Thread: Monel / js74

Are there any similaritys between the d'darrio JS74 and the Monels would you say?
    I have never tried the JS74's but they are easy to get a hold of in England as opposed to the Monels so i wondered if they would be a good second choice.
    Chin chin,
    DD

I have tried one of each set, but unfortunately for comparison, not on the same mandolin. I can say they are similar in that they both have a darker sound than bronze strings. I think I actually like the JS74s better, but since I did not A/B the two sets on the same mandolin, that is just an impression.

Food for thought nevertheless...

I like the Monels alot better, the JS74's are the only strings I have ever taken off a mandolin before they were dead.

The JS's were just way too metallic and jangly sounding for me and had alot longer break in time than the Monels did. I really hoped they would work out, because I did like the tone of the Monels, but didn't like the thinner D & A stings and I hoped these would be a good alternative. I found that I liked the J67's (nickel) and the Dean Markley nickel med. guages alot more than the JS74's and second to the Monels.

I have gotten away from using the Monels in favor of the GHS silk & bronze's, but I do still use the Monels if I can't find the GHS's anywhere locally.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Quote Originally Posted by
    I found that I liked the J67's (nickel)
    It's interesting that everyone has a different take. The J67s are the string set I have liked the least of any set I have ever tried. I bought six sets of them on sale and put them on three different mandos at different times. I had breakage problems with them and hated the sound. On the the other hand, I didn't find the JS's "jangly" at all. I am not challenging your impressions at all, BTW, my experience was just different. I am sure it comes down to personal preference and the individual instruments we put the strings on.

hey Johnny, I don't know if anyone told you but I'm never wrong (that's the M.O. with the wife anyway)

what I wrote was a little confusing. I liked the J67's better than the JS74's, but not that much compared to other strings I have used. I wouldn't go out and by a set of J67's, but if the choice was between them or the JS74's, I'd go with the 67's. I had some breakage with the 67's, too, and found their sound weak compared to other strings I used on my Flatiron and Eastman.

The Dean Markley nickels are the ones I found I liked the best besides the Monels.

and I agree with the personal preference, I swear by the GHS silk & bronze and they are all I could want in a string. But judging from the popularity of the J74's, I can see not many feel the same way I do.
    Wes

Thanks for the input there,
    I actually like the thiner A course on the monels, it seems to free up my playing a bit.
    Anyway, I think the JS74's will be worth trying for what they cost.
    Cheers DD

You know, I've used the JS74's for a couple of years now and only recently tried the Gibson Bushies. I think I like the Gibsons better and the string gauge doesn't bother me a bit, in fact, I hardly noticed the difference. I might still be on the fence but I think I may be a Gibson monel convert.
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

I just changed out my Monels for some GHS phosper bronze and Im hating them. If they dont break in soon and lose the jangly sound I'll be taking em off here in a day or 2. Experiment gone wrong....lol...
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Quote Originally Posted by (mandolooter @ June 09 2007, 19:53)
    I just changed out my Monels for some GHS phosper bronze and Im hating them. If they dont break in soon and lose the jangly sound I'll be taking em off here in a day or 2. Experiment gone wrong....lol...
    try the Silk & Bronze, they sound played in from the start IMO
    Wes