Thread: Bubble wrap marks

On two occasions over the last couple of years I have received instruments shipped with bubble wrap used as the first layer of padding (i.e. wrapped directly against the finish). #In each instance the wrap left faint marks (slightly irregular blotches) where the bubbles pressed against the finish. #These are not too obvious (mostly visible close up when the surface is viewed at an angle), but I would like to eliminate them if possible. #

Neither case appears to involve a finish that's soft because it's new or uncured (one instance was a near mint classical guitar from the early 1960s with a gloss finish). #The packages could have been exposed to significant heat during shipping, but if so, there doesn't seem to be general deterioration of the finish in either case. #

Regular instrument polish (Dunlop brand guitar polish in a squirt bottle) doesn't seem to have any effect. #Does anyone know of a way to remove these marks?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. #
    JWC
    Jim

"I can afford the instrument--just not the divorce."

I think that any very fine polishing media that's used to polish plastic material such as Perspex,would be fine to use.I usually use a Metal Polishing wadding called ''Duraglit'. It's a cotton wadding impregnated with an extremely fine polishing compound in a light oil. I usually get a lump of it,wrap it in kitchen towel & squeeze all the excess oil from it. I then screw it up into a tight pad & use it to polish away any surface blemishes. I used it recently to polish out quite a large scratch on my Mandolin. I then wipe of the polishing compound & polish the area with Dulop Guitar polish .If the blemishes are only very faint,it should only take a matter of minutes to polish them out.
    There are quite a few posts on here dealing with scratches & polishing if you want to trawl through,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Saska: Many thanks for the assistance. I will try your method.
    Jim

"I can afford the instrument--just not the divorce."