Thread: Scotti and Frank

For about two years I have been predominantly a lurker here on the cafe. I enjoy reading the discussions and looking at news and the classifieds. Nothing has ever prompted me to have an opinion that I felt strong enough about to post here. Reading from afar you get to know the "regulars", and after reading so many of the newbie questions and such, (and God bless 'em, keep it up), and not knowing anyone's backgrounds, it was easy for me to wonder if any serious players poke around on the cafe, (no offense to anyone out there, I'm sure plenty of you are great players). After this past Friday I got to put a face with a name, and after hearing him play I felt it important to mention for all of you out there who know Scotti Adams only from the cafe and his typed words, he is a players player. I was at the Frank Wakefield show in Dayton and Scotti was there as you all know from his post. I was able to be in the "musicians room" beside the stage between sets and had the pleasure of hearing Scotti, Frank and Red Allen's son Greg Allen practice the songs they did on stage. Scotti held his own lick for lick onstage with Frank and played sme blistering leads.
    Scotti plays a BRW that is a tone cannon. Really a fantastic sounding mandolin. In fact, I have played a Weber for over a year but am currently in contact with Mr. Wilcox in hopes of becoming a BRW owner. All I can say is that if I can get a mando with a tone like that for the prices listed on his website, then the BRW has got to be the most undervalued instrument currently on the market.DisclaimerKeeping in mind that tone is in the ear of the beholder). Kudos to you and your mando Scotti, nice to have met you.
    "If a man listening will let it, bluegrass will transmit right into your heart...if you really love bluegrass music it will dig in a long ways" #-WSM

I did not know Scotti before the Cafe. I bought a BRW based on his recommendation. Only later, when I was still waiting, did I find out how well known he is from some
    professinals for his pickin'. It made me more psyched, and I
    am more than satisfied with it.

..you too Mike..Im glad you popped your head out and crossed the threshold from lurker to poster...welcome to the fold....and thanks for the kind words about my playing and my mando. I absolutley agree with you about Bens mandos being the most undervalued mando on the market. I always enjoy playing with Frank...hes forces you to the edge and brings out the best in people. Im glad you had a good time because thats what it is all about....maybe we can get together sometime.....thank me....All you Wakefield fans will know what that means

..thanks to you too Tom...

Scotti is a heck of a player and a nice guy both on and off the board. Be sure and check out some of his pickin' over on the MP3 page!

Scotti...What did Frank have to say about #6? I'd love to see a list sometime of all the big boys you have played with over the years...I really like that old photo of you with J.D Crowe and Harley Allen. Classic! Feathered hair and polyester! Something you don't see to much anymore!
    Congratulations on getting to pick with Frank....I'm sure you had a miserable time!
    I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

Ben..Frank played #6..and the first thing he pointed out was my pic guard..he says "you need one of them"..and then he noticed the Tone-Gard..then he showed me the one on his Loar. Franks really liked #6...really like the volume and the tone...he couldnt believe that a mando like that came from a 23 year old builder. Now I may get some flames here...but to my ear and several people there..ol#6 didnt take a back seat to Franks Loar....she held her own very well. As for the people I have played with.. Larry Sparks, Red Allen, Allen Bros. Mike Lilly, JD. Tony Trishka, Bela Fleck and Mark Shatz at the Station Inn,,,that was a cool gig...jammed with Allison, Douglas, T Rice. Geadreau, Bush, Charlie Waller, Doyle Lawson, Mike Compton, John Hartford...thats when he wanted to to buy my Gil. Blue and Lonesome, Random Choice, Kentucky Ridge, Muddy River, Scottie Sparks, Wyatt Rice, Kevin Church, Keth Whitley, Mac Wisman, Bill Harrel, Gary Brewer..members of Hot Rise....I know there are a few more....just cant think of them right now. Thanks for the nice words Ben...I mailed out your care package in the mail today....yea..I had a miserable time... #...Ive been lucky in my life to have been able to be in the presence of so many good players,,,Me and Brian from here on the board play together a few times a year...my dad got me started young by showing me 3 chords and I will forever be indebted to him for that...as well as being one of the lucky few to get to hang with Dorsey Harvey...when David Harvey and I were alot younger we played together when he would come home...

Scotti...That reads like a who's who of bluegrass!!! #You are a very fortunate guy! #We're lucky to have you on the board! Hopefully #20 picked up some of that mojo while you had her...

I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

..Thanks Ben...yea..I have been very lucky....I even remember when I was a 4 or 5 year old boy waking up and seeing members of the Country Gentlmen in my house spending the night in between gigs....oh yea..the best part...Jimmy Geaudreau taught how to tie my shoes when I was 4....true story....

Scotti...Not being able to tie your shoes `til you were four puts you in the catagory of a slow learner so how in the world did you become such a good picker...Just joshing, of course..I know what you mean about picking with some of the super pickers and it brings out the best in you, of course my best is no where near their talents but I try hard...Its nice to know you have some good friends out there and also on this forum...good luck, `til later....Willie

heres a link to some pics to that were taken at Canal Street Tavern in Dayton,Oh and my 15 mins of fame http://www.candlewater.com/midwest04/canalstreet01.html