Thread: Sharp back pain from mandolin playing

I've been playing mandolin for about 4 yrs now. Early on, I used to get pain in my left wrist. I fixed this by getting a much better mandolin - problem gone!

Lately, however, I've been experiencing much worse pain. In the past 6 wks or so, I've felt like I have an ICE PICK sticking in my spine, high up, between the shoulder blades. I've been going to a deep massage therapist and getting some relief. However, it seems to be the result of playing mandolin - after every practice session, the pain is WAY worse. If I don't play for a day, the pain seems to lessen - until I'm inevitably drawn back to playing.

Anyone here had this kind of pain problem? AND, if yes, how did you solve it?!? I really do NOT want to be forced to give up playing mandolin - YIKES!

Any helpful advice greatly appreciated!

I've never had the back problem from playing mandolin but it sounds like a similar problem I had a few years back that I finally attributed to talking on the phone (holding the phone between my shoulder and ear) and typing on the computer at the same time. I fixed that by changing the ergonomics and using a headset for the phone. This might be something as simple as lowering or raising your strap (if you're standing up). You should also visit your doctor as it may be something serious.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It might help if you don't sleep on your mandolin...

Try guitar.
    ntriesch

Im no Doc but it sounds a lot like a problem I have. Mine is from a surfing accident some 15 years ago. I have a compressed vertebrae and ever so often it will act up on me when Im sitting the wrong way picking for extended periods of time. It might be best to just go see a professional if after a few minor adjustments in your picking posture doesn't alleviate the problem. Spinal problems can become a lifelong nightmare if left unchecked. Stress flares mine up faster than anything so over the years I've had to calm down a lot...lol!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

There is one person who can solve almost anyones playing related pains or problems. Her name is Barbara Paull. Her book, The Athletic Musician is the best written on the subject, and she is the authority in this field.Stouffville Musicians' Clinic
    If you are serious about playing and have problems actually caused by playing an instrument, you will see her and be able to play again.

Have you taken a good look at your playing position? Often when we practice we hunch over the instrument and crane our neck around. This can obviously cause trouble, but look for smaller stuff too. Do you have a lot of tension in your shoulders or back etc. when you play? Look for any bad habits you may have developed. Of course you should consider seeing a doctor and a good teacher who may be able to spot some physical problems you missed.

You really should see a doctor about this if it is persistent. Bring your mandolin when you go, so that the doctor can see you in action and have a better chance of identifying the problem if it is playing related.

Good luck
    Jeremy

When I get sore and full of aches, its time for me to go to the gym, it usually fixes most of my problems after a week or two. Not sure if its middle age (43) , or from just not using them muscles for a while? I can't speak for everyone, but in my case being semi-retired I don't get much excersise unless I make a consious effort to work out. I'm quite lazy and relaxed otherwise, but everyday activity starts to hurt if I don't move.

maybe this will be a good excuse to get another much better mandolin. After all, it worked before.
    A wrong note played timidly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority is an interpretation.

Relaxing everything helps your playing.....is it possible you are tensing up, insted of relaxing your wrist, arm, shoulder, back etc.

Chiropracters can help with back pain by realigning your spine, but you may need to change your playing position to eliminate the pain. Keep picking though.
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Blog Entries

Please see a doctor. If it turns out to be nothing serious you can always pursue all the other options. Got to rule out the really bad stuff first.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Relax. Stand and play in front of a mirror for a while. Notice what you are doing to cause an unnatural playing position.
    Sometimes, I when standing and playing on stage lift my shoulder to play. I also when seated lean over the mandolin a bit or "ball up" curving my back while I play. Both of these things bother me later. Posture is important. Playing while relaxed in a natural position is best. If you see a therapist take the mandolin with you see if he can see what's causing the problem.

I found practicing in front of a mirror to be an excellent way to keep track of not only your hands but also posture (mine is bad if I don't pay attention). Try to keep your back straight, be sure your mando is well balanced on the strap, shoulders down, elbows down, straight a line a possible from the elbows through the wrists...
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

I agree with those who say to check your playing position; how you hold the instrument, & how you approach with both hands. Sounds like an ergonomics issue. You can treat the symptoms numerous ways(I'd suggest massage therapy), but you have to fix the cause to fix the problem.

Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

I've really enjoyed the advice I've gotten for similar situations by going to an experienced Physical Therapist - maybe one that works on Sports Injuries. They can have you bring your mando in and see you play it then put a finger right where that ice pick is sticking in (that sharp pain is actually easier to trace than some dull ache). Then they can give you an actual exercise or two to rest and get that area stronger.

My totally subjective 2 cents!

Mike
    1916 A-0 Paddlehead Pumpkintop
    1924 A-1 Blackface Snakehead
    www.MusicMoose.org
    Mike
    1916 A-0 Pumpkintop Paddlehead
    1924 A-1 Blackface Snakehead
    1968 FG-140 Yamaha Guitar
    1992 48K Franz Sandner Fiddle
    www.FreePickin.com

Quote Originally Posted by (mandocat @ April 29 2007, 12:23)
    Try guitar.
    and don't forget the ergonomic advantages of a capo.

There could be more to it than how you hold the instrument.

I used to practice with the music siting next to me on the couch. Ater I started developing some pain problems I pick up a music stand and set it at a height that relieved the strain.

If you're practicing for long periods of time you might try moving to different positions or just putting it down for 5 minutes every 30 minutes or so.