Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henderson

Look in the classifieds... *The* Henderson? #As in Wayne Henderson? As in Clapton's Guitar? #Tell me more!

yes
    Russ Jordan

Monster tone there.

Saw Wayne Hederson at the Crooked Road Project in Williamsburg, Virginia a while back and if his mandolins sound half as good as his guitars the one in the classifieds must sound awesome. It sure commands a nice price!

Also he is one heck of a picker!

I had the privilege of taking a 3 week guitar-building class with Wayne in the 1980s. Great guy, amazing builder and incredible player.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (Zako @ July 18 2007, 22:10)
    Look in the classifieds... *The* Henderson? #As in Wayne Henderson? As in Clapton's Guitar? #Tell me more!
    .... they are hard to come by. #New or used.

Nolan, Yes, the same as in Clapton's Guitar. As I only heard the story verbally, I will let somebody who actually read the story to provide it here. It is great.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Well, I read the book about a year ago. #That's a high standard to live up to. #
    I recall that in the book, the author talked about the guitar Henderson was making like it was the pinnacle of all guitars. So that's gotta be a godly mandolin.

Read an interview with him a while ago and it suggested the best way to get an instrument from him was not with cash but an offer to trade something he really wanted.
    Style is the sum total of your limitations

the guy that's selling the Henderson made some videos of it and his other mandolins a few months back. It sounded good to me from what i heard on the clip.

Videos

Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Compared to what his flat tops bring , this sounds like a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by (12 fret @ July 19 2007, 17:24)
    Compared to what his flat tops bring , this sounds like a bargain
    What do they bring? Because a few years ago it was $1500.... but getting him to actually build you one was the trick.

Last guitar I saw on ebay(7/19) went for $10.900. Seen others a few months ago with upgraded woods pushing $20K

This is my first post. Just lurking and I found this post about Wayne.

I was at camp with him about two weeks ago. He goes the first week of camp at Puget Sound Guitar Workshop in Washington State every year. I've been going four years. I was in his flatpicking class the first year I attended. When the book came out about the Clapton guitars I found out that the author had followed him that year while working on the book and was in my class. Alan belongs to the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum.

My guitar teacher is a friend of Waynes. He owns a Henderson guitar and "A" style mandolin. He got everybody at camp who owns a Henderson instrument together with Wayne and asked me take some group pictures. #I haven't counted yet, but I think there's about a dozen people and about 15 instruments -- guitars, mandolins, and ukuleles.

I could probably get an "A" style mandolin from Wayne sooner than a guitar, but I would rather have a guitar. His mandolins are, however, just as awesome as his guitars. One of my cabin mates this summer has an "F" style Henderson -- dark sunburst and fancy abalone inlay on the headstock. All of Wayne's instruments have great tone, fit, and finish.

He doesn't keep a written list of guitars he is working on and he finishes guitars for those who need them most, first. Since the book came out, he has "orders" from all over the world. He said that he is still making about 30 guitars per year.

Right now the only thing I have that is an original Henderson is a Hoowee Stick he carved with my pocket knife from a thin branch off a madrona tree growing along the road. #Wayne also loves to pull your leg and tell stories.

If you have an opportunity to buy a Henderson mandolin -- take out a second mortgage and buy it. A new one would cost less, but you might be old and gray before you get one.

You might just be right with the 'old and grey' quote. I wrote to Mr. Henderson many months ago, enquiring about a place on his mandolin waiting list. I am still waiting for a reply. Not a big problem, glad that he is well.

According to the Richmond Times Dispatch, Wayne has just been added to lineup for the National Folk Festival here in Richmond, VA in October. Can hardly wait. What a fantastic event - free & highly recommended.

Donnie

I was at a concert at a small venu in Alabama listening to Norman Blake and Tony Rice playing together. Norman had just gotten a new OOO, slot head from Wayne. The normally laid back Norman was stoked. He was like a kid with a big smile on his face. He was playing with an enthusiasm and drive like I have never seen from him. To emphaize the point, Tony Rice kept turning to him with looks of surprise and bewilderment. It was a great sounding instrument and those guys were old school fantastic.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Mike Guggino from the Steep Canyon Rangers plays a Henderson F5
    Wes

Really? I saw the Steep Canyon Rangers in July and Mike was playing an awesome Kimble F-5

maybe he got rid of it, he at least had one in 2005 according to the website, so he might be playing the Kimble all the time by now. the link above goes to a pic of it. i've seen them in concert before, but it was before i took up the mandolin and i didn't pay any attention.
    Wes

The Henderson formerly played by Mike Guggino was purchased by a cafe member--maybe he will chime in. It arrived with its headstock broken and the last I heard it was in Wayne's shop for a fix.
    Russ Jordan

I'm happy (and Lucky) to say I own a Henderson F5 #42. I'm the original owner, she's a little over 20 years old now, and (if I do say) it has incredible tone and volume..I got to show it to Wayne about 2 years ago, after having not seen him in about 10 years, he was very pleased with how well it sounded..Needless to say, so am I!!! He makes great mandos!!!!!
    Jeff
    Jeffrey S Wagner

I never saw the Henderson in the Classifieds back in July. What was he asking for it? Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeffrey S Wagner

As a change from my F4s, I bought the Henderson recently in the classifieds and it is wonderful. Beautiful to hold, see, smell and play --- it plays easily and has that F5 sound that I like in old time music. I feel lucky indeed. Doug in Vermont

Mike Guggino's Henderson did indeed arrive with a broken neck, last October. Its still with Wayne being repaired.
    You cannot imagine how it feels to look into a mandolin case, see a 'dream instrument' and not be able to play it!!!
    All things happen for a reason. While I'm waiting for Wayne to repair that F5 I've played the heck out of a Luke Thompson F5 that has really opened up lately and has become a joy. I also picked up Russ Jordan's Henderson A - model last year -- its a sweet one as well!

Regards,
    Charlie Carr
    New Orleans
    (Where the breaks are in the Levees)