Thread: Trinity college mandola

Hey Everyone! I am wondering if anyone owns and plays the TC Mandola? My second day playing this and I still have yet to make an opinion on it. Hard to play fiddle tunes on the longer scale (17"), but very punchy while playing open chords especially minor chords. I find the intonation is a little off though and the A string seems a little loose W/t weird overtones. I know it's an import, but the only one I could afford. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have one, but not the longer scale, and I LOVE mine! I use it mostly to play fiddle tunes on for my own enjoyment, altho' I did play it in my chamber music "debut" at AMGuSS 2 weeks ago; I think it has a lovely celtic sound, but received compliments on that performance as well. Have you tried adjusting the bridge? It may need a little tweaking, and I did put better strings on mine; I tried Thomastiks, but a friend who has one swears by those flat wound Jazz ones from LaBella, so I've got a set in the wings for next time. I know I've weighed in on other TC threads from time to time; do a search for Trinity College and see what others have said. Yvonne in Ohio
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I bought a used TC 'Dola 6 weeks ago (never played Mando) #and very much enjoy playing slower/mid tempo songs I know from my Gypsy Jazz guitar genre such as Eastern Europe tunes Dejem Dejem, Kad ja Pod joh Na Bembasu (Sarajevo) and Sombre Dimanche (Gloomy Sunday). #I've played some Celtic jig style leads, but no songs. #I haven't noticed any intonation problems and don't know what Mfgr strings it came with. #It seems to have a little too heavy poly-urethane finish dampening the tone a little, but I think it is a good #1st instrument to test the waters of a Mandola.
    # # # # I printed the chord voicings off this sight for Tenor Banjo -same as Mandola.
    # # # # So glad I got around to trying this, as it has helped my tone and phrasing on Gypsy Picking on guitar.
    # # # Rocky
    Rockne Dick

Hi.....new here;can anyone advise whether or not a TC mandola can be set up as an octave mandolin,hopefully just with a string change?....I see these MK's with a 19 inch scale,and there's only two inches difference ? Thanks...

2 inches is a lot of real estate with these things. #I would say no. You'd also have to re-slot the nut and bridge and calculate the string tension load with what the instrument might bear because you'd need pretty heavy strings to get the tuning at 17". You'd probably do all that and end up with an instrument that's hard to play and not great to hear.

If I were you, I'd enjoy the 'dola for what it is, or flip it and buy an octave before the prices spike again.

Welcome to the cafe and good luck whatever you decide to do.

Steve

Perryman,
    I'd say it's possible but not advisable. You'd need much thicker strings to get those notes on such a short scale and still have enough tension for the thing to sound well.

Steve L is right on, imho. If what you want is an Octave, get an octave. 19" is pretty short for an OM, too, btw. I'd suggest 20" or more... and I'd say that 22" is a more typical scale length. If your hands are big enough to manage it, the longer scale lengths do generally give you more sustain and jangle (and less punch).
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Hi Steve L and Otterly....just what I was wondering[trying to convert mandola to octave]...many thanks for your help,it's much appreciated.

hmmm interesting how someone chooses a username so much different then their own and so much like another's. Which BTW is my REAL name.

Regardless welcome.