Thread: Mandonaught s prototype

OK troops, following the wisdom of the great and the good in the luthiers forum, here's the latest incarnation of the mandonaught. #

May I present......

The mandonaught S

(for shortened)

I've cut about 2" from the forward bout to move the bridge deeper into the body. #12th fret neck join also moves in a little over a 14th, and I never play up there anyway!!

Back, sides, rosette & neck are walnut, top is sitka, binding & fretboard are rosewood, purfling maple.

scale is standard Stewmac 13 and a bit inches, bridge is ebony from two black keys off a dead piano.

I'm DELIGHTED with it!!

soundclip.......

here is is beside it's bigger brother (which I re-set the neck and made a maple bridge for.... it's now on Evil Bay, but I'll be keeping the S
    Quote Originally Posted by stout1
    Now, thanks to Martin and his guitar shaped mandola, I have been stricken with GBMAS, guitar body mandola acqusition syndrome
    hey!! I got my own Syndrome!!!!

Martin I don't mean to pick on you but the standard StewMac scale length is almost 14" (13 7/8").
    Bill Snyder

I like the look of the new one. Bridges too far up the body (like on those Royale things) just look a little "off". I think the shortened body shape is a little more distinctive also. I'm always amazed with the speed at which you put these together. Keep up the great work!

Looks great and your sound clip sounds great. You couldn't ask for more from a new design.
    Bill P.
    I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by (martinedwards @ June 11 2007, 14:42)
    here is is beside it's bigger brother (which I re-set the neck and made a maple bridge for.... it's now on Evil Bay, but I'll be keeping the S
    Boy, Martin, you are not much in the way of a self-promoter. Maybe a few of the Cafe denizens might be interested in bidding on your beauty. Check it out <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Martin-Edwards-Irish-Handmade-Mandonaught-Mandolin_W0QQitemZ150131711273QQihZ005QQcategory
    Z10179QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">here</a>.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

huh? wha?

yes it's on ebay, but there's self promotion and there's stepping on sponsors toes, y'know??

as for the speed, well, it's the last few weeks of term in the school where I teach and now that the seniors have left I have 23 free peroids (thats a mere 15 1/2 hours)on top of lunch & coffee break times!!

still I reckon theres only about 20 hours actual "hands on" time in one of these..... some day I'll have to get disciplined and keep a diary.......

The exams are all over, and no-one is really keen on the idea of working too hard.....like THAT makes a difference!!

and Curious Bill, where I come from 7/8 is still a bit of an inch!!

but then we're all metric over here in civilisation, so I might have that wrong
    Now, thanks to Martin and his guitar shaped mandola, I have been stricken with GBMAS, guitar body mandola acqusition syndrome

and there's a bid in on the maple mando!!

yay!! that'll pay for the trussrod fingerboard & tuners for the next two builds