sounds to me like a fret level, crown and polish and set up are in order. Being that it's not in warranty, this should run you around $100 plus strings. Good luck and keep us posted. Kenc
    Stayton, Oregon

Professional Dilletante Rick Banuelos's Avatar

John: Call me here at Weber.
    Rick Banuelos

Burien, WA

2002 Mario Proulx OM/D
    2009 Weber Custom A

got my mandolin back. just refret and leveled, and a new nut. cant afford to put the new bridges on etc. my ongoing dental saga continues.
    it played before, it plays again. feels nice. it got cleaned to, had some interesting things stuck to it..........