Thread: Thile material on woodsongs

I am currently watching show number 287 on wood songs radio http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp
    It is almost 3 hours with mike Marshall and Chris thile on video, with high quality sound. the first hour or so is the actual radio show where they talk some and play some, and then for another hour they do a set for the online viewers and the live audience. it is AMAZINGLY good...it is just mind blowing and amazing, lots of good mandolin info too
    they also have a few nickel creek episodes and one with thile and Bryon Sutton and one with thile and the how to grow a band. it is amazing...watch it all!

I subscribed to the Podcast so I can listen to them on my iPod while doing the treadmill walk.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

Speaking of Woodsongs.... I just got an iPod for an early Fathers Day present. I downloaded the video of a Woodsongs show and tried to drag and drop it into iTunes. It appears those are WMV files and the iPod needs an MP4 (for the video). Anyone have a suggestion for a good (read "simple") convertion software so I can load them into iTune? I'm looking at DVDFab Platinum... but i don't see any mention of this conversion.

Lynn

The Woodsongs archives are my favorite site next to the Cafe'. The after show two man jam with Thile and Sutton get played around here a couple of times a week. If you're into great high energy acoustic guitar,take a peek at the Monte Montgomery archive. He shares the hour with the Pete Wernicks and its all very fine. I'm waiting patiently for the Jake Shimabukuro visit to make it into the archives.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by (Lynn Dudenbostel @ June 15 2007, 21:59)
    Speaking of Woodsongs.... I just got an iPod for an early Fathers Day present. I downloaded the video of a Woodsongs show and tried to drag and drop it into iTunes. It appears those are WMV files and the iPod needs an MP4 (for the video). Anyone have a suggestion for a good (read "simple") convertion software so I can load them into iTune? I'm looking at DVDFab Platinum... but i don't see any mention of this conversion.

Lynn
    Lynn,

there are alot of programs out there that can do the conversion, you can either buy a program or download freeware

here is an example

.wmv converter for iPod
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Thanks.... I'll give that one a try. You can't beat free! I downloaded a trial version ImTOO iPod Movie Converter, and it looks great and is easy to use, but the result is a video where the audio and video are out of sync. I think tomorrow I'll try your program.
    Thanks,
    Lynn

Wes... I downloaded the converter you suggested. It does a nice job, but the sound and video are still just a bit out of sync, but considerably better than the first converter I tried. Wonder if I set it for a higher quality... would that help the problem?
    Lynn

I set the quality I high as it would go and didn't notice it being out of sync (it was a small file, if that matters or not). I would try doing that and give it another shot. its the only freeware converter I could find that's pretty decent though. hope that helps, and watch out those iPods are habit forming!
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Watching it now, very cool. Thanks for the link.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Thanks Wes... I'm going to download a couple more shows today and try the higher quality settings. My first attempt with your converter was quite acceptable, and I can live with it that way, but it's just a fraction of a second out of sync. But, as small as the screen is, I only notice it occasionally. You are right about these things being addictive! It's just amazing what you can do with an iPod. I even found a steroe mic so you can use it as an MP3 recorder. Would never have dreamed of something so small with such capability even 10 years ago.

Dude

Lynn, I'm never without mine. I have audio mike as well and about 20gigs of tunes on there. When it kicks the electronic bucket, I will immediately go purchase another. It's a great device. Podcasts are great, too.
    Steven E. Cantrell
    Campanella A

Lynn, when I first got my ipod I ran into little obstacles like converting files and what not, and if you call apple they help you out with all sorts of things like that. also, i am not a fan of steeling music, but on lime wire there are a lot of rare cool mandolin performances that you can download. just don't download stuff that you normally could buy

This is another really great converter, if you have a Mac...

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

I like the difference in style between the earlier Thile woodsongs show with Sutton and the recent one with the new band. It's always been impressive to me that as good as Thile is, he keeps changing.
    Garnet Bruell

Thanks folks. I agree, if I can buy it, I'll buy it. A bunch of UT students have been prosecuted for stealing music on the net. It happens, and it's just not right. I'm open for suggestions on some of the better podcasts.

Garnet, you are so right about how Chris' style is evolving. I even noticed his right hand technique is considerably different from a few years back. He now curls all of his fingers into the palm of his right hand. It's like he said on Woodsongs..... PRACTICE!

Lynn

Default Re: Thile material on woodsongs

I know this thread is ancient and this is a long shot, but does anyone have a copy of the video for the full show? Part of the show can be found on Youtube, but unfortunately Woodsong's website no longer has the archive dating this far back.