Thread: Ali, the amazing

Hello, one and all.

Ali Stephens has just informed me --much to my pleasant surprise, I might add-- that she just gave the UK premiere of my Diferencias at a concert for the Dean and Chadlington Festival in the Cotswolds, near Oxford.

Other than Ali herself, the artists involved in this festival include guitarist Craig Ogden and... *drumroll, please*... Louis de Bernieres (of Captain Corelli fame) offering poetry readings. What dignified company, indeed!

To make the feat DOUBLY impressive, Amazing Ali played my (admittedly quite difficult) piece on her 1985 Pecoraro octave mandolin (!) We common mortals, in the meanwhile, must struggle with the troublesome cross-pickings the Deranged Composer wrote in this score, even on the dainty, litte, "regular" mandolin...

I thank and congratulate Ali warmly on what I am absolutely sure was a marvellous performance.

Brava, bravissima!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Dear Victor,

Wonderful, to read that this absolute fantastic composition of yours has found its way in the mandolin repertoire!

I am sure Alison gave an excellent performance of it!

Congrats, both to you and Alison.

Alex

Thank you, Alex. In procuring my Diferencias "repertoire-status", might I... *ahem*... incriminate a certain, not-to-be-mentioned Dutch pedagogue? His "crimes" are, of course, many, not to forget the contents of Sebastiaan's solo CD, and much besides that.

Cheers,

Victor

Thank you. I hope I did the piece justice. It certainly went down well in what was a very interesting and fun programme. We haven't done one of these poetry and music evenings for ages (about 4 or 5 years) so it was a little "fly by the seat of your pants" - the Diferncias was the work I knew the best! It replaced a guitar solo by Bedounis that Craig hadn't played for ages and didn't have the time to work back up. Great fun was had by all though and a lady came up to me and asked about my Octave mandolin (AKA: THE BEAST) and said what a glorious instrument it is and how much she enjoyed that piece!
    WELL DONE VICTOR!
    All the very best to all
    ps. there was a recent article on me in the Classical Music Magazine..... there is a link to it on my News Page of my website if you are interested......

Indeed, a fine octave-mandolin --as I am sure Ali's Pecoraro is-- is truly a GLORIOUS-sounding instrument! Also, since my Diferencias were conceived in the spirit of the folk lutenist, making up variations on a familiar melody right on the spot, the lower octave has a certain "cultural" ring to it, as well.

Of course, not all OM's are equal, or equally good; not all luthiers stand on the quality-level of Pecoraro; and, as for OM-players, well... I am sure that Ali is far MORE EQUAL than most of us.

Warm congratulations to Ali, and cheers to all!

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by (vkioulaphides @ June 27 2007, 08:55)
    Indeed, a fine octave-mandolin --as I am sure Ali's Pecoraro is-- is truly a GLORIOUS-sounding instrument! Also, since my Diferencias were conceived in the spirit of the folk lutenist, making up variations on a familiar melody right on the spot, the lower octave has a certain "cultural" ring to it, as well.

Of course, not all OM's are equal, or equally good; not all luthiers stand on the quality-level of Pecoraro; and, as for OM-players, well... I am sure that Ali is far MORE EQUAL than most of us.
    That sounds absolutely fascinating. I'm trying to imagine that piece played an octave down, and with the longer scale length, and I'm in awe! Of course, the Pecoraro has a relatively short scale for an OM, but to achieve the sort of dexterity required for this piece on it boggled the mind.

Having played Ali's wonderful Pecoraro "Beast", I'm sure it sounded spectacular!

Martin

"I'm trying to imagine that piece played an octave down, and with the longer scale length, and I'm in awe!"

I've played the piece on octave mandolin, at home (not in public, I've only played it on mandolin in public). If one comes to mandolin family instruments via the guitar, as I do, in some ways it is easier to play such a piece on octave. My octave mandolin is short scale (a re-strung Weber tenor mandola, 17.5"").

Although Victor may not approve, I've also played "Differencias" on classical guitar (as written), and it works very well IMHO (Tamara V. heard me play it on guitar, she appeared to like it). I haven't tried it yet on the lute, but I think it would work also (it would be best to "intabulate", or put into French tab, first before attempting a realization on lute, although one could simply play from the score, in which case it would pitched upwards from as written).
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by
    "Although Victor may not approve..."
    Oh, but I do, Robert, I DO!

Music is music-- that's that. And, in this case, the "conceptual plunge" required of ANY transcription is indeed not difficult to take. Sure, guitar, lute, any plucked instrument that would allow for the effect to come across, is perfectly suitable. In fact, I would be absolutely delighted to hear this piece on whatever sort of lute(s) it might be playable on.

Pick/pluck on!

Cheers,

Victor

Maybe we need to establish diferencias.com (correct spelling?) to host recordings of the many and growing variants of this soon-to-be established repertoire piece. Hmmmm... Diferencias duet with tuba and ukulele? Sorry!!

With great respect...

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Weeeeeeeeell, Jim... one ought to set some boundaries.

Once, in my arts management years, we were holding auditions. First thing in the morning, a violinist played Bach's Chaconne; next, a pianist, the Bach-Busoni version of the piece; then, THREE more pianists with the same; then another violinist, with... the Chaconne. After lunch-break, a marimba-player offered... Bach's Chaconne! And so on, and so forth.

By the end of the day, every time a hapless singer, trumpeter, flutist, triangle-player, what-have-you-player, would go on stage, the (by now vexed to delirium) committee members would ask, with sheepish, coy politeness, "Do you, perhaps, have the Bach Chaconne on your repertoire?"

If it's good enough for J.S., it SURE is good enough for me. Yet I should hope that I'll be spared this bitter cup.

Cheers,

Victor

I recall there is an LP of years gone by (natch!) called something like "They All Played Maple Leaf Rag."

I also consulted a few of my record collector friends and amassed 20 or 30 versions of Body and Soul.

Personally I am working only on the mandolin for Diferencias.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (vkioulaphides @ June 27 2007, 13:56)
    Once, in my arts management years, we were holding auditions. First thing in the morning, a violinist played Bach's Chaconne; next, a pianist, the Bach-Busoni version of the piece; then, THREE more pianists with the same; then another violinist, with... the Chaconne. After lunch-break, a marimba-player offered... Bach's Chaconne! And so on, and so forth.
    Chaconne à son goût!

And when the world inquires, "Oh!
    Now, Bach on tuba, too?"
    Just play your heart out, saying,
    "Chaconne a son gout."

The only really "bad" music-making is the kind where performers do NOT play their heart out.

Cheers,

Victor

Hi,

Nice one Ali! Diferencias performed on Beast?! Now who's showing off? I'm amazed and jealous as always. Excuse me....I have to go practise.

Chris..