Thread: Matt flinner

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

I really like the tone he gets. Can anyone tell me what instrument he records with? (Forgive me if there's already a thread on this . . .). Thanks. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

I *think* a Gil. Not sure though, as that fella has lots of mandos.
    Mandofiddle

it is definitely a Gilchrist....I agree, it is a SWEET sounding one to boot!

I just got the Walking on the Moon cd and, while I absolutely love the mandolin tone, I have to believe that a lot of the tone comes from....the player

Avi
    Avi

It's worth noting, for all the people who claim that tonebar bracing is somehow "better," that Matt's Gil is X-braced.

That said, I agree that a lot of the tone comes from the player. And Matt is one of the best.

{Edit:] When I commissioned a mandolin from my brother Lawrence, we spent some time talking about my goals for tone, response, etc. I mentioned that Matt seems to get a gorgeous tone out of his Gilchrist, both live and on recordings. Lawrence said that he knows that instrument well, and it's one of his favorite mandolins. A couple of years ago, Matt tested the waters by offering it for sale here on the cafe. He could have made a big profit by doing that, but he changed his mind and I'm glad he did. I think of it as very much "his" mandolin, just like Sam Bush and Hoss or Tim O'Brien and his Nugget.

"Few noises are so disagreeable as the sound of the picking of a mandolin."

I'm a real big fan of Matt's. Love his compositions and playing that always makes me think that speed and flash are way overrated. Needless to say, when he put on a workshop in the area I jumped at the opportunity.

He definitely was playing a Gil. I have no idea what number or anything like that, but it was definitely a work horse and had a goodly number of nicks and scratches. Sounded real nice- same subdued but smooth gorgeous tone as on his records.

During the break, I asked him to play Red Shift on my Flatiron which he kindly obliged. The Flatiron never sounded so good (great player and great tune) and he commented that it sounded great and had a lot more projection than the Gil. <-- Please note: I'm not saying 1) Matt said the Flatiron was better, or 2) I said the Flatiron was better. Each mandolin had a different sound and we both admired each other's instrument.

And for what it's worth, he's a super nice guy.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

Blog Entries

Cool. Just getting into him. Recommendations for first CD of his to get?
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

"The View From Here"
    MJB

Blog Entries

I really love Matt's tone! As a player he speaks to me on the same level as the Gris! The "Walking on The Moon" CD was a departure from his other two CDs, but I was hooked after a listen! "The View From Here" is also my favorite CD of his and probably my number 3 favorite mando CD and in my top 10 all time favorite recordings. I would certainly buy it first, then "Lattitudes." He came to Alaska once but missed him. Matt please come north again!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Quote Originally Posted by (mando_dan @ May 15 2007, 20:44)
    During the break, I asked him to play Red Shift on my Flatiron which he kindly obliged. #The Flatiron never sounded so good (great player and great tune) and he commented that it sounded great and had a lot more projection than the Gil. #<-- Please note: I'm not saying 1) Matt said the Flatiron was better, or 2) I said the Flatiron was better. #Each mandolin had a different sound and we both admired each other's instrument.

And for what it's worth, he's a super nice guy.
    Yes, Matt is humble and has a gift that he easily shares.

That's the great thing about this little world of mandolin we live in - you have different players, different styles, different instruments and all can co-exist in harmony. To quote the great Satchmo:

Hot can be cool and cool can be hot and each can be both but hot or cool man, jazz is jazz

Quote Originally Posted by (ratherbpickin @ May 15 2007, 22:39)
    Cool. Just getting into him. Recommendations for first CD of his to get?
    "View" is great, but also check out the two Phillips Flinner Grier records- they are superb and just plain ..."musical" - not flashy, just great music...
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

He played at my wedding when he was about 19. He had just started playing the mando and he was a great player then,and I had yet to build my first mandolin. Haven't seen him in a long time but he is a great guy.

My son takes lessons from Matt. He always plays a Gil during the lesson. Great sound, great player and all around great guy.

Matt was National banjo champ then a year or two later National Mando champ at Winfield. What blew me away was
    seeing him in first chair of the Modern Mandolin Quartet playing charts. That used to be Mike Marshall then Chris
    Thile's seat, so Matt is a reader too....I just knew him from new acoustic music...I've studied his transcriptions
    too, he did a mando book of Todd Phillips CD In The Pines. Reischmann & Marshall transcriptions. Flinner, Grier,
    & Phillips is one of my favorite bands. Last time they played the Freight in Berkeley,Mike Marshall showed up & added some spice.

I'm a Flinner fan. Not only does he play with great taste and tone, but his original melodies are beautiful and varied.

When is his new CD coming out? Anyone?

I think June or July.

I love Matt Flinner. Another great album that he plays on is Noam Pikelny's In The Maze. Really a lovely record. It's like the Phillips/Grier/Flinner stuff only with Noam on banjo. Very good.

Also, my teacher was telling me he thinks he uses dunlop 207s. I tried one myself and I can definitely hear a bit of that. Interesting pick, and cheap too.

Garnet Bruell

Matt Flinner has been one of my favorites for awhile now.
    I have all the solo albums plus the ones that he has done with Phillips and Grier. I like his style, he has his own kind of unique sound. I enjoy his compositions.

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

(Sigh.) Naturally it would be a Gil or such. Twice I've turned down opportunities to play one (Compton's and Long's)because of the risk that I'd just start to obsess. Wheeler's corollary to "know thyself" is "pre-empt thyself".

Yes, I realize that touch, timing, and taste make up most of tone, but I can't buy those either!

Great to hear that another Flinner CD is coming out. Thanks for responses, all. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

"If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air..."
    http://www.nemandolins.com/Camp-faculty.html
    MJB

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks MJB for mentioning Cape Cod Mandolin Camp. Yes, Matt Flinner will be teaching and performing there in September.

CCMC is organized around faculty-led bands. Matt Flinner will be leading the bluegrass band, so it will be a chance to study up close, rehearse and perform with him -- plus workshops, jams, and a faculty concert.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America