Thread: New mandolin structural question

Greetings-
    I'm a guitar player who has been a casual mandolin player for years, but recently decided to put some effort into learning it. I purchased a Fullerton F-style Mandolin (at 69% off) which has a solid spruce top and solid maple back & sides. After receiving it, I gave it a good setup and I'm very happy with the build quality and sound. Before I put it away, I scrutinized it for any imperfections and noticed that the bottom side of the lower f-hole is slightly curled up so that if you sight across the top from the bottom of the instrument, the "point" of that lower f-hole is raised a little higher that the other side. No cracks or weakness detected. Is this potential problem down the road? I bought it by mail, and can get a replacement, but I'm afraid that I may get another with another issue. Is this any reason for concern, or am I just nitpicking?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You need to determine if it is really "curled up" or if the edge toward the center of the mando is sinking. There is a big difference. Curled up may be from slightly green or wet wood, whereas the other means the top is sinking from being too thin
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

f5journl-

That is a good point. I will do a measurement to compare the depth of the inside edge of the lower f hole to the upper one. My initial observation seemed to indicate the lower edge is curled more than the upper, but I'll check it tonight and get back with you. By your post, I assume that if it is not the center sinking, it isn't a major issue?

Thanks for your help, and I'll check it out.

It's not all that uncommon to see the inner f-hole points sink a little, usually toward the front of the f-hole. Another thread here just determined there's about 50 lbs. of pressure on the top and the stress line is the inner edge of the f-holes. We're talking slight sinkage, not any other major distortion of the top.

Take a look at this thread from a month or two ago. Fixed Link.

Bill Snyder

Indeed the inside edge of the f hole on the treble side is 1/16" lower than the bass side plus the outside point is slightly higher, but what is really curious is that the neck itself is slanted to the treble side 1/16" to match the top! The body isn't sunk where the neck attaches, it's just that much closer to the body there. At any rate, I'm returning it for exchange, and if this one isn't a keeper, I'll change brands. This is just part of ordering imports by mail, but with a little patience, sometimes you can get a great instrument at a great price.

Thanks for the responses!